the next tour- possibe rarities to be played?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob33

Rock n' Roll Doggie
alright I'm wondering what songs that either are very rarely played live or have never been played at all live are most likely to be played on the next tour?

Axver, I was hoping you could provide some insight :wink:

I think it's fairly hard to say anything with certainty, especially as the new album is still almost a year away (barring a shock early release). We certainly don't yet have anything to assist predictions such as how Bono was fond of drawing a link between HTDAAB and Boy. But hey, I'll give this stab and try to make some realistic predictions (i.e. I won't call the spectacular live debut of Treasure!). If nothing else, it'll make for interesting reading in a couple of years if somebody resurrects the thread. :wink:

Boy: I think that Vertigo essentially mined this clean of rarities. A Day Without Me would be a sweet return, but unless the band feel like doing Brick --> ADWM again, I don't see it happening.

October: I think the title track is always a chance. It's a fan favourite, it's short so it can slot into a set easily (especially in the form of October --> NYD), and it would not be tough for the band to learn. Anything that is not Gloria or October hasn't a chance. I desperately hope U2 prove my last sentence wrong and bust out Rejoice.

War: I don't really expect U2 to try to mine this one, with SBS and NYD already regulars and 40 always floating about. I suppose THBAO is a far outside chance.

UF: I'll call it now - something from this is coming back. The title track would be most likely. Personally, I think Wire would be a welcome return and would go great paired with Twilight.

JT: It's about time for In God's Country.

RAH: Keeping on going with the divine theme, it's about time for God Part II.

Achtung: EBTTRT. Big hit, missed a tour. It'll be back. Count on it.

Zooropa: Stay showed up at Union Chapel and Bono adores it. I'll bet that it comes back. Let's all pray for Dirty Day too.

Pop: Gone remains the most performed Pop song and it damn well better come back.

Non-album songs: The pattern says Spanish Eyes will be back (played on JT, missed Lovetown, played on ZooTV, missed Popmart, played on Elevation, missed Vertigo) but I wouldn't put too much in those patterns. Where the fuck is 11 O'clock Tick Tock? That's what I want to know.

I won't do the latest two albums as they're so recent.

I'd be in favour of 11OTT/TEC/Gloria replacing three stale old tracks. :wink:

I pick Pride, One, and WOWY.

I think U2 have a setlist mentality problem. The resurrected tracks are rarely allowed to infringe on the classics and hits. In other words, the band won't let songs like SBS and Pride slip by the wayside in favour of something like 11OTT or One Tree Hill, even if they perform the latter in a much better and more entertaining manner. They seem to be victim to the same errant mentality as some posters here - that casual fans are complete morons who only want to hear a short list of radio hits. So even if U2 have six "rarities" that they perform exceptionally well, they won't play any more than the two for which they have allocated slots, even though that means four much more weakly performed tracks are being played instead. In other words, six very well performed songs are in rotation and competing for two spots while four comparatively poorly performed classics are being done every night. I think this needs to change. If 11OTT is going to sound better than SBS, toss out SBS. There are still plenty of hits for the casual fans who truly are morons, and anyone who actually enjoys live music is going to love a scintillating performance of a song, no matter what song it is. We all saw how much stadium crowds in Europe loved the supposedly unknown Electric Co.

Last edited:
Axver said:
I pick Pride, One, and WOWY.

I think U2 have a setlist mentality problem. The resurrected tracks are rarely allowed to infringe on the classics and hits. In other words, the band won't let songs like SBS and Pride slip by the wayside in favour of something like 11OTT or One Tree Hill, even if they perform the latter in a much better and more entertaining manner. They seem to be victim to the same errant mentality as some posters here - that casual fans are complete morons who only want to hear a short list of radio hits. So even if U2 have six "rarities" that they perform exceptionally well, they won't play any more than the two for which they have allocated slots, even though that means four much more weakly performed tracks are being played instead. In other words, six very well performed songs are in rotation and competing for two spots while four comparatively poorly performed classics are being done every night. I think this needs to change. If 11OTT is going to sound better than SBS, toss out SBS. There are still plenty of hits for the casual fans who truly are morons, and anyone who actually enjoys live music is going to love a scintillating performance of a song, no matter what song it is. We all saw how much stadium crowds in Europe loved the supposedly unknown Electric Co.

True, but why not, as they did on the last two tours, have your SBS, Pride etc AND something like 11 o clock or Miss Sarajevo ? Kill both flys with one stone and keep "everyone" (well, as much as that is possible) happy. :shrug:

As for the topic - I think the last tour mined everything pre-UF. And I think if they planned anything of UF it would have happened on Vertigo tour.

JT - what else is there ? First five songs get performed all the time, and we got IGC, OTH and Mothers... on last two tours. Short of a miracle in the shape of live RHMT, the only thing left is Trip or Exit. Not likely.

RaH: When love comes to town maybe ? They didn't play anything outside singles from that album since Zoo TV.

AB: EBTTRT is the single, but after the AB love on last tour, I think we may go back to the old reliables One, UTEOTW and MW.

Zooropa: I vote less material here too. We got Stay and First time on last two tours. (and live Wanderer, though it wasn't technically a tour performance) Bring back Dirty day.

Pop: Give Discotheque and SATS a rest. Bring back Please or Gone/LNOE.

U2girl said:

True, but why not, as they did on the last two tours, have your SBS, Pride etc AND something like 11 o clock or Miss Sarajevo ? Kill both flys with one stone and keep "everyone" (well, as much as that is possible) happy. :shrug:

What Axver means is there is a certain amount of slots in a set (22 songs, for instance). Why should six songs performed really well be pushed out so that poor performances of the hits can go on?

They left SBS out for most of the Zoo TV tour..... because they just didn't want to play it, as well as I will follow and everything prior to UF, except NYD.
Maybe it will happen again..... more likely in indoor Arena....

liamcool said:

What Axver means is there is a certain amount of slots in a set (22 songs, for instance). Why should six songs performed really well be pushed out so that poor performances of the hits can go on?

I know, but why does it have to be one or the other ? Hits or obscure songs ? I say have a healthy mix of both, I think the last tour did this well.

I think Mofo and Please remain possibilities, they rehearsed the former a little last tour and as I'm a big fan of the latter, even if they choose to perform the acoustic version rather than the much more preferable (IMO) full band rendition, I'll still be pleased. After not performing either for a few years, I'd be interested in seeing how the band would interpret them now.

Other than that October would be a lovely surprise, its an early gem and a real shame it hasn't had so much as a look in since the eighties.

I also wouldn't rule out Love Is Blindness either, it really is one of the best things they've ever done, the atmosphere of disorientation, Edges stunning solo and some of the most incisive lyrics Bono's ever created. Can you believe such a great song hasn't been performed in its entirety for 14 years.:tsk:

Last edited:
U2girl said:
But SBS came back once they got to stadiums, as did IWF.

Only about 10 times in Europe..... Zooropa 1993 european tour, ....but they did not play it at the one I attended...
They played it a lot during US Stadium tour....1992

I know Bad isn't a rarity, but with Bono's newfound soaring vocals Bad should become a staple again. As for rarities, I'd be in favour of anything coming back so as to mix things up. Time for the setlists to become far less static and less formulated (set in stone at the start of the tour and left that way). Do a Pearl Jam.

-Rejoice
-UF
-Exit
-Hawkmoon
-Ultraviolet
-Lemon
-Mofo
-LNOE
-Please
-Kite

Any of these would be a nice staple in the next tour.

Boy- As said, this is mined out. IWF and OOC will most likely be played. Hopefully Electric Co. sticks around.

OCtober- They barely played Gloria on the last tour, so they probably won't pull it out. October is the ONLY chance. I would die and go to heaven if they played "brick" however.

War- I think that Two hearts and Surrender have a good chance at being brought back next tour. I hope so.

UF- ASOH and UF could be brought back. As much as I love Indian Summer Sky, it's not gonna happen.

JT- For some reason, I have the feeling that on this next tour, hell will freeze over and they will play RHMT. But on a more likely note, I can see Exit coming back someday.

RH- Other than Desire, AOH and AIWIY, they will never do anything else off this record. Unless for some reason they are paying tribute to BB King.

AB- They could possibly mine some rarities from this album. I'm talking the last 3 songs on the album, mainly.

ZOO- I always have a fantasy that U2 will play the 2nd half of Zooropa immediately following the opening song. The song, a faster song off the new album ends, and immediately you hear the little "weew weew weew" sweeping sound, and then BOOM right into the 2nd half of Zooropa. "AND I HAVE NO COMPASS". It would almost be like a coda or something. But yeah, I'm hoping for a full band "Stay" as well.

HMTMKMKM might come back

POP- Mofo, Please and Gone are the only songs that have a prayer of coming back.

ATYCLB- BD obviously. Maybe bring back Walk On and Kite, give Stuck and Elevation a rest.

HTDAAB- Vertigo and COBL will be regulars. Sometimes will be in there sometimes (hah!). LAPOE will be attempted a few times and then dropped. ABOY occasionally. Possibly Yahweh in the acoustic set.

Wave of sorrow- acoustic set

europop2005 said:
LAST NIGHT ON EARTH!! :rockon:

i reread u2 by u2 and edge talks about this song....he makes the comparison between SBS and NYD and this song....he says as long as the older songs are better this one won't be played. :(

Swan269 said:

i reread u2 by u2 and edge talks about this song....he makes the comparison between SBS and NYD and this song....he says as long as the older songs are better this one won't be played. :(

Damn.

Why does U2 blast some of their songs so much?

Me: Hi Edge, my name is zoopop
Edge: Hi zoopop.
Me: I'm a big fan and love U2.
Edge: Thanks
Me: Question, alot of U2 fans and myself wonder why don't you play LNOE anymore live.
Edge: (Putting down his glass after taking a sip) .......

Edge walks off

Personally, I think it would be a grave mistake if "Exit" wasn't resurrected on the new tour. I've been thinking about just what a showpiece it could become, presentation (sound/lighting) wise.

Other songs I feel need to be brought back on occasion are certainly, UF and ASOH. Full band Stay would also be welcomed.

Swan269 said:

Well even the Edge makes mistakes, see him dismissing Discotheque at Vertigo tour....

It was their best version.

22 slots. Figure 7 or 8 songs from the new album will get in, which is U2's thing. The last couple of tours (at least as far back as Zoo TV) they've equated their relevance with playing a whole mess of songs from their new album. No reason they wouldn't again.

So that leaves 14 or 15 songs to cover 14 albums.

I'd say songs that are a lock:
- One (every tour since Zoo, no reason not to stop now)
- Streets (every tour since JT, renowned in the band as a classic U2 live song)
- New Year's Day (every tour since War)
- Until the End of the World (it rarely goes away)
- Beautiful Day (the song that brought U2 back)
- Still Haven't Found
- With or Without You (Adam talks about these last two in the JT deluxe book -- how they keep trying to take them out of the setlist, but they keep coming back)
- Pride
- Bullet (one of their rockier songs)

So that's 9 out of 14 or 15 spoken for, leaving 5 or 6 wild cards. I'm guessing U2 will hold to their most recent albums, since that's the material some people are very familiar with. Figure 1 or 2 songs off HTDAAB and another song off ATYCLB (Walk On, perhaps?), which leaves room for 3 or 4 rotating rarities.

Pickings be slim.

zoopop said:

Damn.

Why does U2 blast some of their songs so much?

Me: Hi Edge, my name is zoopop
Edge: Hi zoopop.
Me: I'm a big fan and love U2.
Edge: Thanks
Me: Question, alot of U2 fans and myself wonder why don't you play LNOE anymore live.
Edge: (Putting down his glass after taking a sip) .......

Edge walks off

:lol:

-Gone
-HMTMKMKM should make a come back, that song is rocking :drool:
-Love is Blindness
-Zooropa
-Dirty Day

nathan1977 said:
22 slots.

And your entire post illustrates vividly the mentality I mentioned earlier and that I think was a little misinterpreted. In essence, it's got nothing to do with what songs U2 plays best or what provides for the most entertaining show. It assumes there are songs U2 have to have regardless, and anything else, no matter how incredibly it may be performed, is competing for only about 3 rotating slots at best.

They need to get away from "we need to perform X, Y, Z, and then choose which rarity to play" and move closer to "we need to perform whichever songs we play the best". I don't think anybody on this planet wants to hear a meandering, lacklustre, and uninspired WOWY over a scorching, energetic, and exciting Electric Co.

well I am very encouraged and excited to see everyone's ideas and gut feelings as to what might pop up and return for the next tour. To me, for some reason, it feels like a perfect time to start exploring again and play songs that are either very rare or have never been played at all...I really think they are going to bring back In God's Country..if they do, they better fucking play it full band, the full band just absolutely blows acoustic out of the water...

and, it frustrates me how they only play OTH in select areas...the performances of this song are always so breathtaking, why not make it more of a staple and bring it to the US arena shows...would that take something away from the song/performance if it was performed more frequently?

Also, I think Love is Blindness has good chances of coming back, I think they were testing it out last tour....Did they play that song at all during soundcheck Axver?

And I don't know its chances of coming back, but I would love to see Ultraviolet make the setlist...seriously this song is so good live, listen to washington dc version of this song, so good...I don't understand how this song hasn't been performed since ZooTV

@Axver – 100% agreed, cause I don't think, U2 will break on through to the other side – and chose for rehearsing & playing up to six dust-off live gems per night instead of delivering the 'Greatest Hits' ...

Boy: I don't think, there will be another renaissance. The last two tours were kind of "back to the roots" with the 'rediscovering the beginnning' atmosphere as an obvious element of the shows. U2 played OOC, SFB (snippet), IWF, ACD, ITH, TEC and TO. Now, especially with the promised musical change of the next album as the show's frame, I don't see these days come back. Maybe even all the 'punk rock' albums w will be left out, at least for the first arena shows indoor.

October: The first track – and not rediscovered for big parts in '05/'06 - is gone now as the (most) Boy tunes. Maybe, maybe U2 finally decide to put in the beautiful title track October - that will be my dream come true, but until now it is only a dream, not more. More predictable: Nothing will be played from here.

War: I don't think, that anything except SBS & NYD as the old, old war horses has a real chance to slip into the setlists. '40' was played and then forgotten even for the last '06 show – don't think there weill be full outings on the next tour.

TUF: This is really the first album, where I'd put some chances to hear dust-off stuff. Especially the musicallyy complex title track as a U2 masterpiece has to be pulled out of the shelves and after being neglected nearly 20 it should be a new staple in the sets – especially with Bono's voice obviously in far better shape than in previous decades. Bad is always a choice to be a staple, too. Even greater would be also be a return of a (rehearsed) ASOH. Why not, folks?

JT: For some reason, I hope for some outings of the B-sides & outings SE and WOS. As regarding the album's B-side, I still hope for surprises in the setlists.

RH: Would as with JT only bet on hit singles, though GPII should come out again and rock the house.

AB: You know, what U2 will play – a real surprise would be the welcome return of EBTTRT, that might make these choices more interesting.

Z: Hm, no ...

POP: Hm, no – apart from Disco maybe, that might lead us back on some kind of dance floor in U2's temple of rock ...

That would be so amazing if they brought back a smashing version of discotheque and kept it as a mainstay in the setlist and even play it early in the show.......ok I can dream?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom