The LONG overdue MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NSW, I demand a refund from that event! $0 because I watched it at the bar, but still

Events in Brazil seem to always suck. Even the "good" fights were boring.

That triangle from mount was pretty sweet though. As well as that savage dude that trains with Vitor.
Mostly a big bore fest. I was so disappointed to see the main event finish on such a crappy note too.
What did you think of the Machida/Davis fight? I had Davis taking 2 and 3, but assumed Machina would still get the decision

I thought Davis won too. Machida, as always, was doing absolutely nothing. No attacks, not pushing the action, constantly on his heels. You really shouldn't be able to win for fighting like that if you don't hurt the other guy.

I tried briefly to get interested in mma, tried to watch some UFC stuff when I was in school (or maybe it was when I wasn't around here much, around when you made this thread and i still had cable) because it's always fun to watch dudes kick the crap out of each other. Without having any idea of what bars to go to, or having any friends to split ppv costs, and having virtually no interest in reality tv, any interest I had fizzled out really quickly. Plus, what little bits of fights I did wind up seeing, mostly ended up being wrestling matches--more dudes rolling around on the floor together, and less actual ass kickings, which I found kind of lame.

That being said, I read through this entire thread, youtubed a handful of clips of some of the stuff discussed in what was apparently the JT and Mofo show (with numb someone, deep, and nsw making guest appearances over the years), and then mostly just watched YouTube clips of GSP wailing on people. I'm never going to follow it, as I can't be bothered to follow any sports for very long without growing disinterested. But that was entertaining and made the last couple nights at work less dull (mainly, I just pictured my partner's face taking the vicious elbows that ended st Pierre's second fight with Hughes and it oddly made me feel less homicidal).

I tried briefly to get interested in mma, tried to watch some UFC stuff when I was in school (or maybe it was when I wasn't around here much, around when you made this thread and i still had cable) because it's always fun to watch dudes kick the crap out of each other. Without having any idea of what bars to go to, or having any friends to split ppv costs, and having virtually no interest in reality tv, any interest I had fizzled out really quickly. Plus, what little bits of fights I did wind up seeing, mostly ended up being wrestling matches--more dudes rolling around on the floor together, and less actual ass kickings, which I found kind of lame.

That being said, I read through this entire thread, youtubed a handful of clips of some of the stuff discussed in what was apparently the JT and Mofo show (with numb someone, deep, and nsw making guest appearances over the years), and then mostly just watched YouTube clips of GSP wailing on people. I'm never going to follow it, as I can't be bothered to follow any sports for very long without growing disinterested. But that was entertaining and made the last couple nights at work less dull (mainly, I just pictured my partner's face taking the vicious elbows that ended st Pierre's second fight with Hughes and it oddly made me feel less homicidal).

:up:

Maybe we can link to some of the more spectacular fights, that way you don't have to wade through all the wrestlefucking

Two things I found most interesting while reading this thread:

1) the number of names I recognized. I remember seeing a million commercials for Dan Henderson vs Anderson Silva, amongst other fights. I can't remember what I would have been watching at the time, or where my general dislike of Henderson even came from. But apparently I saw a lot of commercials. And remembered them. No clue what it was about Henderson that rubbed me the wrong way.

2) all the guys that you two wanted to see knocked out, I'm siting here like ya! Beat the crap out of Machida (except the karate kid kick to knock out Couture was pretty sweet). Fuck that Koscheck guy, he's a douche! Or "oh, Nick Diaz wins this one. Let me find clips from another fight where he loses, I'd rather see him lose."

Started watching that fightville documentary jt mentioned on Netflix. Got about 20min left of it before I had to go into work.

WyjazUJ.gif

Two things I found most interesting while reading this thread:

1) the number of names I recognized. I remember seeing a million commercials for Dan Henderson vs Anderson Silva, amongst other fights. I can't remember what I would have been watching at the time, or where my general dislike of Henderson even came from. But apparently I saw a lot of commercials. And remembered them. No clue what it was about Henderson that rubbed me the wrong way.

2) all the guys that you two wanted to see knocked out, I'm siting here like ya! Beat the crap out of Machida (except the karate kid kick to knock out Couture was pretty sweet). Fuck that Koscheck guy, he's a douche! Or "oh, Nick Diaz wins this one. Let me find clips from another fight where he loses, I'd rather see him lose."

Started watching that fightville documentary jt mentioned on Netflix. Got about 20min left of it before I had to go into work.
edit: never mind. I'm thinking of Henderson vs Jones... probably will never happen now :(

The weird thing about your posts is when you said "all these years" I thought, "what? this thread has been around for like a year and a half, tops"... then I looked... 2009. Holy shit.

The fact that 2009 is a few years ago is fairly mind-blowing to me. It's a time frame I'm really confused on in general, because I could have sworn the last time I tried to follow ufc, I was still in college. Pretty reasonable assumption, since 1) I had cable tv then and 2) spent more time talking to mofo and a few other people from here more than I talked to real life people. But I graduated in 2006, and that was three years prior to this thread. Still this thread was supposedly long overdue. 2009ish I think I was still somewhat hiatused from this place, but I did have cable tv...the short of it being I have no idea, and a piss poor concept of the elapsing of time.

Finished watching the Fightville documentary, and it made me rather fond of Poirier as well.

Watched some clips of Hendricks punching the living shit out of people (and was instantly annoyed by the way he spells Johny).

Saturday's event on Fox Sports 1 is going to be fantastic. Such an amazing card, soooooo many good fights. Even the Facebook fights are solid. Really looking forward to it.

Man, I'm so disappointed with Overeem. I really wanted him to come in and be a dominant fighter. I don't think he's the same without his "horse meat"

Yeah, it was a fantastic card.

I noticed that. I actually made a fake Facebook account cos I couldn't figure out how to get the stream to work without one, but I didn't manage to get it to function properly and then I had to go into work anyway.

I like both. Cerrone is one of my favorite fighters, and Cort McGee trains in the city I live in.. Should be some good fights.

I don't have anything against Kampmann, but I like Condit. Don't think I'll be able to find a way to watch it though. I really should get cable one of these days.

IWasBored said:
I don't have anything against Kampmann, but I like Condit. Don't think I'll be able to find a way to watch it though. I really should get cable one of these days.

Www.firstrowsports.eu

Once you get through the annoying pop ups, it's good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom