TIME Takes a shot at U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spin also gave them a poor review. They rated U2 15th out of the 25 performances

I love that Spin called GOYB Sexy Boots. Whether or not they're WRONG is irrelevant. SEXY BOOTS.

The performance was boring. Honestly. Don't hate, but Coldplay's performance had about 200% more energy that U2's. Admit it.

Seriously? Chris Martin is 17 years younger than Bono and acted like he was 17 years his senior. Lost was boring, and I really love that song. Didn't help that they just had to shoehorn Jay-Z in there.

Haha, I always thought Bono and Robin Williams looked alike, but for Time to bring that up when reviewing their performance obviously means that they're clutching at straws...screw Time.

I love that Spin called GOYB Sexy Boots. Whether or not they're WRONG is irrelevant. SEXY BOOTS.

Seriously? Chris Martin is 17 years younger than Bono and acted like he was 17 years his senior. Lost was boring, and I really love that song. Didn't help that they just had to shoehorn Jay-Z in there.

I Jay-Z thing was weird. I'm talking about Viva. Awesome.

And in respect to age, if U2 can't hang anymore (remain relevant and create excitement) then they should not try.

I Jay-Z thing was weird. I'm talking about Viva. Awesome.

And in respect to age, if U2 can't hang anymore (remain relevant and create excitement) then they should not try.

Viva was OK, but Martin's voice was extremely shaky.

U2 got a great reception, if crowd noise is any indication. :shrug:

they will take a shot at U2 now and in 2 months from now they will have a big interview with them praising the new CD.

They wearnt nominated but they definatly blew 95 percent of the bands off the stage with their performance last night.

You know what bono's saying now?

TIIIIIIIIIMEEE wont leave me as I am....
But time won't tka the boy out of this man...

Can I have my award for worst forum joke ever now?

U2 has more Grammys than any other act in history. This year they were nominated for... what again? The band has a record coming out for the first time in five years in March, so the producers decided to get everyone excited for a night of celebrating last year's music by opening the host-less show with music no one has heard yet. Interesting. U2 sounded fine, and Bono's gradual transformation into Robin Williams appears to be coming along apace, but it was hardly the rocket-fueled kick-off to the show, or to U2's promotional tour, that either party was hoping for.
Grade: B-

Perhaps if U2 got their act together, they could've at least had a video out more than 24 hours before the Grammys.

Sure, videos are the be all and end all, but their promo of GOYB has been sub standard.

What were U2 to play? Can you imagine how they would've been flamed if they played COBL or One?

And who should've opened the show?? Copyplay?? Maybe Radiohead. But none of the other acts produced a 'rocket-fueled' performance.

That said, I reckon the grade of B- was pretty spot on.

Ever since I saw The World According to Garp, I've thought Robin Williams would be good in a Bono biopic. Especially that scene when Robin Williams is in drag with the black shirt and earrings with sunglasses, I think it was. Totally Zoo TV era Bono.

U2 has more Grammys than any other act in history. This year they were nominated for... what again? The band has a record coming out for the first time in five years in March, so the producers decided to get everyone excited for a night of celebrating last year's music by opening the host-less show with music no one has heard yet. Interesting. U2 sounded fine, and Bono's gradual transformation into Robin Williams appears to be coming along apace, but it was hardly the rocket-fueled kick-off to the show, or to U2's promotional tour, that either party was hoping for.

I think Bono bungled the "Let me in the sound" part -- the best moment in the song -- by not delivering his vocals enough. I liked the old Zoo TV era goose-stepping, though. Don't like the height-boosting shoes.

It's just not that good a song.

Don't take it too hard, though. Time is worse than Rolling Stone when it comes to news. Very superficial.

yes really! even those pics LM posted....I mean they have some resemblance, I guess, more so than anyone else probably....but holy shit, Robin Williams comes up way too much....it's a very faint resemblance and that's it, at least to my eyes :shrug:

Robin Williams? OK, that happens when Bono takes his shades off. :|

Seems like Time is making up for declaring Bono Person of the year and kissing his ass for the last couple of years now.

Most unnecessary review. Ever.

But I guess reason enough to continue the bashing of that performance.

B- was generous. Things are off to a shaky start, but we're still early in the game. Might be a good idea to get that second single warmed up sooner rather than later.

Time has always sucked. What's new? :shrug:

Sure. Especially when they put U2 on the cover. Or Bono.

The performance wasn't their best ever, not the best of the evening and wasn't recieved overwhelmingly well by the audience (not by U2 standards that is.) Part of that comes from being the opening act. Combine that with a song's live premiere and this is what you get. Get over it. Wait for the Brits and then compare.

I wasn't overly thrilled with it. To be honest I was hoping for something that would make me like the song more. It didn't come, unfortunately. I was actually a bit put off by the lyrics on the screen and The Fly references.

And the guyliner, of course. Can someone explain the point of that to me? I've clearly lost the plot there..

Spin also gave them a poor review. They rated U2 15th out of the 25 performances

You'll have some interesting news there if you were saying Spin gave them a good review. Spin has an ongoing feud with U2 the goes back to the ZooTV days. They absolutely hate U2 and take every opportunity to bash them. There were some dirty dealings by the magazine that U2 called them on and the fight has been on since then. I would ignore anything in Spin just on a matter of principle.

Dana

Sure. Especially when they put U2 on the cover. Or Bono.

U2 were good whether they were on the cover or not. The band is old and they are going to get slammed because of their consistent success. I could see it coming from a mile away. U2 has a big target sign on their backs this time around. People have been talking about a long wait but U2 have been touring for half that time and received a boatload of Grammys during the years. Then add Bono's work with DATA and you get overexposure. Remember how R&H got slammed despite having lots of great songs? As U2 get "long in the tooth" for critics they will...well....criticize. :D

I actually hope that their follow up album will be more experimental and added during the tour so they don't get too scared and ignore interesting material due to worries and criticism.

I wasn't overly thrilled with it. To be honest I was hoping for something that would make me like the song more. It didn't come, unfortunately. I was actually a bit put off by the lyrics on the screen and The Fly references.

And the guyliner, of course. Can someone explain the point of that to me? I've clearly lost the plot there..

I don't understand why it is such a big deal to people that Bono is wearing guyliner. Plenty of male rock stars have and are doing it. He's worn various types of eyemakeup before so what's the big deal? Personally I think that the liner accentuates his eyes and makes them more visible from behind the shades and when he takes off the shades it draws your attention to his eyes. I think it also minimizes the crows feet somewhat as I find he doesn't look as old with the liner on. I'd rather him do that than plastic surgery.

Dana

time used to gush all over u2...........i can still see the cover in 1987....."rock's hottest ticket" everyone likes to bash them these days. oh well.

I don't understand why it is such a big deal to people that Bono is wearing guyliner. Plenty of male rock stars have and are doing it.

It's not a 'big deal', I just think it looks silly and doesn't suit him. Bono isn't other rock stars and he already has his own style, he doesn't need to look like anyone else (ie Billy Joe from Green Day). I think it makes him look silly and I don't buy the 'accentuates the eyes' (his eyes are already striking enough) and the 'hides crows feet' bits. When he used eye makeup in the past it was part of an entire 'look' that made an overt statement that was recognizable and added to the performance. I don't get that same feeling here, just my opinion.

Bono does look like Robin Williams-but as long as he doesn't have the same level of body hair, I don't see anything to get worked up over. Robin will always look more like Sasquatch. Bono will wax if that becomes an issue, I'm sure.

Maybe if they were not trying so hard to make people interested in them, people might get interested in them. They don't need to prove anything to anyone at this point.

Perhaps if U2 got their act together, they could've at least had a video out more than 24 hours before the Grammys.

Sure, videos are the be all and end all, but their promo of GOYB has been sub standard.

So are they over promoting or under promoting? I'm confused.

If it makes any of you feel any better, my guess is that shortly after this performance, ‘Walter’ had himself torn a new one by some dude who looks like Robin Williams. I wonder if Bono not doing the whole “let me in the sound” and only screaming “Sound! Sound!” was because he was aware it was off.

Walter was the producer of the show I believe. Walter something was the first name listed on the credits when they scrolled off at the end.

And I do think he was saying Sound! because he realized it was off. At least it was seemingly off for everybody, though. Vocals were buried and certain instruments were difficult to hear on nearly every performance.

B- is actually pretty good considering that bono couldn't remember the words to their first worldwide performance of their awkward new single, despite having the words flashed behind him in 200 font on a giant powerpoint presentation.

i woulda given it a C :shrug:

Walter was the producer of the show I believe. Walter something was the first name listed on the credits when they scrolled off at the end.

And I do think he was saying Sound! because he realized it was off. At least it was seemingly off for everybody, though. Vocals were buried and certain instruments were difficult to hear on nearly every performance.

Was Walter from CBS? I don't know what feed everyone else caught but I thought what I saw on the CBS feed I watched was probably the worst production I've ever seen in my life. It's a wonder Jennifer Hudson got through her song, she looked like she couldn't even hear herself (and one of her in-ears popped out too). Why they even bothered having Boys II Men is beyond me, you couldn't hear them at all.

I don't understand why it is such a big deal to people that Bono is wearing guyliner. Plenty of male rock stars have and are doing it. He's worn various types of eyemakeup before so what's the big deal? Personally I think that the liner accentuates his eyes and makes them more visible from behind the shades and when he takes off the shades it draws your attention to his eyes. I think it also minimizes the crows feet somewhat as I find he doesn't look as old with the liner on. I'd rather him do that than plastic surgery.

Dana

I would see an argument if he had tons of it like Stipe or KISS members.

I think he's just trying a new image. I hope he doesn't tour with the 'liner because after 2 + hours, it will start melting...

Back
Top Bottom