The official "Quit Playing This Damn Song!" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knox

Refugee
1. THE OCEAN
I have never seen a U2 concert (and I've been to six of them now) lose so much energy in under two minutes, and that includes when the house lights come on after the show. Quit playing this damn song!

2. YAHWEH
It's becoming more and more obvious that Original Of The Species is a much better choice to be played just before "40", and frankly, fellas, this song isn't very good. Quit playing this damn song!

3. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
I've seen this song played five times, and only liked it twice. The two times I liked it, it was because it kicked in right after Vertigo. So unless you're going to start playing it after Vertigo every night...quit playing this damn song!

Add on as you like...

Agree totally with "All Because Of You" !! :madspit:

Since it's a hit single, if they quit playing it then that would be something ... but, I highly doubt that will happen ...

IMO, whether I'm hearing the studio version or the LIVE concert performance ... this song is one that I never liked. So they can
quit playing it !! :yes: absolutely !!

I like the OCEAN choice, Knox. I agree with your breakdown and don't understand why they keep playing it. It's cool their playing an older and "rare" song, but here's the ultimate substitute:

GLORIA
OCTOBER (also like 2 mins)
NEW YEARS DAY

would be incredible. That's really my only pick I think.

Pride, Bullet the Blue Sky, and Elevation should not be played every night, but I don't want them to stop playing them all together.

I think ABOY has great potential still on this tour, it sounded so good on 5/10 and the crowd really got into it.

Last edited:
1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

3. Agreed.

Now if only they played Until The End Of The World instead of All Because of You, so it'd actually look like this:
---
Zoo Station
The Fly
Until The End Of The World
Mysterious Ways
---
You'd have me crying of pure joy so much that I'd risk fainting.

God Part III said:

Now if only they played Until The End Of The World instead of All Because of You, so it'd actually look like this:
---
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
---

The problem with that is that they're promoting HTDAAB, not Achtung Baby. Yeah, Achtung is my favorite U2 album but 5 songs in one night is a bit excessive.

If the band actually stopped playing the songs people here say they should stop playing, here's what the setlist would look like:

Walk To The Water
A Day Without Me
With A Shout
Miami
Things To Make And Do
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
J. Swallow
Fast Cars
Red Light
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Neon Lights

knox said:
1. THE OCEAN
I have never seen a U2 concert (and I've been to six of them now) lose so much energy in under two minutes, and that includes when the house lights come on after the show. Quit playing this damn song!

2. YAHWEH
It's becoming more and more obvious that Original Of The Species is a much better choice to be played just before "40", and frankly, fellas, this song isn't very good. Quit playing this damn song!

3. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
I've seen this song played five times, and only liked it twice. The two times I liked it, it was because it kicked in right after Vertigo. So unless you're going to start playing it after Vertigo every night...quit playing this damn song!

Add on as you like...

1. Agreed

2. Disagree. Yahweh sounds beautiful live; it's nice to have 1 acoustic song in the show.

3. Disagree again. This song kicks ass...I do agree that it's at a bad place in the setlist. In Chicago I was so exhausted by the 2nd encore that it was sort of hard to really get into.

Songs that need to be dropped:

An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart-- Yeah it was really cool for me because I love these songs, but this section is a complete buzz killer for the majority of the audience. On 5/9 I was off the tip of the ellipse and everyone was going nuts. They played ACD/ITH and the energy of the people around me was just sucked out and we never got to that level again.

i agree that An Cat Dubh can be a buzzkill for non diehards

i actually saw a large group of people in the lower bowl sitting down for this song in chicago

plus the aisles were full of people leaving to use the bathroom :huh:

New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride can all naff off as far as I'm concerned.

benh said:
New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride can all naff off as far as I'm concerned.

i agree, but i understand why they are included

ImOuttaControl said:

The problem with that is that they're promoting HTDAAB, not Achtung Baby. Yeah, Achtung is my favorite U2 album but 5 songs in one night is a bit excessive.

Hmm.

Where The Streets Have No Name
Running To Stand Still
Bullet The Blue Sky
With Or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

There were 5 JT songs in Anaheim 1!

And One doesn't really count. What I need is 90's material, they don't play enough of it.
Ok, so if not 5 Achtung songs, then 3 Achtung and 1 Zooropa and one Pop. Something has to be done. The ONLY (mind you, only) problem I have with this set is its lack of 90's tunes.

God Part III said:

And One doesn't really count. What I need is 90's material, they don't play enough of it.
Ok, so if not 5 Achtung songs, then 3 Achtung and 1 Zooropa and one Pop. Something has to be done. The ONLY (mind you, only) problem I have with this set is its lack of 90's tunes.

:yes:

i wouldnt even mind if they took off one so they can play some other 90's song

but i guess that wouldnt really work with his one campaign and all

1. Maybe. I don't think this song warrants a place of it's own, if it would replace a better song. The Ideal is It should be used together with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, and it should be longer and more evolved like during boy/october tour. But I guess the crowd would react bad to any Boy song except I Will Follow or Out of Control.

2. Agreed. But original should also have the guitar part. Otherwise a non acoustic Yawheh would be just as good.

3. I don't particulary care for this song, but it's a new song, and a single no less, so it can't be dropped.

other songs that should be dropped:
1.Pride. replaced with Bad, A Sort of homecoming or Unforgettable Fire, would be a huge improvement.

2.Mysterious ways. Doesn't fit in with the overall very rocking set. Replace with Gone, LNOE, Discotheque, UTEOTW or something else.

3. SBS or NYD. Good but done to death. Likewise anything other from War, Seconds/Two Hearts/Surrender would be a relief.

Nisse said:
1. Maybe. I don't think this song warrants a place of it's own, if it would replace a better song. The Ideal is It should be used together with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, and it should be longer and more evolved like during boy/october tour. But I guess the crowd would react bad to any Boy song except I Will Follow or Out of Control.

2. Agreed. But original should also have the guitar part. Otherwise a non acoustic Yawheh would be just as good.

3. I don't particulary care for this song, but it's a new song, and a single no less, so it can't be dropped.

other songs that should be dropped:
1.Pride. replaced with Bad, A Sort of homecoming or Unforgettable Fire, would be a huge improvement.

2.Mysterious ways. Doesn't fit in with the overall very rocking set. Replace with Gone, LNOE, Discotheque, UTEOTW or something else.

3. SBS or NYD. Good but done to death. Likewise anything other from War, Seconds/Two Hearts/Surrender would be a relief.

:yes::up:

I think that in theory, "The Ocean" is a great choice. In execution (or total lack thereof, actually), though, it ain't so hot. I just don't really like the loose, seemingly improvised quality which the song has taken on...I like that I got the chance to hear it ('cause it's all rare and old and shit), but it was less-than-thrilling.

Other than that, I'd be down with throwing away a GREAT many songs from the current, standard set-list. The biggest offenders are as follows:

"New Year's Day"--They didn't play it in Chicago, last night. It was the greatest night of my life. A + (-B) = C. Go figure. Fuck this song and fuck the boring performances of it.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday"--They should rename the live versions of this song (and I say this with a heavy heart, as it never used to be this way) "Yawn-weh." Much more appropriate.

"Bullet the Blue Sky"--NEVER thought I'd say this. But after three shows in the Chi (a HUGE U2 fanbase and pretty good audiences, for the most part), I see how much of a "buzzkill" THIS song is. It's fascinating to watch the whole crowd (I got a good view of the crowd with my nosebleeds, etc.) go from TOTALLY stoked when they hear the opening of the song to the confused, bored, and rabidly apathetic bunch they are by the time the song stutters, crashes, and burns to its anti-climactic "finale."

"Running To Stand Still"--I love the song. This version isn't my style. No big deal, but I'd personally like a number of other tunes--at least the crowds really enjoy it (and that's the best argument, I think, "against" my suggestions...they don't do it for me anymore/as they are currently done, but that doesn't ALWAYS mean the crowd agrees with me).

"Streets"--Actually, THIS one is "Yawn-weh." Or I think so, anyway. It was tragicomic to watch people around me (MANY people, I might add) either laugh out loud or become indignant at Bono's gibberish-esque "AFRICA!!!!!!!!!" chant. Sad? Yes, and probably disrespectful, too....but it's still shady and it's still a shady performance of a non-shady song. A formerly non-shady song, anyway...

"Pride (In The Name of Love"--I take no pride in having heard this song live an almost excruciatingly huge number of times. Please. Shoot this song. I don't care if it's on April 4th, in the morning, in the evening...whatever. Just kill the mo'fucker.

Yeah...I got a lot more. Sorry. I don't want it to sound like I absolutely hated all these songs or something. And I did love 2/3 shows I got a chance to hit up. Most of these tracks (minus "Bullet," if you ask me) do hype up the crowd and therefore are "good choices" for the shows. But I'm just tired of it and while they energize the crowd, they don't do it like they used to. It's not the same level of energy--it's that much less with each passing tour, in my years-long informal study of the crowds I see U2 shows with.

Last edited:
The Ocean is completely naked without 11 O'clock Tick Tock preceding it. It just doesn't seem right.

If you shout... said:

"New Year's Day"--They didn't play it in Chicago, last night. It was the greatest night of my life. A + (-B) = C. Go figure. Fuck this song and fuck the boring performances of it.

:lol:

Pride and New Year's Day top my list. :sigh:

God Part III said:
---
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
---
You'd have me crying of pure joy so much that I'd risk fainting.

:faint:

1.the ocean can go
2. Yaweh is beautiful. I fell in love with this song after hearing it live
3.All because of you can go too. There are so much better ones that should be played.

Would LOVE to see/hear unforgettable fire and Bad in Nov!!

What are the odds they'll play Unforgettable Fire this tour???

I would definitely have to agree with most of the "big" songs being cut! Except for Streets... while it's overdone, i still always feel a connection to hearing it live. As for Sunday, New Years, Pride and Bullet - if i never hear those songs live again, it will be too soon. Don't get me wrong, i think they are fine pieces of work, but as a real U2 fan, i am sick of hearing them, and i get excited to hear the newer stuff live. It always gives me a laugh and an eye roll when they play these songs live, cuz all the people that are sitting down all of a sudden get up and get all excited! That's how you can tell a true fan vs. a fan of the 80's - the type of person that thinks The Joshua Tree was their last great album. These people annoy the shit out of me! Achtung Baby was genius! The last two albums are amazing as well. These people don't know what they're missing! Anyway, back to the setlist.... I wouldn't mind if they cut Electric Co in half and got rid of The Ocean... the 3 song Boy combo gets to be a little long and that's where people start sitting down... 2 Boy songs would do.... and it wouldn't hurt to throw in Walk On once in a while or maybe even Ultraviolet! I wish they would start by at least 86ing Bullet... it's SO tired! They have enough other songs where Bono can preach to us.... Now One is all political... I wish somebody would tell them this!

If you shout... said:

"Bullet the Blue Sky"--NEVER thought I'd say this. But after three shows in the Chi (a HUGE U2 fanbase and pretty good audiences, for the most part), I see how much of a "buzzkill" THIS song is.

"Streets"--Actually, THIS one is "Yawn-weh." Or I think so, anyway. It was tragicomic to watch people around me (MANY people, I might add) either laugh out loud or become indignant at Bono's gibberish-esque "AFRICA!!!!!!!!!" chant. Sad? Yes, and probably disrespectful, too....but it's still shady and it's still a shady performance of a non-shady song. A formerly non-shady song, anyway...

Streets bores me to tears, been there, done that. The song doesn't excite me. And I've seen Bullet be a buzz kill as well.

I do like ABOY. Last night it was great. Well, almost all of last night was great in my opinion. :wink:

redkat said:
What are the odds they'll play Unforgettable Fire this tour???

Somewhere between 'not good' and 'rather poor'.

Hope I'm wrong. I will fall to my knees and cry with joy if they play it at one of the upcoming Boston shows.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock - instead of Electric Co... leading into The Ocean... Axver you got me thinking... :faint:

The Ocean, I could take or leave, although the prissy collector elitist in me is glad they brought it back.

Yahweh I like. I like the sentiment, and I like what the band does.

All Because of You, I love. It rocks. They won't get rid of it, nor should they.

For the first time ever at a U2 concert this year, I was not moved by Streets. Nor was I by Pride, SBS, NYD or Bullet, but that's not a recent development.

knox said:
2. YAHWEH

i think thats well harsh, yahweh is one of my favorite songs off the tour! :eyebrow: :huh:

and i think aboy could be improved by bono playing rhythem guitar on it...... :drool:

knox said:
1. THE OCEAN

2. YAHWEH

3. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU

Add on as you like...

1. The Ocean. Garbage...waste of time...

2. Yahweh. Good song, but the acoustic arrangement is underdeveloped. Please play a a full band version.

3. All Because of You. The studio version is useless. It sounds like a castrated version of The Who. However, the version of this song the band played at the 2nd Vancouver show was fantastic. The song came alive.

I would like to add:

4. Bullet The Blue Sky. It bores casual fans. Many Hard-core fans don't even like the song. Those who still love it wouldn't lose sleep if the band dropped it. Why play it if the reaction is so mixed?

5. Running To Stand Still. Great song rendered boring by the new arraangement. Bono plays a horrible guitar on it too.

6. An Cat Dubh - Good obscure tune, but not meant for arenas.

I love "All Because of You," in the studio and live. You guys suck.

Im praying for gone, uf, lemon, ultraviolet, or bad tomorrow night. I know only bad is a remote possibility but ill remain optimistic!

Back
Top Bottom