The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, as great as EBW is, it's not a "first single". The true "first single" of this album is the surprise release. Where NLOTH was dependent on GOYB generating a buzz, they used brilliant marketing and shock and awe as their single. This song has enough fuzz guitar and woahs to support a great marketing move. It's a song the masses will tap their feet to. Overall, I like their choice and I think there are a handful of tracks that can be released as singles later on.

This song will not do them any favors. I like it better near the end of the album or in the middle. As an opener and possible lead single it commits too many U2 sins. Bono's too upfront, he says "pilgrims" right at the part where there should be tension, and the chorus doesn't live up to its theme, the miraculous sound they heard is nowhere to be found on that part, they would've been better off just having an instrumental segueway to the Oh oh part (think the Pretenders "Message of Love", this song reminds me of it).

Better single would've been Every Breaking Wave.

But honestly I don't think they have any winners as far as singles go. EBW is not the most exciting U2 song but it's the only one I can see seeping into radioplay.

Funny thing about Song For Someone, the first thing I thought of was that if Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars is still played on the radio, why can't this song be a hit?

I love this song, it's so joyful, it feels earnest like something from Boy but with a bigger sound. The lyrics of the chorus really jump out to me. I know Bono is talking about the Ramones, but for me it's a great description of what U2's music has meant to me...

"I woke up at the moment
When the miracle occurred
Heard a song that made some sense
Out of the world
Everything I ever lost
Now has been returned
In the most beautiful sound I’d ever heard."

love it. :heart:

I really like this song and feel U2 chose well as the promotional song/first single.

It's perhaps the most catchy rocking song on the album. Other songs may be harder sounding, but not as catchy (or the lyrics are too dark). To me, this is the song GOYB wanted to be. GOYB is a good track, but it wanted to cover a bit too much at once, which hurt it (plus, the title is rather silly). This song may get some respect from DJ's simply because of the Ramones' reference.

Overall, I'd put this song as my current second favorite on the album.

Does anyone else think this song is a minute too long? It could have done with a little restructuring to make it shorter. EBW & California benefit from not carrying on too long.

I feel like this is a bit of an issue with the album for me, the pacing of songs. Some feel too long, some too short (The Troubles).

The more I listen to it, The Troubles could be a single. That refrain is catchy and weird. Not what the public would expect from this gang!

This song is about me first hearing 'Pride'. Can't put my finger on it, but I may have been 5 years old in 1986. It sounded so familiar to me when I had my musical awakening at age 12.

Ok so I get this now. It was the only track I wasn't totally sold on but there's this unashamed joy to The Miracle that I really like.

I think the other 10 tracks that follow are all in a different league but I'm definitely feeling it a lot more.

Ok so I get this now. It was the only track I wasn't totally sold on but there's this unashamed joy to The Miracle that I really like.

I think the other 10 tracks that follow are all in a different league but I'm definitely feeling it a lot more.

Same. It's the only classic 'Bono cringe' lyric on what I think is a really strong record for him, and the chorus struck me as real forced at first...

but I'm starting to mind less. Guitars sound undeniably cool.

And who cares, record is cohesive and very good.

This seems to be a grower for alot of people. Its growed on me loads. Great album opener either way

Maybe I'm the only one but I really dig it!:wave:

Less bombastic and forced than Vertigo,

More defined than GOYB

More energetic than BD

More fresh

Less stupid than Elevation

5 times better than Saints' cover...

Lyrics that resonate in me... ...it's the miracle of music that can change your mood and turn your world upside-down

I'm in growing big time compartment too

...At Apple Live performance I was like what nonsense is this :reject:

When i watched this song at the Apple event after hearing the first 15 seconds i thought "OMG, they are going in the direction of Achtung Baby !"

Then it sort of departed from that sound and it became quite different.

I think it's a cool song. It is not unbelievably awesome, but very good.

Maybe I'm the only one but I really dig it!:wave:

Less bombastic and forced than Vertigo,

More defined than GOYB

More energetic than BD

More fresh

Less stupid than Elevation

5 times better than Saints' cover...

Lyrics that resonate in me... ...it's the miracle of music that can change your mood and turn your world upside-down

That's pretty much how I feel.

This album is unique in the sense that the whole is much better than anything since Zooropa, but it doesn't really have any obvious singles, YET I feel most of the songs could be singles.

I think Miracle, EBW, and SFS could get some airplay, but they're not the obvious single like BD or the "dumb" rock single like Vertigo.

I think Troubles, Wolves, and Iris could get airplay on certain alternative markets.

I think Volcano could be played on Rock formats, the few we have left.

And Sleep would work really well in the right movie.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Weakest album and single cover art of their career. It's like they gave a random kid a photo, a marker and told him to run with it.

Only song I will listen to until the CD comes along. Good chorus, thought not a massive single a la BD or Vertigo.

I preferred Invisible, which would have been a better single.

Honestly, I think Miracle is U2's best lead-off single since Beautiful Day (perhaps since The Fly - which is untouchable as the best lead-off single off All Time)

Weakest album and single cover art of their career. It's like they gave a random kid a photo, a marker and told him to run with it.

I'm guessing you're not getting the album art. The single cover is gorgeous.

I'm also guessing you forgot about the album and single artwork of Bomb? Don't blame you.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom