The Mullet, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:

obviously saving/paying off debt is the way to go, unless you are comfortable enough not to need it for that, in which case you don't need it at all and it should have gone to pay off the national debt and not into your comfortable hands.

but i do get a kick out of all the people on that site that spent it on overseas vacations.

Yeah, and I just don't see how this plan is meant to do much helpful anyway. But hey, if they want to give idiots money to buy guns, or want it taken overseas to go to another country's economy ...!

Axver said:
I must admit, I do prefer XP over OS X. It feels like it's harder to swap between windows on Mac. I hate having to search for the bloody thing rather than just having it in a neat line at the bottom of screen on the taskbar.

Huh? Just keep all your windows open and place them on the dock at the bottom.

Unless I'm missing something here.

phanan said:

I think with Lost, the producers realized they couldn't fit everything in the last hour, and had to extend it to two, so they probaby requested that it get aired together.

It's 3 hours though, this was "there's no place like home part 1" and in two weeks we get parts 2 and 3.

tv's funny, major dramas now all seem to close and sometimes open with 2 hours. i can see why for 24, as in the half-season format they have to, and lost follows that format as well, but i don't get having 2 hours next week and 2 hours in two weeks and doing greys/greys and lost/lost instead of the normal greys/lost.

phanan said:

the mac doc only shows minimized windows, so open windows must be minimized when you switch off of them or they don't show up in the doc.

i'm actually using a hidden doc, because the mac screen is so short, and while i do miss my little windows, i miss alt-tab more.

Varitek said:

It's 3 hours though, this was "there's no place like home part 1" and in two weeks we get parts 2 and 3.

I know, but originally it was only part 1 and 2. When they realized they couldn't fit the rest in part 2, after part 1 was done, they went to ABC and asked for an additional episode, which was granted. But I'm sure that as a result, they wanted both to air back to back.

phanan said:

That means I have to remember to minimise, which is an extra step in itself and a mark against OS X. I don't like minimising windows.

And in any case, say I have four Firefox windows all minimised in the dock. How am I meant to tell them apart? I'm going to have to go through each of them to find the one I want.

Varitek said:

the mac doc only shows minimized windows, so open windows must be minimized when you switch off of them or they don't show up in the doc.

i'm actually using a hidden doc, because the mac screen is so short, and while i do miss my little windows, i miss alt-tab more.

Right. But at least to me, it's quite easy to see what window is what on there.

I love Macs.

Axver said:

OK, frankly, you've lost me.

Here's the way things are for me.

On Windows XP, I have all the windows nicely together on the taskbar at the bottom of screen at all times. I always run at least two Firefox windows: one with Gmail and associated things in a series of tabs, and one with LJ, Interference, and other Internet sites I frequent together in a series of tabs. Normally, I'll end up with a whole myriad of windows for various programs open at once, including a few extra Firefox windows (like one for all my JSTOR tabs). To switch windows simply requires a single click on the appropriate window in the taskbar, or if there's a lot open and they've gone into a little menu, two clicks - one to the relevant program like Firefox, and one to the appropriately labelled window.

On Mac OS X, however, changing between all these windows is A PAIN IN THE FUCKING ARSE. I hit F9 and suddenly I have all these windows up on screen together, and I have to guess which is the right one. If I have a lot open, I'll end up guessing and cycling through multiple windows before I find the right one. Switching windows doesn't take a single second and becomes a chore.

I see what you are saying - I take the F9 function as an acceptable replacement for the tray at the bottom, but I also have better vision than you, and it was nice that the tray kept them all in order. Again I wouldn't complain at all if I could still use alt-tab (try it if you don't know about it...NOW! it will change your life. just hold down alt and hit tab a few times, let go of alt when you want to select) for windows, but mac just uses it for applications.

As for 2 firefox windows, :hi5: ! I use 1 for gmail and "pleasure" browsing, including interference, shopping, the dining hall menu, a window i've been meaning to dl, whatever. and 1 for news - I always have 4 news sites open (boston globe for local news, BBC, Times, and WaPost) and then the rest of the window gets filled up with articles that I open in new tabs but don't have time to read. I quickly end up with 50 tabs over the 2 windows, because I am internet-obsessed, and it's quite a bit of clutter, but then I'll spend some time reading those articles I want to read and getting edumacated, although sometimes they've become way outdated. This is not great for firefox's operating speed, although Firefox 3.0 is going to be out soon and be a lighter and faster application :hyper:

If I'm doing a ton of research on something I'll get a 3rd window up dedicated to that, if I realize I'll need it before I end up with 10 tabs tacked on to one of my other windows.

phanan said:

I know, but originally it was only part 1 and 2. When they realized they couldn't fit the rest in part 2, after part 1 was done, they went to ABC and asked for an additional episode, which was granted. But I'm sure that as a result, they wanted both to air back to back.

wait so the writers actually ended up spilling over by an hour into their allotted time for the season?

(or worse, by less than an hour, and having to add filler...)

Axver said:

That means I have to remember to minimise, which is an extra step in itself and a mark against OS X. I don't like minimising windows.

And in any case, say I have four Firefox windows all minimised in the dock. How am I meant to tell them apart? I'm going to have to go through each of them to find the one I want.

All you do is scroll over the minimized window, and text appears and tells you what site it is.

And I guess I misunderstood before, because when you mentioned how you like all of the sites on an XP in a line down at the bottom, I assumed you meant minimized. But I see what you're saying now.

phanan said:

Right. But at least to me, it's quite easy to see what window is what on there.

I love Macs.

I gotta agree with Axver on this one. The mac way is more time consuming, less intuitive and convenient. It's still annoying me, although I just deal with it by F9 (which I actually have assigned to F3 as that is where my keyboard has a picture of it, but really, I just mouse to my lower left corner and then wonder which window I want. I wish it would at least code applications or stick a logo on them, as I especially tend to confuse the look of itunes and shakespeer.)

Varitek said:

wait so the writers actually ended up spilling over by an hour into their allotted time for the season?

(or worse, by less than an hour, and having to add filler...)

Yep, they couldn't fit it all. The season got extended with an additional episode.

And based on tonight, I don't think we'll be getting any filler from this finale.

basically the f9 function is really cool, but it would be nice if there was ALSO an alt-tab through windows NOT applications, and the option to have a dock/launchbar/something of the sort.

though it's possible someone has made an application that provides this functionality....

Varitek said:

I gotta agree with Axver on this one. The mac way is more time consuming, less intuitive and convenient. It's still annoying me, although I just deal with it by F9 (which I actually have assigned to F3 as that is where my keyboard has a picture of it, but really, I just mouse to my lower left corner and then wonder which window I want. I wish it would at least code applications or stick a logo on them, as I especially tend to confuse the look of itunes and shakespeer.)

I can understand that, as I use a PC at work.

I guess I've gotten so use to Macs that it doesn't really bother me anymore.

so when i searched for an application that would do this, my search terms of "switch windows mac" got me a bunch of switching OS sites, :laugh:

didn't find anything, but some time i might shoot lifehacker.com an email about it. i've got a whole bunch of lifehacker links for mac applications and tweaks i've bookmarked to read when i have time.

phanan said:

Yep, they couldn't fit it all. The season got extended with an additional episode.

And based on tonight, I don't think we'll be getting any filler from this finale.

damn it i wanna watch

noooo resist

any word on the coffin yet?

on the other hand people like this are insane INSANE

http://www.howispentmystimulus.com/posts/view/91

wonkette calls them Paultards.

I've been in awe/disgust over how positive all the comments on this site are - if it's a hippy it's "right on man, stick it to the man," if it's a gun it's "looks like a good one, have fun" and if it's an overseas vacation it's "haha have fun." Clearly moderated to a disgusting level. Which makes the Paultard discussion in the comments even weirder.

coolian2 said:

Just being sure.

I must remember to watch the ep from last Wednesday. I taped it but haven't got around to it yet.

And apparently they answer a question that was brought up in the Season 3 finale - since we are pretty sure the "he" Kate was talking about is Aaron, my hope is on who was in the damn coffin. I doubt we'll find out so soon why Jack thinks it was a mistake to leave, as we're barely getting to the leaving part.

(And I really want it to be Ben....I fucking hate Ben.)

phanan said:
I don't think it's Ben.

But then, I have no idea who it could be. Michael would just be way too obvious, so it sure as hell better not be him.

Yeah Michael also doesn't matter enough for the revelation to be a big deal. He's served his purpose and I doubt anyone (viewers) cares about him much. I hate Ben but that means I care. If it were Ben or Sayid the question would be about how they died and how the quest agaisnt Widmore failed. I think it's more likely to be Ben as Kate would have shown up at Sayid's funeral at the very least. As of the end of Season 3 it was someone we had met...not Jack, Kate, Sun, Aaron, or Hurley (too small a coffin). Mr. Widmore would have drawn a different reaction. So I feel like it's someone on the island who left it, but not the Oceanic 6. That leaves Ben, Desmond (?), and after that I'd start to go in the direction of John Locke but I'm really not sure. I guess it could be someone even more minor, like the guy from The Wire who's popped up a little, or the guy who tested Locke as a kid who's popped up a little, but do Jack + Kate know who they are? And whoever it is, why do they merit a newspaper article?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom