To all the posters that have lost faith in U2 circa 2004/2006...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

With all alternate versions in place, would you consider HTDAAB a classic?

• Yes

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I have a question for ya! Just consider that HTDAAB, the final product got all the alternate versions of the songs in there such as...

1. A better produced, fuller Native Son instead of Vertigo.

2. All Because Of You (alternate) instead of the album version.

3. A better produced, possibly acoustic Crumbs (or electric along the lines of the HQ version) instead of Crumbs From Your Table.

4. Sometimes (alternate) instead of the album version. I'd like to add here that lately I've been preferring the alternate version because it has a lot more feeling. It genuinely feels like a sad song instead of the pop grammy hit on the album.

5. Yahweh (alternate) :drool: instead of the album version.

etc. etc.

So if this had actually happened, would you consider HTDAAB to be as good as their past classics? As good as JT / AB / UF / Pop / War / Zooropa.. whatever? Please answer the poll. I'm curious to know what you guys think. :wink:

PS: Let's not turn this into a 00s bashing thread please. Thanks.

1.gif

No, leave acousticy sounding songs off the albums, save that for b-sides to go on singles.

No, I don't like the alternate versions at all. A few subtle differences in lyrics and overall production doesn't really change HTDAAB for me. It still feels exactly the same. I kind of feel like I'm in the minority, in that respect, because most people who don't like the album tracks seem to like the alternate versions.

I'd probably be a HTDAAB basher if it were made up of the alternate versions. Especially that dreadful SYCMIOYO version, which has to be one of the biggest clunkers U2 has ever released.

I'd like ABOY more if the alternate version - or at least its lyrics! - had been used, though.

Personally, I don't know if I'd consider it a classic but I would enjoy it a hell of a lot more than the album they ended up with. I have to say I really like Native Son, the chorus and bridge especially! Wish it was produced better and given a fuller sound, not too loud like Vertigo but just right. And ABOY (alt) I flat out prefer to the album one. Same with Crumbs (HQ). Lately, same with Sometimes. After all, their biggest crime was sitting on these songs and working on them forever, trying to make them perfect.. instead of going with the initial instincts, that can be seen in the alternate versions.

(all IMO)

No way the album would be a classic with the alternate versions...
Even though I looooove:drool: those versions, no way they were ready to make a consistent tracklist and go on in the album. U2 did well by suspending those versions, but it's a shame they kept them only as digital releasements... They could've been b-sides...

Native Son kicks ass and the instrumental is better than in Vertigo, but the lyrics despite more worked and pleasant, they wouldn't be appealing in live performances and they can keep the flame of the song itself. I'd like to see Vertigo's lyrics in NS instrumental...:drool:

SYCMIOYO, of course the album version is better. The alternate one seems recorded in one take and it doesn't seem to have any kind of production, just basic work in a little studio. And the chorus lacks comething without those lines... It doesn't mean that I don't like the alternate one...

ABOY... In the alternate version I almost can't hear what Bono's singing! And the chorus is not so appealing as in the final version. But the lyrics seem better in some lines than in the album version... Anyway, my favourite version is the single version... Yeah, that one put all the others in the trash can!:drool:

Yahweh... being this song my favourite ever, I prefer the album version. Better production, the atmospheric keyboards contribute to the spirit of the lyrics and the several soundings don't sound so... scrambled:| The only thing I miss are those lines that were erased from the alternate version. Anyway, I have to admit that when I heard the alternate version for the first time...:drool:

Fast Cars vs Xanax And Wine: no matter how much I like Xanax with its rocking and raw feeling that would certainly rock in live performances, Fast Cars kick it off. It's so original and different... There's no other song in U2's catalogue that doesn't seem like the band got in a arabic bazar and started to play there...:drool: What a promotional video this song could have given!... Can't understand why it was kept off of the final tracklist...

Crumbs... totally agree that production blew the song away... What about something similar to the DVD performance? Wouldn't it be better?

I just imagine if we had the album in the 2003 fall, how would it be? Well, Mercy, Miracle Drug, Crumbs and AMAAW, we know they came after the 2003 sessions as final songs. So, we'd have Native Son, Xanax & Wine, SYCMIOYO (alt), Yahweh (alt), ABOY (alt), LAPOE (probably with the ATYCLB production), OOTS (similar to that snippet of a previous version once leaked), probably a more quintessential version of COBL, we had Smile and AYGWF and the ATYCLB outtakes released in the Rare and Unreleased...
Does it sound like an album with potential to become a classic? IMO NOT!!

GibsonGirl said:
No, I don't like the alternate versions at all. A few subtle differences in lyrics and overall production doesn't really change HTDAAB for me. It still feels exactly the same. I kind of feel like I'm in the minority, in that respect, because most people who don't like the album tracks seem to like the alternate versions.

