Thoughts after watching opening night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pinning it now; Chris Martin (or the whole of Coldplay) are going to perform Iris with them in London.

I watched some Vancouver videos here and there but just now got around to watching the full first set of opening night. Plugged in some good headphones and off I went.

Unbelievable!!!!!!!! They're kicking major, major ass, especially Miracle-Out of control- Vertigo-I Will Follow. Took the roof off the place. Mofo into Iris was perfect. Cedarwood Rd and Song for Someone were excellent, the new Sunday Bloody Sunday works (though they could stand to rotate it with original SBS and NYD). Raised by Wolves is an absolute monster and what a message!! Until The End of The World is back to its blistering Zoo TV through Elevation glory!

I love how the first set is shorter then the 2nd set- a nice, tight, loud and fast run through an impressive set of songs. As others have said, brilliant idea using the screen to its full effect on the new songs that people don't know as well. The footage chosen drives home the point of each song so well and it doesn't in any way take away from the performance. All the new songs seemed to get great receptions and even sing alongs with Iris!

This is mind blowing and the performances are more than indicative of the "we're here to prove something" mindset. They're playing like it's the elevation tour only Bono's voice is better!

HI folks,
Landed back in Amsterdam from Vancouver last night, enjoyed a good night of sleep and here I am, back on earth reflecting on Opening Night, mij 23rd show in 30 years of being U2 fan.

A lot has been said about this tour, but I experienced it as the most complete U2 live experience so far. I was in GA, found a nice spot centrally located on the South Floor, giving me the opportunity to move a little to the I-stage at the beginning and moving relatively close to the E-stage for the second part. The entire GA section is gold, diamond and platinum in one.

Band was on fire, sounded great and tight and the sound coming from the new PA was kick ass too. My conclusion is that these four guys from Dublin are still top in their game. The first four 'We're a rock 'n roll band and we'll pull it off-songs' were kick ass. I also really liked the section of songs starting with Iris up to including Invisible with all the visuals on and in the new screen, I burst into tears with Iris and Song for someone. De second part of the set was just sheer joy, experienceing the momentum and the songs. I missed a few songs, but then again U2 could have created a decent setlist of songs they didn't play.

Next stop for me wil be Amsterdam in September and Cologne in October. Definitely looking forward to that.

I hung out with a few guys from Calgary (didn't ask their names though) and had a great time in the beautiful city of Vancouver.

For those of you going to upcoming shows; be prepared for a mind-blowing experience. Take care folks, I'm going to deal with my jetlag the next two days or so.

I watched some Vancouver videos here and there but just now got around to watching the full first set of opening night. Plugged in some good headphones and off I went.

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

I think I'll do the same somewhere in the next few days.:hyper:

Having seen setlists for 3 nights - and yes I KNOW it's early, early days - it does appear that hopes of 27-28 songs a night were a little optimistic. And as yet not much sign of TOO much variation - night 3 identical to night 1 I think, less one song?

Like I've said all along I'll have a brilliant time whatever they play - but I'm getting the feeling it'll be 30 songs over 2 nights - fine enough, but I'm greedy, damnit, I want Exit in the first half and Promenade in the second :hmm:

Having seen setlists for 3 nights - and yes I KNOW it's early, early days - it does appear that hopes of 27-28 songs a night were a little optimistic. And as yet not much sign of TOO much variation - night 3 identical to night 1 I think, less one song?

Like I've said all along I'll have a brilliant time whatever they play - but I'm getting the feeling it'll be 30 songs over 2 nights - fine enough, but I'm greedy, damnit, I want Exit in the first half and Promenade in the second :hmm:

I am going to go against the grain a little here, but why would they play a compete new setlist from city to city? Ok from night to night maybe but I don't agree they should between city's, apart from a hardcore few who follow the tour and setlists the shows will be new to the people attending

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

.....length of the show is about 2:15/2:20.... ...longest U2 show I ever saw was 26 songs at Amsterdam 3, Vertigo Tour. That show lasted almost 2:30...

I remember Willie Williams stating in one his tour diaries that 2:20 is the maximum for a U2 show, building up a show from scratch to climax. Longer shows like Bruce Springsteen does (3+ hours) will distract people from what's going on at the stage. I tend to agree with that. I was at a Springsteen show two years ago and I walked off to go to the bathroom, fetch a burger and a beer and go back to the show. I enjoyed every minute of it though.

Needless to say I'd love to see them play 30 songs too, but 24 I experienced at Opening night were massive.

I am going to go against the grain a little here, but why would they play a compete new setlist from city to city? Ok from night to night maybe but I don't agree they should between city's, apart from a hardcore few who follow the tour and setlists the shows will be new to the people attending

.... I think there are a few slots in the show where they change a few bits here and there, without screwing up the Innocence and Experience theme with all the visuals in the show. They could change a few things in the first four uptempo opening slots, the slots after Invisible at the E-stage and in the Encore making it a max of 6-7 changes from the first night to the second night and that will be it I think.

The only long show I've ever experienced my attention waning at slightly was Sun Kil Moon, because Kozelek started ranting more and played a lot of similar-sounding slow songs that I was unfamiliar with in a row. Every other three-hour show I've been to I have loved. It's really not hard to entertain a crowd for three hours. LCD Soundsystem did it for four-and-a-half, playing pretty much every single song they ever made. Prince plays for six hours and the joint is still jumping and then he plays another five hours at some dank club nearby.

I have to add the HUGE caveat that after 23 or 24 songs in GA I'll be in no state to continue, let alone the band, whose youngest member has ten years on me and does the most work :D

I was expecting a different kind of setlists... When Love Comes to Town is making it worst. Oh well. I'll probably just wait for the European leg, hoping they'll bring more SOI and less WOWY/Pride/Follow.

I was expecting a different kind of setlists... When Love Comes to Town is making it worst. Oh well. I'll probably just wait for the European leg, hoping they'll bring more SOI and less WOWY/Pride/Follow.

Haha making it worse? Wow

The best way not to get subjected to massive U2 hits is by going to a Henry Rollins concert.

HI folks,
Landed back in Amsterdam from Vancouver last night, enjoyed a good night of sleep and here I am, back on earth reflecting on Opening Night, mij 23rd show in 30 years of being U2 fan.

For those of you going to upcoming shows; be prepared for a mind-blowing experience. Take care folks, I'm going to deal with my jetlag the next two days or so.
:up:
Good to see longtime fans who went to the show loved it even though the band didn't play Wire.

I am shocked that you would agree with a negative post

Because there are many magnificient songs on the album and that should be always a priority - to play new stuff live. So far it is more like greatest hits tour + a few new songs. They almost played more new songs in 360 tour in Helsinki, Vienna, etc. gigs :)

Because there are many magnificient songs on the album and that should be always a priority - to play new stuff live. So far it is more like greatest hits tour + a few new songs. They almost played more new songs in 360 tour in Helsinki, Vienna, etc. gigs :)

Whatever you say my man whatever you say

I'd make a long post about stats of number of new songs per your etc, but logic and reason are lost on this guy. We should all stop wasting our time.

I'd make a long post about stats of number of new songs per your etc, but logic and reason are lost on this guy. We should all stop wasting our time.

I would, but if we wait long enough Axver will do it for us. :wink: And he enjoys it more than we do, so it's a win/win situation.

Oh yeah, I'll take the bait.

U2 have already played more songs from SOI than they played on 360 from NLOTH. They've played nine new songs: eight from SOI plus Invisible.

On 360, they did seven songs from NLOTH across the entire first two legs. From the third leg onwards, they only did four NLOTH songs (with the exception of a fifth, the title track, at Helsinki 2). The Helsinki 2 show is the only one from 360 that featured enough new songs to equal the IE Tour so far, a total of eight: five songs from NLOTH, one that would go on to be on SOI, and two unreleased tracks, though one of those unreleased tracks is Stingray Guitar so that barely counts.

Vienna had six new songs total. Every IE Tour show has had more than that.

Though I have felt that the shows so far have very much been "greatest hits". One third new stuff, two thirds greatest hits. I'd welcome two sixths new stuff, three sixths greatest hits, and one sixth of deeper cuts sprinkled throughout. But we've had that argument many times on this forum.

Are people actually bitching about the lack of new songs being played? After three shows they've played 8/11 songs from the album plus Invisible. They've played 7 new songs in each of the first three shows plus a few songs that have not been staples in years have been in 2/3 of the show.

Keep hating cynics. You just look like fools.

:lol: Go to a show and then tell us When Love Comes to Town is making the shows worse. WLCTT was the best fucking part of the show I was at and it's not even remotely close to one of my favourite U2 songs. WLCTT is making the shows better! The crowd loved it and it rocked.

Fans bitch and complain that they never bust out a deeper cut and then they do and with a song that hasn't been played since the early 90s no less and they bitch that it's not the right deep cut :doh:

Damn it, you are walking encyclopedy :)

It's amazing that some strive for facts and logic in here, isn't it? I'm tired of it, people should be able to say whatever they want. A tire is square, that's my opinion. Isn't that what this place is about?!

Back
Top Bottom