There's no Way Rick Rubin is Producing U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy thread bump!

Reading those quotes, is that not the kind of thing you'd think they might like to try, maybe in some time between the album-tour cycle? Just take some songs and record an album with Rick Rubin, with this "back to basics" approach and see what comes out?

Especially now that they don't seem to ever be working with Eno and Lanois again, it could be an opportunity to do something different with a single producer - especially as Edge has been talking about how they've been trying to hone their songwriting ability.

I just finished Brian Eno's interview with Rick Rubin on the Broken Record podcast and it was fascinating as usual. He mentioned how he hates it when lyricists write as though they've got something important to say because there end up being too many syllables and the rhymes are awkward :lol:

I just finished Brian Eno's interview with Rick Rubin on the Broken Record podcast and it was fascinating as usual. He mentioned how he hates it when lyricists write as though they've got something important to say because there end up being too many syllables and the rhymes are awkward :lol:

bahahaha

I thought someone said in another thread that Rubin stated that he was putting off all other projects until he finished producing the new U2 album?

I had read an article that said that the band was working on a new album with the help of rick rubin.

finally we get an update to that post! i've been on the edge of my seat for the last 16 years waiting for this moment

Despite him bumping a 16 year old thread, I can vouch for runbyu1. He's pretty cool IRL, we grew up in the same neighborhood.

He actually holds a world record marathon time if you can believe that.

oh hey this thread is back

austin-powers.gif

Didn’t Josh Klinghoffer kind of go off on Ruben and his production style recently? More or less just reiterating what a lot of people have been wondering about him over the last few years. Like, what does he really do in production anymore other than show up and sit on a couch?

the membership base of this place will be down to two chimpanzees arguing about whether or not passengers is considered a U2 album by the time anyone grows a beard long enough to compete with rubin's

true. we're probably only a few months away from that scenario

Didn’t Josh Klinghoffer kind of go off on Ruben and his production style recently? More or less just reiterating what a lot of people have been wondering about him over the last few years. Like, what does he really do in production anymore other than show up and sit on a couch?

:lol:

I must now go and google that. It sounds like those tales of producers where they seemed to think the most important job was getting the "vibe" of the room right and then just sit back and do not much else.

It also might just be some sour grapes from Josh after getting dumped from the band, who then subsequently went right back to working with Rubin, instead of Josh’s friend Danger Mouse who had produced 2016’s The Getaway

i mean generally speaking Rubin has some amazing credits to his name - but does seem like a guy who works better at guiding bands who already have a good idea as to where they want to go, vs. working with a band like U2 who are all over the damn place and need someone to pull them in and be more hands on - which is kinda strange considering that Rick comes from the hip hop world where hands on producing is more the norm. alas

I had to look up that interview, I admit I did chuckle at the end:

Andrew:
I’m on record stating I’m With You is one of the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ best records. What are your takeaways reflecting on your two albums with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I’m With You, and The Getaway?

Josh:
I feel like this could be a long answer. Perhaps we can do a sit-down tell-all someday. I’m serious; someday, that’d be fun. At this point, however, I might be a little too close to leaving to look back without a heavily biased and potentially warped opinion. I’m incredibly conflicted about my output with that band because I feel like, in both circumstances, producers got in the way of us truly making great music or a great record. I like almost all of the songs that we wrote together, but seldom did we capture them in the best way. I will say that in the case of I’m With You, I feel Rick Rubin was way more a hindrance than a help. He told me once, “I just want to help the songs be the best they can be.” I should’ve said, “Well, then get your driver to come and get you.”

Back
Top Bottom