I basically agree with everything GibsonGirl said, the alternate versions don't improve any of the songs. Plus, no Mercy, just to through that out there. The songs just aren't very good and the album doesn't have a collective theme running through it. The album is a mess through and through.

I wouldn't complain in having that version of the Dvd , for Crumbs

And I WOULD NOT certainly complain having Xanax as closer ...... That would be just .........

Imagine u traveling in the car .......... And the 'guitar ' taking u in a trip on the "Don't u worry " ........

Yeah but that's it , specialy for me which does consider Bomb a classic , quite ironic , sometimes I feel here like , in a war are with a flag sayin "Bomb Rocks" , and the bombs just keep coming at me :wink: :lol:

you would have thought U2 would have learned by now to stop over producing certain songs due to how superb some of them sound when played live and more stripped down.

I'd love U2 to make an album with a White Stripes esque recording process of having a completely raw sound and having no over-production whatsoever. That would be amazing although i doubt it will happen :(

anyway, i like the Bomb but no way is it a classic.

ABOY alt. - prefer the lyrics, prefer the way Bono is singing, prefer the more raw sound. Really, really hate the chorus. Give the alt. version a 10% spit and shine and get a new chorus and I'm all for it.

Xanax & Wine - Adore it. Prefer it over Fast Cars. Just needs a little cleaning up. Wish they'd gone with this one. I've listened to Xanax probably 10 times more than any song on the actual Bomb.

Native Son - Prefer it to Vertigo. NO, it wouldn't be a big hit single like Vertigo. NO, I don't care either. Only needs a little touch up in a few places. Like removing that hand clapping sound.

Sometimes - Prefer this more relaxed take on the song, but not the result itself, if that makes sense. Take the basics of Sometimes, put it through the Stateless machine and instead of trying Really.Fucking.Hard for it to be a big single, make it one of those little nice centrepiece songs, sitting on an album where tracks like One Step Closer, Velvet Dress, Tryin' to Throw have sat before. Put the new chorus back into it as well.

Mercy - This is, what, a 6 minutes song? and from about a minute in Bono isn't singing, he's just shouting. The framework is there for them to do something really cool, but I feel that put through the Bomb Production Machine we would have gotten something really overblown with a yelling Bono just giving it an extra kick of crapness. His delivery is just awful. Terrible. It's got the framework, but they need to be very fucking careful they don't turn into a big wank of a song, and someone needs to have word with Bono about the delicate art of not giving people a headache before they've even hit the 2 minute mark. He should know better. Way better. What used to be his 2 greatest strengths have rapidly become his 2 greatest weaknesses.

Yahweh - Fuck off. Lamest U2 effort ever. By a mile. I haven't heard the alternate version, but it would have to be an improvement that matches me going from the basketball player I am today to beating Michael Jordan circa 1993 one on one for it to even get close.

Crumbs - Don't care for it really. Maybe something a bit denser, obviously it's over produced, tone it down a bit, and I want to hear Bono stew, not belt. I want him to sound like he's sitting across the table from me, and he's angry and I can hear that in his voice, but he's a calm angry. Again, terrible, terrible delivery from someone who knows way better.

City of Blinding Lights - Fix the production, bring Edge to the front and let that guitar part drive it.

Miracle Drug - Get rid of it.

Love & Peace - Bono, at least spend 10 minutes on the lyrics.

A Man & A Woman - Awesome B side.

Original - Sell it to Robbie Williams. Take 10% and you'll make far more money off it than you ever would as a U2 single.

Zootlesque said:

:up:

I really dislike the album version of Yahweh, otherwise known as Yahwearespinninglaundrywithbeachrocks :(

There's a real harshness in much of the production of HTDAAB. I like the alternate versions of some of the songs because they breath a little air into the sometimes grating final mixes that we ended up with. For example, I prefer the openness of Native Son to Vertigo, but there's probably no way that song would have had the universal appeal of the the latter - especially with the gun lyrics.

I also think a fleshed-out Mercy and Fast Cars could have added quite a bit to the album. With Crumbs, I would have axed it. To me, the music of this song simply doesn't match its message.

In terms of 'losing faith' in U2, I actually haven't...I'm still excited about the possibility of them coming up with something unique and fresh.

Zootlesque said:
I have a question for ya! Just consider that HTDAAB, the final product got all the alternate versions of the songs in there such as...

1. A better produced, fuller Native Son instead of Vertigo.

2. All Because Of You (alternate) instead of the album version.

3. A better produced, possibly acoustic Crumbs (or electric along the lines of the HQ version) instead of Crumbs From Your Table.

4. Sometimes (alternate) instead of the album version. I'd like to add here that lately I've been preferring the alternate version because it has a lot more feeling. It genuinely feels like a sad song instead of the pop grammy hit on the album.

etc. etc.

So if this had actually happened, would you consider HTDAAB to be as good as their past classics? As good as JT / AB / UF / Pop / War / Zooropa.. whatever? Please answer the poll. I'm curious to know what you guys think. :wink:

PS: Let's not turn this into a 00s bashing thread please. Thanks.

1. Native Son isn't as interesting to me as Vertigo. Vertigo rocks harder and is just a fun disposable rock song, Native Son tries to be too much, but the bridge is incredible.

EDGE = Vertigo

2. The alt All Because of You kills the album version in every way possible: musically, lyrically, sheer awesomeness. Hell, the arrangement of the single mix + the alt version lyrics would be the best.

EDGE = All Because of You (Alt)

3. Crumbs from Your Table is about 67485 times better on the HQ version, I can actually understand Bono and hear differences in his voice from part to part, imagine that.

EDGE = Crumbs HQ

4. The alt Sometimes... is just dreadful, I agree with Axver wholeheartedly, it's just boring. After a year and half, the album version sounds more forced than anything, but it's still a great track.

EDGE = Sometimes Bono Can't Think Of Shorter Song Titles

5. This song is one of the few U2 songs I have disliked over time. It's amazing live + acoustically, if it were more like the live arrangement I'd love it, but it's not, so screw it.

EDGE = Bono's Haircut.

In my perfect world, HTDAAB would be better with Fast Cars, the aformentioned ABOY mix, Smile, maybe Mercy and maybe an acoustically twinged Yahweh, being able to hear Edge in COBL, a less contrived Sometimes..., NO BLACK EYED PEAS LYRIC IN LOVE AND PEACE :sad: and a different track order.

Song by song, it's one of my favorite U2 albums, but I rarely listen to the original album all the way through over my personal tracklist:

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Crumbs from Your Table (HQ Version)
4. Smile
5. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
6. Miracle Drug
(-- Side Break --)
7. Love and Peace or Else
8. All Because of You (Alternate Version)
9. Fast Cars
10. A Man and a Woman
11. Original of the Species (Single)
12. Mercy or Yahweh (Live Arrangement)

I actually like the Bomb (Just get rid of Man and a Woman and ONe Step Closer) My personal list on it would be

1.) City of Blinding Lights
2.) Original of the Species
3) Xanax and Wine
4) All Because of You
5) Smile
6) Miracle Drug
7) Love and Peace or Else
8) Vertigo
9) Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
10) Crubs from Your Table
11) Are You Gonna Wait Forever?

It's more of a classic now than it would have been if the alternate versions were there in place of what we have.

Earnie Shavers said:
ABOY alt. - prefer the lyrics, prefer the way Bono is singing, prefer the more raw sound. Really, really hate the chorus. Give the alt. version a 10% spit and shine and get a new chorus and I'm all for it.

Xanax & Wine - Adore it. Prefer it over Fast Cars. Just needs a little cleaning up. Wish they'd gone with this one. I've listened to Xanax probably 10 times more than any song on the actual Bomb.

Native Son - Prefer it to Vertigo. NO, it wouldn't be a big hit single like Vertigo. NO, I don't care either. Only needs a little touch up in a few places. Like removing that hand clapping sound.

Sometimes - Prefer this more relaxed take on the song, but not the result itself, if that makes sense. Take the basics of Sometimes, put it through the Stateless machine and instead of trying Really.Fucking.Hard for it to be a big single, make it one of those little nice centrepiece songs, sitting on an album where tracks like One Step Closer, Velvet Dress, Tryin' to Throw have sat before. Put the new chorus back into it as well.

Mercy - This is, what, a 6 minutes song? and from about a minute in Bono isn't singing, he's just shouting. The framework is there for them to do something really cool, but I feel that put through the Bomb Production Machine we would have gotten something really overblown with a yelling Bono just giving it an extra kick of crapness. His delivery is just awful. Terrible. It's got the framework, but they need to be very fucking careful they don't turn into a big wank of a song, and someone needs to have word with Bono about the delicate art of not giving people a headache before they've even hit the 2 minute mark. He should know better. Way better. What used to be his 2 greatest strengths have rapidly become his 2 greatest weaknesses.

Yahweh - Fuck off. Lamest U2 effort ever. By a mile. I haven't heard the alternate version, but it would have to be an improvement that matches me going from the basketball player I am today to beating Michael Jordan circa 1993 one on one for it to even get close.

Crumbs - Don't care for it really. Maybe something a bit denser, obviously it's over produced, tone it down a bit, and I want to hear Bono stew, not belt. I want him to sound like he's sitting across the table from me, and he's angry and I can hear that in his voice, but he's a calm angry. Again, terrible, terrible delivery from someone who knows way better.

City of Blinding Lights - Fix the production, bring Edge to the front and let that guitar part drive it.

Original - Sell it to Robbie Williams. Take 10% and you'll make far more money off it than you ever would as a U2 single.

I get your points that you are making, but do you really need to swear and abuse the album like that?

I reckon its good enough already, but I haven't heard the alternate versions.

Definitely not a classic - even with the alternate versions.

because it didn't break any boundaries - and it didn't raise the bar for other bands to live up to.

I think it could one day be regarded as a classic but I doubt it.
Miracle Drug is an appalling choice for song 2, the album loses momentum at that point and struggles to get it back. In fact I dont think it should be on the album at all, or if it has to be, it should be the third track from the end.
Fast Cars should have been included as a track in every country. I live in the Uk, so I was lucky enough to have it as track 12, so for me I count it as a legitimate album track.
I have yet to hear MErcy, but if it is half as good as people say it is then maybe it should have been included. I have no problem with U2 albums being long.
So with these changes in place i think the album would be a lot better.
I don't think any of the alternative versions would improve the album. A few tweaks here and there and a couple of extra tracks, possibly removing Miracle Duff and the album would have been rightly regarded as a classic.

I don't think the alt versions make it a great album, but I think the alt versions of many of those songs represent a fork in the road point for those songs. Native Son & Xanax became almost completely different things, ABOY gets a 70% overhaul. I don't think where these songs are at at this point necessarily makes the Bomb better, but I think you can see what the other path was, and I think that was a better path to go down. Classic? No. U2 are a long way from that, both in what they put out and what they could have put out.

And apologies to COBL_04 for the sailor talk. :wink:

Even though I like Native Son, Vertigo kills it in its disposableness(?). Like someone else said Native Son is trying too hard to be something and it just ain't making it.

SYCMIOYO alt version = :yuck:

ABOY alt version...don't like it...lyrics wise it's better, but the chorus (in this version) blows it for me for some reason

Yahweh alt version - I could take or leave that song either version

Xanax and Wine - I like the guitar, but I don't like the lyrics or the singing in general on that song. Plus Fast Cars is such a cool song it make X&W kinda pale in comparison for me. This is strange 'cos I'm dying for U2 to do an album with funky, loud guitar playing which is exactly how the guitar playing is in this song. But, for whatever reason, this song just doesn't do it for me.

I like HTDAAB just the way it is.

I think everything U2 has put out is classic in its own way. The albums are collections of stories shadowing various eras of the lives of the band members. They would be boring as all hell putting out the same work album after album. I would certainly lose interest. Granted I don't feel U2 has put out anything earth shattering since Joshua Tree, my own personal opinion and personal favorite, a definite classic.....but their material since then has been classically different. I guess I am just a fan through and through and no matter what material they put out I accept but I don't have to love it.

Earnie Shavers said:

And apologies to COBL_04 for the sailor talk. :wink:

You're forgiven! :D: Lol. Anyway on topic, I think it was GibsonGirl who said that HTDAAB was a great album on first listen, but its lastability lacked a little because there wasn't much else to discover, as opposed to an album like Zooropa, where there is. Now i love HTDAAB but I find that to be pretty true.

NO, because the quality of the songs is just average and most of the lyrics are just not good.

Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

let me laugh....your comments about Mercy and Yahweh are just ridiculous.....:|

The alternate version of All Because of You sounds too derivative of a Seventies Soul number. I prefer the less plagarized version on the album.

Sometimes... - Album version is way better. Im sure im in a minority who thinks its a great song, one of their best. The alternate version sounds quite bad... and thats putting it nicely

All because of you - the alternate version is good, but i still prefer the album version

Yahweh - i think both versions are really good, but if i was choosing, i would have to go with the album version.

Vertigo walks all over Native Son, which isnt a bad song in its own right

Crumbs i really like the HQ version, and the album version is pretty cool too. Id be happy with either version.

And Xanax and wine is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Fast Cars.

SO to answer he question, i dont believe alternate versions would help. Rather, they would really bring down the overall quality of te album, which i believe in its present state to be a classic.

COBL_04 said:

I get your points that you are making, but do you really need to swear and abuse the album like that?

yes, yes he does.

some of the songs are THAT bad.

Yahweh_OMG said:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

let me laugh....your comments about Mercy and Yahweh are just ridiculous.....:|

kind of like your username?

Back
Top Bottom