The Police Tour '07 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:

Just to be a douchebag, I'd thought it would be a good time for this quote.

Richard Branson must have given them a hot air balloon full of cash to get them to agree to play 3 days in a row.

u2fp

Its funny, but 25 years ago this summer, Richard Branson and Sting were in a high court battle over the details of Sting's 1976 music publishing deal that he signed with Richard Branson's label before joining The Police.

U2FanPeter said:

The middle show may be a condensed "festival set", whereas the 2 NYC shows will be full length shows.

yeah, most defintely will be slightly shorter depending on whether they will be the last band of the night if so they could do a hour and half easy. I went to the last Vfestival here in maryland and RHCP were the last band and it seemed to be a normal set to me.

We will see I guess..

STING2 said:
The Police soldout their show in Paris at the Stade De France in 90 minutes! Thats 79,000 tickets sold in 90 minutes!

The Rolling Stones by comparison were only able to sell 62,714 tickets to their show at the Stade De France after it was on sell for months.

Is it true that several German Police dates are selling at "a Stones pace"?

There's also talk of some band rehearsals happening now in Italy.

I've been reading the Stingus.net boards.

U2FanPeter said:

Is it true that several German Police dates are selling at "a Stones pace"?

There's also talk of some band rehearsals happening now in Italy.

I've been reading the Stingus.net boards.

There are Police tickets available at all price levels in Germany for the 3 stadium they are doing there. Its unclear how many tickets have been sold though. The average ticket price is double of what U2 charged 2 years ago. None of the Stones shows last year in Germany soldout, and only two of them got above the 50,000 mark.

I think the German shows will eventually sellout provided that they continue to sell well in the remaining European countries. Many fans without tickets in those countries will likely go into the German market.

STING2 said:

There are Police tickets available at all price levels in Germany for the 3 stadium they are doing there. Its unclear how many tickets have been sold though. The average ticket price is double of what U2 charged 2 years ago. None of the Stones shows last year in Germany soldout, and only two of them got above the 50,000 mark.

I think the German shows will eventually sellout provided that they continue to sell well in the remaining European countries. Many fans without tickets in those countries will likely go into the German market.

If a good opening act is added, it would also greatly help sales. Dodger Stadium has the only "name" opener, with the Foo Fighters, on The Police Tour.

It's also easy to forget that Sting just played a European tour less than 3 weeks ago!!

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

If a good opening act is added, it would also greatly help sales. Dodger Stadium has the only "name" opener, with the Foo Fighters, on The Police Tour.

It's also easy to forget that Sting just played a European tour less than 3 weeks ago!!

u2fp

That was a different kind of tour though playing small theaters and clubs. But he did play places in Europe last year with a band.

U2FanPeter said:

u2fp

The only reason the Foo Fighters got that opening slot was because they are good friends with Stewart and live in the area. They were not put on the bill to help sell tickets, otherwise they would be opening in Edmonton, Hartford or other places. When the prices are high, even popular opening acts have difficulty in helping the headlining band much. The Rolling Stones put Metallica on the bill for their two shows in the Oakland/San Francisco area and the shows still did not sellout. The Police have soldout their show there though, and could easily fill up another without the aid of an opening "name" artist.

The Foo Fighters are big name in rock circles, but they are unable to do a basic arena tour on their own. They are primarily a still a theater band at $30 to $40 dollar ticket prices. They did a co-headlining arena tour of about 20 shows in big cities with Weazer, but without Weazer they would still be playing the smaller venues, primarily theaters.

STING2 said:

The only reason the Foo Fighters got that opening slot was because they are good friends with Stewart and live in the area. They were not put on the bill to help sell tickets, otherwise they would be opening in Edmonton, Hartford or other places. When the prices are high, even popular opening acts have difficulty in helping the headlining band much. The Rolling Stones put Metallica on the bill for their two shows in the Oakland/San Francisco area and the shows still did not sellout. The Police have soldout their show there though, and could easily fill up another without the aid of an opening "name" artist.

