The LONG overdue MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing we paid for the fight club presale. They're reporting that all 42,000 were sold in the first day alone :ohmy: At least that virtually guarantees they'll be back a bunch of times

Crazy. Not too big of a surprise though, I guess. The card is pretty amazing.

Fedor lost yet again. His eye wasn't even half as bad as Koschek's, and they're trying to pretend the doctor stopped it without the fighter's approval, seems like a bunch of BS. What a joke.

I stayed home to watch it last night. Even though I didn't know a lot of the fighters, it was a really good card. That other Russian dude is a bad ass. He knocked Arlovski out cold. It looked like he was dead at first.
I thought the Fedor stoppage wasn't a bad one though. When they showed his face in between rounds, I said that they were probably going to stop it. It was swollen completely shut. Silva would've messed him up if they let it continue. The look on Silva's face when he realized he won was priceless.
During the post fight interview, Fedor said that it might be it for him. I kinda hope not, but I guess if must feel like shit to go from virtually undefeated to 2 losses in a row. I think Arlovski should probably pack it in though. He's got a glass jaw these days.
Also, Gina Carano was interviewed during the show :drool: She's coming back to fight in a few months

Saw these on the MMA Underground forum and nearly peed myself

fedordana.gif

dana-throwing-money-at-fedor.gif

I still have a big suspicion that Fedor was the one to call the fight, not the doctor, but who knows. Regardless, the guy is way past his prime, and has done a terrible job adjusting with where the sport has gone. His physique was almost flat out embarrassing on Saturday.

Do you keep getting Strikeforce advertisements at the top of the page as well, JT?

:laugh:

I wish I got something better to look at. My ads are all MMA related, but they look like the sponsored ads you see when you google something. All text and ugly as sin

The Strikeforce ad is funny to me, as it's advertising for Wednesday, but they have all the fights from Saturday listed.

I wanted to clarify my negative comments on Fedor. I think he was great, I'm just still a little pissed with him for sticking in not so great organizations since Pride, and sorta felt like he wasn't testing himself or trying to improve. The last two losses (this one in particular) makes things all the worse.

Oh, I completely agree with you. It seems to have more to do with his dickface management than with him though. He always seems like such a humble and likeable guy, even when he was running through everyone 5 or 6 years ago. I have trouble hating on him.
I also misread your post on the stoppage a little. I wouldn't be surprised if he consented to calling the fight. But I think it was the right decision either way. And he would've gotten hurt had it continued. He certainly did look out of shape and sloppy

This isn't particularly clever or funny, but I think it's hilarious out much Jorge Rivera has been trolling Bisping for the past few weeks. This must be the 3rd video he's made. The last one was about how Bisping has landed the most punches out of any UFC fighter, but hasnt so much as staggered anyone. I'm sure it's getting under Bisping's skin

YouTube - Jorge Rivera versus Michael Bisping at UFC 127: The Tale of Count Bisping

I missed that, but I read afterward that he won. 2-0 now. I wonder if he'll be as good as his dad.

I watched a vid of the fight, he won in like the last minute or so of the 3rd round with a choke, pretty cool. He's still super young, but it's cool to see him succeeding.

On the Rivera - Bisping front, one of my friends at work was telling me about new "apology" video Rivera made where he essentially just calls Bisping a dick for 7 minutes. I haven't watched it yet, but it already sounds good. :wink:

It's pretty much the Cartman's Mom is a Bitch song, but Bisping is a dick instead. I think the idea of a grown man making a video like that is funnier than the video itself. But it has gotten me interested in the fight

What exactly is a GSP party? Until I know, I'm not sure if I should be jealous or disturbed.

Well, theres a new documentary coming out about him and they're screening it for the first time in Toronto tomorrow. Afterward, he's throwing a party at a bar and a friend that has some sort of connection to it was able to snag some tickets for me. I dont know how many people will be there, but he said I'll probably be able to meet GSP!

Well that was a fucking bust :angry:

GSP didn't even show up. It was definitely the after party for the documentary screening, but I get the impression that there was no guarantee that GSP was going to be there, but the club was intentionally misleading people. Had I actually paid for the tickets, I'd be so pissed.
On the positive side, I did get to say hi to David The Crow Loiseau (one of the first guys I really liked watching when I got into MMA) and Showdown Joe (I dont know if you'd know who he is. He does all the MMA news coverage in Canada). They both seemed like decent guys. The Loiseau picture is kinda funny. My girlfriend was a little tipsy when she was taking the picture, so instead of pressing the shutter button, she kept turning the camera off. We'd be smiling, then see the lens retract and the cover close over top of it. It happened a couple times, then Loiseau reached over and pointed to the button she should be pressing, so in the shot, he and I have confused expressions on our faces.
Anyway, I was really bummed that GSP wasn't there, and even more annoyed that the club knew at 1am (the friend that got us tickets got a text from the promoter. I wish we were with him at that point so we couldve left) but still lead everyone on. Last time I go there.

Anyway, you see the weigh ins yesterday? I just caught a quick clip but the Bisping/Riviera staredown was awesome! I'm actually excited for that fight. I think I might actually be cheering for Bisping this time

Heres the weigh in video I saw

Bisping vs Rivera wild weigh in showdown - MMA News

I think Jorge has accomplished his goal. The only way he wins this fight is if it's a slug fest. The only way he guarantees that Bisping will stand with him is by getting him so pissed off that he wants to punch his face in. It's actually kind of genius when you think about it... I might have to rethink who I'm going for in this one

Also, that site is awesome for MMA news. Best site around. If you have an Iphone, their app is really solid. It updates the news section continually throughout the day. Their forum is sometimes not bad, but full of bitching and complaining. Sometimes actual pro fighters will post there. Rogan does occasionally too. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "I've been watching MMA for 12 years, noob" type wankers and guys who are amateur fighters that think it makes them more informed. I cant stand those kinda guys (they probably wear Affliction shirts out to bars)

That sucks about the party! Thanks for the link, I keep looking for good MMA sites to visit, so I'll check this one out. I hate Bisping, so I'll still be cheering against him, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes regardless.

Jon Fitch: The neutral zone trap of MMA. My God, what a boring fighter he is. I hope he doesn't get another title shot. Guys who fight like that shouldn't be rewarded

Yeah, I think the prelims were pretty much all more exciting than the main events. I'd love to see the sales numbers on an event like that, who wants to pay for PPV to watch that sort of card?

Free fights on Versus this Thursday!

I might have to watch them on the rerun. My gf is making me go to a fundraiser tonight. BAH!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom