The Official Interference Super (it's two words, people) Bowl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaveC said:

Five whole weeks, you really are dedicated. :up:

Damn straight. :hi5:

If they suck next season, so be it. I stuck with the Wings, Tigers and Pistons through their highs and lows. I'm at best a casual sports fan. I don't have time to follow every single game/statistic/etc. I like watching because it's fun.

Last edited:
DaveC said:

And that, in a nutshell, is why I hate frontrunner sports fans.

Rant over...deep breath. :sigh: Okay, I'm calmed down now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :D

Didn't mean to get you all fired up. My bad. :wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Damn straight. :hi5:

If they suck next season, so be it. I stuck with the Wings, Tigers and Pistons through their highs and lows. I'm at best a casual sports fan. I don't have time to follow every single game/statistic/etc. I like watching because it's fun. :shrug:

So what happens if the Lions go 12-4 next year and the Giants miss the playoffs? :hmm:

randhail said:

Didn't mean to get you all fired up. My bad. :wink:

:laugh:

You know, that was honestly the first time I've ever really thought about the connections between the Patriots and frontrunners and why I hate both, and got it all down in writing. Very therapeutic. :up:

I still hate your team, though. :wink:

:shrug:

You never know, who thought the Browns would miss the playoffs by one game this year?

For that matter, who (besides Jon Kitna) thought the Lions would even get close to .500 this year?

You know that when the Lions do well (and they will eventually, every team has their year sooner or later - except the Cubs, of course), you will want to root for them. But you won't be able to with any kind of credibility. You were getting excited for them when they were doing well at the start of the year, and that makes me feel like you ought to give them more than one mediocre season before you give up on them forever.

It's obviously your call. But if you don't stick to it 100%, you're going to get it HARD. :wink:

ETA: There was no pun intended there - seriously :shifty::laugh:

DaveC said:
:shrug:

You never know, who thought the Browns would miss the playoffs by one game this year?

For that matter, who (besides Jon Kitna) thought the Lions would even get close to .500 this year?

You know that when the Lions do well (and they will eventually, every team has their year sooner or later - except the Cubs, of course), you will want to root for them. But you won't be able to with any kind of credibility. You were getting excited for them when they were doing well at the start of the year, and that makes me feel like you ought to give them more than one mediocre season before you give up on them forever.

It's obviously your call. But if you don't stick to it 100%, you're going to get it HARD. :wink:

ETA: There was no pun intended there - seriously :shifty::laugh:

Suuuuuure. :wink:

The Lions have never won a championship. Their last playoff game was something like 18 years ago, which they lost. They seem to enjoy setting the bar for sucking more than they have the previous year. When I decided I was going to start following football this year of course I went with my home team. As the season progressed (and after the loss to yes, the Giants) I realized why I never really attached myself to the team. I decided to shop around for another one - insert the Giants.

Yes, I purposely left that one wide open for any puns. :tongue:

Dalton said:
I would cheer louder and longer if the Ford's sold the Lions than I would if the Lions won the SB under the Fords.

One championship could not make up for what they have done.

William Clay Ford :madwife:

Daddy wouldn't give him the family business so he got a professional sports team to play around with. Top notch job he's done, hasn't he?

Dalton, I'd advise you - if you're thinking of switching teams, do it quietly and not to the Giants. :shh:

Too...easy...must...not...make crude joke...:crack:

With that explanation, it makes a little more sense.

It seems you've made up your mind - you're a grown woman, you're allowed - and although the team you picked is full of jackasses (prepare to be lipped for picking an NFC East rival), I'll back off.

I only say this because you've got a point with the Leafs/Canucks scenario in my case (although it IS different, because the Leafs aren't from my hometown).

But any wavering and I'm gonna stick it to you good (haha - okay, that was the last one :wink: ).

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

The Lions have never won a championship.

