The National

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, they announced the album is coming out in May, there's still no title, but they're going to have more information on it in the coming weeks.

Pre-sale starts tomorrow. Do I have the means to buy the tickets online? No, I don't own a credit card. Do I have a car to drive to the show in Philly? No, my car's been dead since the summer.

Will that stop me? We shall see.

Maybe the debit card will work. Then transportation is the only question.

Also, I'll need to find someone to attend with me. No one I know listens to this band.

Go alone if you have to. Seriously. It's not bad at all. And if it's in June, won't you be back home for the summer? Maybe borrow a brother's or parental's car?

Plain and simple, find a way. You'll hate yourself if you miss them, and deservedly so.

That's a good way of going about it. You can always unload them later if things don't work out.

Those douchebags have yet to play here in the 5 years I've been a fan, I'm beginning to think they're no friend of mine.

There isn't a difference really. Just a presale has limited access (theoretically, given the password) and is supposed to be an opportunity to snag the best tickets before a general sale. Given the fact that your venue is all GA, it don't make a shit when you buy a ticket.

Fair enough. I'm trying to buy them during the pre-sale so I don't have to concern myself with it later.

I'm buying two and just trying to find someone to go with over the next four months. Maybe a lady friend, but I doubt it, so it might be the guy I'm seeing U2 with in July, as a return favor. He hasn't heard any National aside from what I've played for him, but he'd get a kick out of it.

Hey, I'm making every effort. It's hard to quantify in words how absurd my parents can be about certain things, one of them being allowing me to drive. No matter, I'm a convincing arguer. I should have been a lawyer.

My father ordered them for me since he's the holder of the credit card for the family. I told him the pre-sale password was Blood Buzz, and he immediately (over the phone) says: "Blood Buzz? What the fuck kind of music are you listening to?" He's the best.

I'm going to that DC gig if I can manage it, especially if it boasts a strong opener. Of course, I don't expect to be wowed the way I was when they opened for Arcade Fire; I didn't know a note of their music and that performance completely broadsided me, but I expect them to have only improved as a live act since.

On the other hand, I may need to save up for LCD Soundsystem. I know they'll find their way out to 9:30 eventually, likely in that very same time frame.

Hey, I'm making every effort. It's hard to quantify in words how absurd my parents can be about certain things, one of them being allowing me to drive. No matter, I'm a convincing arguer. I should have been a lawyer.

I'm just giving you shit. But, seriously, you're in college, yo. My parents mostly gave up enforcing rules like that on me once I wasn't living at their house (then again, I also never go home for the summer). Good luck with the lawyeresque tactics in convincing them. The National are easily one of my favorite live bands (and, well, bands period) out there right now, so hopefully you do end up going.

I'm just giving you shit. But, seriously, you're in college, yo. My parents mostly gave up enforcing rules like that on me once I wasn't living at their house (then again, I also never go home for the summer). Good luck with the lawyeresque tactics in convincing them. The National are easily one of my favorite live bands (and, well, bands period) out there right now, so hopefully you do end up going.
Oh, I know. But they're totally irrational about it. The first thing my mother said to me when I returned for break was, "You probably think we're going to lighten up now that you're in college. We're not." She's kind of an idiot.

It's mostly her. My father's pretty chill.

I had to back out of going to their show @ the HOB last year, hopefully the same won't happen again. Although I did get to see them at a tiny club back in 2007 which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately when they opened for R.E.M. in 2008 they played prior to the time on the ticket so we got there for like the last 2 bars of their last song haha. My track record isn't all that great.

So this P4K interview with Matt... I really hope he's being misquoted in calling the song "Love Buzz, Ohio."

Good point there. Probably a misquote, thankfully. "Blood Buzz" actually sounds cool. "Love Buzz?" Not so much.

Anyway, the interview was a good read and contained this nugget:

Pitchfork: Can you name any of the songs that will be on it?

MB: It's hard to tell because we're still going to chop some. One of the contenders is "Love Buzz, Ohio". There's one called "Romantic Comedy", there's one called "L.A. Cathedral", there's one called "Quiet Company", and there's one called "Runaway". There's a bunch that are untitled. There's a few that we've played live before. Most of those will make it, but I think we're still going to chop a couple of songs, and we don't really know which ones we're going to chop yet.

Hopefully "Romantic Comedy" isn't a sequel to a certain awful Shuttlecock song.

It was interesting reading him speak so openly about their recording process, especially admitting that he thinks Guest Room got fucked up by the end of recording Boxer.

And I didn't know about that Google ad till reading that. Cool stuff.

Back
Top Bottom