The 'Please' Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Forget the rest of Pop for now. Just focus on this one song.

It is a work of absolute genius, lyrically and musically, regardless of whether you're listening to the single or album version. Indisputably in the top 5 songs U2 have ever written, recorded, or preformed. And, it also spawned one of the best, if not THE best, music video U2 have ever made.

Not to mention that the live performances during Popmart are probably the most captivating live performances of any rock song I've ever seen, and that's just from viewing the Popmart Mexico video and listening the Popheart EP.

Please, please, get up of your knees now please, please

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
This song has just recently moved up to the top of my all-time favourites list. :drool:

I'd have to agree with namkcuR about the video. The whole thing is so poignant and moving, and when Bono starts crying at the end........ :sad: :bono: :hug:

I love the song for sure.

I felt that the video was kind of dull for such a rocking song. It is artsy, but did not seem very interesting or successful I thought.

I think the video just looks like crap. There's nothing that make me want to watch it. Other videos from that era are much more "successful" as music videos, such as Discotheque, If God Will Send His Angels (talk about a great video) and Last Night on Earth (quirky as hell).

This song is BORING. It has no melody whatsoever, no dynamics - it's a very dull song. Sure, the lyrics are good, but what does that matter when the song is crap?

Harry Vest said:
The song is definately up there with the likes of "Bad", "Love Is Blindness", " Gone". "Acrobat" etc.

Please (no pun intended) don't include Bad in your list of U2's most overrated, mediocre songs.

Please is my favourite U2 song. I adoreth it. I love the bassline that just kinda rolls in.

The video is also my favourite U2 video. Beautiful, moving, it takes my breath away. I adore it.

Heres some stills just because I want to.

9fe06625.jpg

b3cf0cd1.jpg

Last edited:
lets see a still of bono with the blue sky behind him

i have to say thats one of the most powerful images of any u2 video

I havent saved that one. I was trying to find a still of the street with the adobe houses. Thats a gorgeous set. If no one posts those stills in the next day or so I'll go make some more.

I have to go and get my haircut first. This will take hours as Im going to the place that has the vibrating chairs and gives head massages. :drool:

I have placed the disc of the Greatest Hits DVD in my drive. Thats a start. :mad:

Chizip said:
Love the song, love the video, love the live performance
I echo these sentiments (read: "me too!").

The only weird part about the video is when the bum flies away. But it's symbolic and shit, so it's okay.

I always liked the single version best, although the album version is amazing too.

So you never knew love
Until you crossed the line of grace.
And you never felt wanted
Till you'd someone slap your face.
So you never felt alive
Until you'd almost wasted away.

You had to win, you couldn't just pass
The smartest ass at the top of the class
Your flying colours, your family tree
And all your lessons in history.

Please, please, please
Get up off your knees.
Please, please, please, please, oh yeah.

And you never knew how low you'd stoop
To make that call
And you never knew what was on the ground
Till they made you crawl.
So you never knew that the heaven
You keep you stole.

Your Catholic blues, your convent shoes,
Your stick-on tattoos now they're making the news
Your holy war, your northern star
Your sermon on the mount from the boot of your car.

Please, please, please
Get up off your knees.
Please, please, please
Leave me out of this, please.

So love is hard
And love is tough
But love is not
What you're thinking of.

September, streets capsizing
Spilling over down the drains
Shard of glass, splinters like rain
But you could only feel your own pain.

October, talk getting nowhere.
November, December; remember
We just started again.

Please, please, please
Get up off your knees, yeah.
Please, please, please, please, ah.

So love is big
Is bigger than us.
But love is not
What you're thinking of.

It's what lovers deal
It's what lovers steal
You know I've found it
Hard to receive
'Cause you, my love
I could never believe.

They don't make songs like these anymore. And the Popmart Mexico City live version is absolutely mindblowing. Love the video too. Nice stills there, by the way.

def in my top five favorite U2 songs! i LOVE the song and i LOVE the video :drool: it has got lots of interesting things in it. anton is great.

september streets capsizing
spilling over, down the drain
shards of glass splinters like rain
but you could only feel your own pain

october talk getting nowhere
november december remember
are we just starting again?!!!
please

i almost did this bit as a monolog for my drama 1 class. but instead i choose the beging to stateless, where tom tom talks.

This is definately an amazing U2 song, and pretty much the only one of its kind. I like it a lot because its bass line gives it almost an jazzy feel to it. This song has definately the best bass line I've ever heard in any song.

Back
Top Bottom