False. The Lions were quite the team back before the Super Bowl - they won 4, count em 4, NFL Championships. More titles than the Patriots have. So you could really argue that the Lions are like the pre-2004 Red Sox of the NFL - winning all sorts of titles a few generations ago. Things are bound to turn around at some point - it's the law of averages. :wink:

This is worth linking to: Bill Simmons's rules for team loyalties

When your owner employs Wayne Fontes for seven years and Matt Millen for eight, and the franchise sucks so hard that it drives Barry Sanders into early retirement, I think you can claim an exemption under rule 19e.

The Mara family have been pretty good owners throughout the history of the Giants though, so you better be committed to them.

DaveC said:

So what happens if the Lions go 12-4 next year and the Giants miss the playoffs? :hmm:

And maybe the Redskins will do well earlier than week 14 next season :hyper: That'd be nice.

Watching 12 games of suck is never fun, and they've put me through that 2 out of the last 3 seasons, only to prolong the agony by the playoffs. :grumpy:

From today's New York times:

Many fans held hand-scribbled signs, part of the short-hand postscript to an unexpected championship season. Promoting Manning for president was a popular idea. Some signs teased the Patriots — “18-Oh well” — or played off the spying scandal that has entangled them and their coach, Bill Belichick.

“Hey, Belichick, I hope you’re taping this,” one sign read.

:)

You know everyone is just having a jolly old time kicking the Pats and Pats fans in the (figurative) nuts over this. Personally I thought the Giants played a hell of a game, and that ought to be the focus, rather than taking shots at the Patriots.

Though it is New York fans, so I'm not surprised. :wink:

Have you guys seen the Patriots schedule for '08? It's @Colts, Steelers, @Chargers, and @Seahawks...and a bunch of crap. Granted one of the crappy teams is likely to end up being good next year with the NFL being what it is, but still that's a pretty easy schedule for a first-place team. I can't wait 'til next year...

speedracer said:
This is worth linking to: Bill Simmons's rules for team loyalties

When your owner employs Wayne Fontes for seven years and Matt Millen for eight, and the franchise sucks so hard that it drives Barry Sanders into early retirement, I think you can claim an exemption under rule 19e.

The Mara family have been pretty good owners throughout the history of the Giants though, so you better be committed to them.

:hi5:

CTU2fan said:
You know everyone is just having a jolly old time kicking the Pats and Pats fans in the (figurative) nuts over this. Personally I thought the Giants played a hell of a game, and that ought to be the focus, rather than taking shots at the Patriots.

Have you guys seen the Patriots schedule for '08? It's @Colts, Steelers, @Chargers, and @Seahawks...and a bunch of crap. Granted one of the crappy teams is likely to end up being good next year with the NFL being what it is, but still that's a pretty easy schedule for a first-place team. I can't wait 'til next year...

No offense, but please....

When the Sox beat the Yanks in 2004, all I heard from Sox fans was about the Yanks choking. Shouldn't the focus have been on the Sox staging an insane comeback, the guts it took to do that, etc? Instead, everyone goes to the WS victory parade wiith "Jeter Swallows" shirts.

Dusty Bottoms said:
so it turns out the pats cheated in the superbowl win over the rams, no big surprise, fucking cheaters
Fwiw, Michael Holley just stated on WEEI radio that he has spoken to multiple sources (unlike the original story which came from one unnamed source), and the Pats did not tape the Lambs' walkthrough in 2002. Holley is the author of Patriot Reign and Tedy Bruschi's co-author and has tremendous access to the team, staff and even coach Belichick. Plus lets not overlook this as he who rides with Lucky Day and Ned Nederlander convenienlty makes no mention of:
“The suggestion that the New England Patriots recorded the St. Louis Rams’ walkthrough on the day before Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002 is absolutely false,” the club said in a statement. “Any suggestion to the contrary is untrue.”

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league investigated the claim and found no evidence of wrongdoing.

randhail said:
I was wearing a "Jeter drinks wine coolers" shirt, thank you very much. :wink:

even i chuckled at that one :giggle:

lli.jpg

while i have certainly made it clear about the whole switching teams or rooting for another team thing in the past... two things.

a) if you've never really rooted for a team, just had a passing interest in your local team, it's not really that big a deal.

b) the lecture on staying loyal to your hometown team should probably come from someone from boston or chicago, not a canadian who arbitrarily decided that he was going to like philadelphia teams, eh. :wink:

i will say this... there is nothing like being a long time fan for one team and one team only, sticking with them through thick and thin, the good the bad and everything in between... and then having the ultimate pay off in the end, especially when you're least expecting it.

it's heaven :love:

and as for the video of the giants fans celebrating... i can't talk for two reasons.
1) feagles rocks my world
2) i similarly hugged it out immediately following the final kneel down, and proceeded to jump, fully clothed, into a hot tub in celebration... in front of my boss and other coworkers, mind you.

now if you'll excuse me, i have to make sure my radio is working for the johan santana press conference.

eveything's coming up eli.
:hi5:

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:

Actually, from what I have seen, Giants fans have been very graceful about their Super Bowl win for the most part, as have Patriots fans about accepting the loss.

It's the rest of the universe that hates the Patriots who have been making asses of themselves, imho.

speedracer said:

It's the rest of the universe that hates the Patriots who have been making asses of themselves, imho.
Yeah, the fans I met en route to (was between 2 Giants fans on the connection from Cleveland to Phoenix) and at the game were all classy, respectful and knowledgeable. During the game there was no rubbing anything into anyone's face (seating dynamic was funny, my row was 2 Giants fans, followed by 2 Pats fans, followed by 2 Giants fans, followed by a couple who the girlfriend was Pats fan, the boyfriend a Giant fan, then me and my buddy, then 2 Giants fans...and similar down the line), just everyone cheering for their team and discussing things civilly.
It does seem much of the venom is from the "neutral" fans who just wanted to see the Pats lose regardless of who the NFC representative was.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i will say this... there is nothing like being a long time fan for one team and one team only, sticking with them through thick and thin, the good the bad and everything in between... and then having the ultimate pay off in the end, especially when you're least expecting it.

it's heaven :love:

Yep. :)

Glad you're enjoying that with the Giants. :up:

Hewson said:
Yeah, the fans I met en route to (was between 2 Giants fans on the connection from Cleveland to Phoenix) and at the game were all classy, respectful and knowledgeable. During the game there was no rubbing anything into anyone's face (seating dynamic was funny, my row was 2 Giants fans, followed by 2 Pats fans, followed by 2 Giants fans, followed by a couple who the girlfriend was Pats fan, the boyfriend a Giant fan, then me and my buddy, then 2 Giants fans...and similar down the line), just everyone cheering for their team and discussing things civilly.
It does seem much of the venom is from the "neutral" fans who just wanted to see the Pats lose regardless of who the NFC representative was.

a few people have reported, the "i know nothing about sports" guy among them, that the crowd at the super bowl was more into this game from a rooting standpoint... i.e. more real fans as opposed to the usual businessman & celebrity crowd... than in any recent super bowl in memory.

agree?

I think its pretty cool that roughly 96 to 97 million people tuned into the Super Bowl. Second only to, of course, the M*A*S*H TV Series Finale 25 years ago in 1983.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

Actually, from what I have seen, Giants fans have been very graceful about their Super Bowl win for the most part, as have Patriots fans about accepting the loss.

Agreed.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

a few people have reported, the "i know nothing about sports" guy among them, that the crowd at the super bowl was more into this game from a rooting standpoint... i.e. more real fans as opposed to the usual businessman & celebrity crowd... than in any recent super bowl in memory.

agree?
From where I was sitting, absolutely.

It helped that the 2 markets represented are 2 of the more rabid sports markets in the country.

Back
Top Bottom