The Foo Fighters are big name in rock circles, but they are unable to do a basic arena tour on their own. They are primarily a still a theater band at $30 to $40 dollar ticket prices. They did a co-headlining arena tour of about 20 shows in big cities with Weazer, but without Weazer they would still be playing the smaller venues, primarily theaters.

Van Morrison was a last minute cancellation for the Stones Nov 2006 appearance in a Vancouver Stadium. 3 months later he came back to sell out an arena(12,000+) all by himself with tickets upwards of $150. I think it's fair to say that him being added to the Stones bill helped sell 10,000 extra tickets.

I actually put FF somewhere between an arena act and a theater act. They also played stadium sized places in the UK and Europe(?) a summer or two ago

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Van Morrison was a last minute cancellation for the Stones Nov 2006 appearance in a Vancouver Stadium. 3 months later he came back to sell out an arena(12,000+) all by himself with tickets upwards of $150. I think it's fair to say that him being added to the Stones bill helped sell 10,000 extra tickets.

I actually put FF somewhere between an arena act and a theater act. They also played stadium sized places in the UK and Europe(?) a summer or two ago

u2fp

Well, a theater is much smaller than an arena. Your average theater is between 1,500 and 3,000 seats. Arena's have capacities between 14,000 and 20,000. The Foo Fighters would be unlikely to sellout ANY arena's in North America, on their own, because on average they were unable to sellout any arena's on their co-headlining tour with Weezer in 2005.

Here are the results of the Foo Fighters co-headlining tour with Weezer in 2005 in North America:

GROSS $9.1 million : ATTENDANCE 247,285 : Average Attendance 10,304 : Average ticket price $36.62 : Number of Shows 24

Essentially, the Foo Fighters were only able to sell a little more than half of the arena's available seats at a low ticket price of $36.62 with Weezer as a co-headliner. Without Weezer, its obvious average attendance would likely fall by 50% to about 5,000 putting the band in the theater(1,500-3,000) catagory. Obviously, they could do multiple theater shows in the big markets, but on their own as of 2005, that is indeed the right size venue for them.

I don't know what Venue's Foo Fighters played in Europe 2 years ago, but playing a stadium or festival ground with 6 other artist or 10 other artist certainly does not count.

Churchill Downs tickets went on sale today. I got a seat on the dirt track for $50!:shocked: Over on the side (section D13), but still, not bad at all.

I was stuck in Tickets.com virtual waiting room hell for the Wrigley show. I was trying to get in to help a guy here at work and only got through once after an hour in their "waiting room", and they were crappy $94 seats with an obstructed view. I'd almost prefer Ticketmaster than dealing with this stuff, at least I'd know right away if I could pull up tickets or not!

I just got tickets for July 5th and 6th in Wrigley Field (Chicago) :up:

I'm at center stage ... the 10th row one night and the 14th row the following night. :applaud:

I paid a huge "bundle" for these locations, and that's alright ... I would pay 'any price' to actually SEE Sting, Andy and Stewart play again ... since I can afford it !! :bow:

Oh my goodness ... I was trying to send an E-Mail to my co-workers about the dates that 'The Police' were coming to town, and somehow some of that got on my post at Interference?? :hmm: :scratch:

My post should have read like this ...
MsMofoGone said:
I just got tickets for July 5th in Wrigley Field (Chicago) :up:

I'm at center stage ... the 10th row on this night, and my friends are in the 11th (the following row behind me) :applaud:

I went through TotalTickets.com ... and had the same hassle.
Although, shopping for the more expensive tickets, I think, gave me a shorter wait time ... it only took me 20 minutes. :happy:

clifedge said:
Churchill Downs tickets went on sale today. I got a seat on the dirt track for $50!:shocked: Over on the side (section D13), but still, not bad at all.

That's where I am too! I'm pretty excited. Judging from the seating chart, they don't look like bad seats. Plus for $50, that means I can blow some extra money at the riverboat or something. However, I have a feeling that when I get there, I'll have a strict side view of the stage, and only see the band when sting walks to the very front of the stage.

MsMofoGone said:
Oh my goodness ... I was trying to send an E-Mail to my co-workers about the dates that 'The Police' were coming to town, and somehow some of that got on my post at Interference?? :hmm: :scratch:

My post should have read like this ...

I went through TotalTickets.com ... and had the same hassle.
Although, shopping for the more expensive tickets, I think, gave me a shorter wait time ... it only took me 20 minutes. :happy:

I gotcha, I thought you had the inside goods!! :) I think a radio station has unofficially announced the date, but nothing on the sites yet. I'm sure it won't be long now.

Originally posted by U2Girl416

I gotcha, I thought you had the inside goods!! :) I think a radio station has unofficially announced the date, but nothing on the sites yet. I'm sure it won't be long now.

Well, I see totaltickets.com now has the 6th listed as a show date ... (funny, it wasn't listed this morning) although, no sections/locations come up when I try to access that date !! :huh:

MsMofoGone said:

Well, I see totaltickets.com now has the 6th listed as a show date ... (funny, it wasn't listed this morning) although, no sections/locations come up when I try to access that date !! :huh:

it seems someone always knows something that we don't! maybe they're just anticipating? I'm hoping they go through with the 6th, it'd work out better for me anyway, going on a Friday, i.e. no work the next day. :)

Due to overwhelming demand which resulted in the sold out first date, The Police Tour Fan Club is happy to announce that The Police have added a new tour date to their North American tour. The new date is:
July 6 - Chicago, IL at Wrigley Field.

The presale for the second Chicago show will begin on Thu. Mar. 29 at 10am local time.

Thur. Mar. 29 Members-Only Presale @ 10:00 am local time
July 6 - Chicago, IL @ Wrigley Field

The_acrobat said:

That's where I am too! I'm pretty excited. Judging from the seating chart, they don't look like bad seats. Plus for $50, that means I can blow some extra money at the riverboat or something. However, I have a feeling that when I get there, I'll have a strict side view of the stage, and only see the band when sting walks to the very front of the stage.

I know, that's what I was afraid of too...the seats were cheap for a reason. But the angle on the chart doesn't look so bad.

Here's a webpage all the Louisville show attendees may be interested in. It's fan reviews of the Rolling Stones concert there last year, and it includes a lot of details about the venue itself, which a lot of people may find helpful.

http://www.iorr.org/tour05/louisville.htm

A lot of the reviews kind of make the venue sound like a mess of a place to host a concert.:huh:

clifedge said:
Here's a webpage all the Louisville show attendees may be interested in. It's fan reviews of the Rolling Stones concert there last year, and it includes a lot of details about the venue itself, which a lot of people may find helpful.

http://www.iorr.org/tour05/louisville.htm

A lot of the reviews kind of make the venue sound like a mess of a place to host a concert.:huh:

oh great! It sounds like the people on the outer ends of the grandstands will have the worst view. I'm all the way over, but on the race track, so it might not be too bad. I'm still going to go into this with an optimistic attitude, but I kind of wonder why they chose this venue for the Louisville show. Freedom Hall would be a good arena show. I can't figure out why they played a stadium show in Louisville, when not even cities like Phoenix got a stadium. But, there are some actual stadiums in Louisville that would be much better.

The_acrobat said:

oh great! It sounds like the people on the outer ends of the grandstands will have the worst view. I'm all the way over, but on the race track, so it might not be too bad. I'm still going to go into this with an optimistic attitude, but I kind of wonder why they chose this venue for the Louisville show. Freedom Hall would be a good arena show. I can't figure out why they played a stadium show in Louisville, when not even cities like Phoenix got a stadium. But, there are some actual stadiums in Louisville that would be much better.

I know that after the success of the Stones concert, they decided to push to get more big acts to play at Churchill. So I think that it was as much marketing by Downs people as it was Police management wanting to sell as many tickets as possible. 40,000- 50,000 is a lot of tickets, and you know they will sell out. That's why their not playing Freedom Hall. It's easier to play one show at CD then to play multiple shows at Freedom. Plus it will bring in people from Ohio, Tennessee, West Virginia, and elsewhere.

As far as the angle, I still think D13 won't be too bad, Acrobat. It may be sort of an awkward angle, but looking at the chart, it looks waaayyyy better than sections 126 or 127. I'm doing the same as you- just trying to be optimistic about it. I booked my hotel room last night!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom