The New "Rockstar" Reality Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know.
Mumbling, affectated, overwrought crap.

The other three I thought were pretty good overall, week in and out.

I've got to think, he had to have finished 1st almost every week and they let that make their decision.

Honest to God, I might have taken 12 other singers from this show over that guy.

Here's to hoping Magni finds himself a good band. Nice guy, really good voice.

Last edited:
He's

1. ugly
2. Canadian
3. emo-tastic
4. unintelligable

why would someone want him to sing for their band? :|

I just cannot understand him when he sings, and that hinders my enjoyment a lot. On the rockstar website he was described as a Freddie Mercury-Jeff Buckley mix vocally, but I never ever heard that (I would've loved to have heard that!).

To me, he sounds like a singing goat :huh: .

It's funny how so many people seem to not like him yet Supernova said he had the most votes. I wonder if that was true?

Court: No Supernova for 'Rock Star' Band

Wed Sep 13, 7:38 PM ET

The band from the reality TV show "Rock Star: Supernova" cannot call itself Supernova when it takes its act on the road, a judge has ruled.

A Southern California rock band that has called itself Supernova since 1991 and recorded three albums under the name sued CBS, the show's participants and Mark Burnett Productions in June claiming unfair competition and trademark infringement.

"Rock Star: Supernova," which began airing July 5, followed 15 contestants who aspired to become the lead singer of a new rock band that includes former Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke and former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted. The winner that was to be named on Wednesday's episode will tour with the band and appear on its album.

United States District Court Judge John A. Houston issued a preliminary injunction Tuesday barring that band from performing, recording or selling music under the Supernova name pending the outcome of the lawsuit.

Attorney John Mizhir, Jr., who represents the original Supernova, characterized the judge's order as "a major victory."

"This is sweet justice," he said in a statement. "The band members have worked hard for the past 17 years to establish the name Supernova and they are entitled to continue to perform without any other parties large or small infringing on their rights."

The order will not affect the production, broadcast or promotion of the TV series, said CBS spokesman Phil Gonzales.

Gary Hecker, an attorney representing Mark Burnett Productions, told The Associated Press that the order "is not going to affect the band or the tour."

"The case hasn't been decided on its merits," he said. "Mark Burnett Productions hasn't even begun the evidence collection process that it will be allowed to do."

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled for Friday in San Diego.

I obviously knew how it went down but I got home late and just finished watching it on tape. I would have been fine with Toby or Dilana winning, but Lukas :yuck:. But, my man (that'd be Magni) went out with fire and grace, and he looked fine playing the acoustic at the end, had a bittersweet feeling with that.

I do hope Magni gets some kind of gig that lets everyone outside of Iceland hear him again, and in English... I also hope the House Band does some side gigs as they tour with The Band That's Not Supposed To Be Called Supernova Anymore, if they do one in NY I would go to see them (of course Magni would probably be there ...:wink: )

I'm in the minority here but I'm sooo happy Lukas won! He's my fave...The boy CAN sing, you only need to check out any of his stuff with Rise Electric or Cleavage (I think that's the name) to hear it.
:up:

As for someone questioning whether he really was the most popular, well, I hate to say it :reject: but I scoured other sites and yes, he was by far the most liked. He had something like 1200 threads dedicated to him at one site while second-place Dilana had about 500-600 threads posted about her.

Judge orders made-for-TV band to change name

Wed Sep 13,10:27 PM ET

A federal judge has barred a new made-for-TV rock band that includes Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee from calling itself Supernova because that name already has been claimed by a lesser-known band.

But U.S. District Judge John Houston ruled on Wednesday that his court order does not apply to the CBS network's reality show "Rock Star: Supernova," which concludes on Wednesday night with a winning contestant chosen as the new band's lead singer.

Epic Records, which plans to release the new band's first two singles over the Internet on Thursday and their debut album in November, declined to comment on the case.

The CBS-spawned group is slated to launch a North American tour on New Year's Eve in Las Vegas

The three musicians, along with CBS and producers of the show, were sued in August for trademark infringement by members of the original Supernova, a California-based band formed in 1989 and best known for contributing the song "Chewbacca" to the cult film "Clerks."

The injunction bars anyone but that group's three members -- Jodey Lawrence, Art Mitchell and David Collins -- from performing, recording or selling rock music under the Supernova moniker pending the outcome of the suit.

"This is sweet justice," lawyer Anthony Fletcher, said in a statement released on behalf of the original group, which has released four albums. "The band members have worked hard for the past 17 years to establish the name Supernova and are entitled to continue to perform without any other parties -- large or small -- infringing on their rights."

Left unanswered on Wednesday night was how the new band would be referred to on the Internet the day after the final broadcast of "Rock Star," or how Epic would promote the group leading up to its planned November 21 album release.

Each of the show's four finalists already has gone into the studio with Lee, Newsted and Clarke to record the band's first two singles, and Epic plans to put out those containing the winner's vocals on Thursday through Yahoo Inc. , label spokesman Michael Moses said.

Neither Yahoo nor Epic, owned by Sony BMG Entertainment, a joint venture between Sony Corp . and Bertelsmann AG, is named as a defendant in the Supernova suit

Lila64 said:
what was the last song Lukas sang? Was that his original or a cover? It could have been called 'Anything Goes' :shrug:

The very last one as the show ended was called Is This Love?, which is a Band That's Not Supposed To Be Called Supernova Anymore's original, not Lukas'. Magni sang the same song last week with the band, Toby sang the song before that one a couple of weeks ago.

Huh. :huh: Well, that's that. I had a feeling Magni would go first, but was surprised to see Toby go next.

I don't really have much else to say that hasn't already been said.

It was an interesting season, but I'll definitely be looking for the solo work from the other contestants who I liked so much more than Lukas.

Great choice for the band. HE suits the music this band will play. They needed a rough voice so it was either Lukas or Dilana regardless.

Magni has a beautiful clean voice but not suited to the kind of music Supernova wants to perform. Toby had zero stage charisma compared to Dilana and Lukas unless you are a female. What moments of brillance he had onstage, he had to work really hard to do.

Dilana and Lukas had great stage prescence and were engaging throughout the entire audition series. Dilana's lack of songwriting ability plus who knows, maybe the guys or their management may not have been comfortable with a female lead, was a detriment to her in the end. Lukas was consistent and definitely fits a rock n roll image. Yeah, he is hard to understand at times but so was Kurt Cobain and half the hard rock bands out there, it's the genre which Supernova belongs in. This isn't the Backstreet Boys or Nickelback.

So congrats to Lukas, and I enjoyed his version of the song Toby performed with band way more. I figure the band made their decision based on the pre-recorded singles too which was mentioned in the articles above. Lukas had the whole package not just one thing which is probably why they felt comfortable with him.

MacHat said:
I just cannot understand him when he sings, and that hinders my enjoyment a lot.

Iagree totally - I enjoyed watching Lucas perform from week to week, he has got a great stage presence, but it drove me nuts that i couldn't understand half of what he was singing - that drives me nuts with music in general - I want to be able to understand the words. And I don't think i could pay money to watch him make strange faces for 2 hours!!:no: I was voting for Toby, i thought he had a great chance to win, but it wasn't to be. i loved his original, and can't wait to get hold of it when its released. :cool:

Wonder what band will be looking for a new lead singer next series?

I was really happy with the result... he was defientely the pick of the lot..some of his performances were just mindblowing..... in the end the right decision was made... i was a tad surprised that Toby was eliminated before the final two though

Yay, I called the top two on the first episode, and I'm rarely ever right about reality tv. :wink:

I wonder if this means that they'll be adding more Toronto dates. I'm seeing INXS in November, and I'd really like to see my other homeboy.

trevster2k said:
Great choice for the band. HE suits the music this band will play. They needed a rough voice so it was either Lukas or Dilana regardless.

Magni has a beautiful clean voice but not suited to the kind of music Supernova wants to perform. Toby had zero stage charisma compared to Dilana and Lukas unless you are a female. What moments of brillance he had onstage, he had to work really hard to do.

Dilana and Lukas had great stage prescence and were engaging throughout the entire audition series. Dilana's lack of songwriting ability plus who knows, maybe the guys or their management may not have been comfortable with a female lead, was a detriment to her in the end. Lukas was consistent and definitely fits a rock n roll image. Yeah, he is hard to understand at times but so was Kurt Cobain and half the hard rock bands out there, it's the genre which Supernova belongs in. This isn't the Backstreet Boys or Nickelback.

So congrats to Lukas, and I enjoyed his version of the song Toby performed with band way more. I figure the band made their decision based on the pre-recorded singles too which was mentioned in the articles above. Lukas had the whole package not just one thing which is probably why they felt comfortable with him.

I concur with everything you said! :up:
And yes, if this was a try-out for an INXS-style band like last year, Lukas clearly wouldn't have been the right fit, but his vocals would suit an alternative,indie-style, goth-rock, etc type band. As for Supernova, we'll have to see what kind of music they release but I def preferred his version over Toby's!
I also thought Lukas was the one who sang with the most passion and intensity (Fix You for eg) and being used to that from Bono, I rate that right up there along with everything else...

I'm glad Dilana's behaviour wasn't rewarded....

Btw, I love the headline in the Arts Section of today's Globe and Mail: "Forget Oil. Our big export is Rock Stars" :laugh:

Last edited:
I thought Lukas' performance of Bittersweet Symphany was amazing.. and same with Fix You.. the first time i actually enjoyed the song... his original was really catchy as well...I thought Toby's original was over-rated but his performance of Karma Police was awesome..

^ Agreed. I normally can't stand the song Fix You, when sung in Chris Martin's monotone voice. Lukas' voice is so textured and dynamic and he emotes so well that I really liked his version. His Head Spin has been stuck in my head for days, too. Love the way he kept changing it up.

Butch Walker - he kinda disappeared from the show. I wonder what happened to him.

With their winner being from Toronto, surely they're not going to play just one show at a 2,000 seat venue and leave it at that, right? :|

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom