The List Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - All GA Line Drama Discussions Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But to that point... instead of waiting for a venue to not a
Btw the DC1 list started a month ago. Check ins are at 6 am, 3 pm, and 2:09 am behind the Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street (but we move it daily, so i can't really say where it'll be tomorrow). Feel free to stop by and check in. We're using a purple sharpie!

Excellent! You’re a great service to the community! It’s all about the fan experience!

This is a funny little echo chamber of fans that don’t queue early and complain about those that do. Then, they post things like “queueing early is not needed anyway because you can walk in at show start and get a great spot.” People complaining with no reason to complain - except to complain. LOL

U2 fans have been queuing up early for 18 years. It’s not going to change. If the band changes their GA setup, so be it. Until then, queue early or don’t. If any of you bothered to queue up and give this evil & diabolical fan-run system a try - you’d probably find (like Jamie did) that it works really well for all parties involved (including the venue staff, tour management and GA fans who aren’t total a-holes).

It’s 1:35am and I’m sitting on a sidewalk outside the venue in Omaha, checking fans in as they come to the line. Chatting about where they’re from, what other shows they might be doing, where to grab a pint...you know - being cool to each other. I’m not sure why this seems “entitled” or “douchey” to some of you, but I suspect it’s just the average run of the mill trolling from people who don’t know what the fck they’re talking about.

The haters are online, not in line.

Don't pretend not to understand what the problem is. No-one has a problem with fans "being cool to each other" and chatting and hanging out in line. If the line is an actual line of people saving their own spot.

What they don't agree with is one guy sat on a sidewalk reserving dozens of places in line so that the whole line can piss off and grab a pint at that little bar across town you recommended.

Also you really need to drop the "U2 fans queue early" thing. The ones pushing hardest for these secret lists really don't. They take a number days early, leave the area and come back for check ins and think it's acceptable to show up the morning of the show and go ahead of the people who arrived that morning and had no idea this complete crock even exists.

Maybe go and see another band and see how their GA works? What on earth do you think happens, thousands of Bieber fans wait across the road from the venue or in their cars right up until opening time when they suddenly charge the venue?? No. You'll find a long line of people who showed up 1-2 nights before and stayed put.

Like headache said, the line runners going on about how they work with security and the bands management could use this direct line to those who could DO something about this and lobby for a system that everyone knows about. Completely public and mentioned at the point of sale. Instead they choose to throw a hissy fit when the venue does the decent thing.

I mean if you want that spot on the rail nobody is stopping you. Nobody will mind you showing up days early and staying put.

However, if you lot haven't got it in you to stay in your spot in line for a day or two then

(puts on shades)

perhaps you'd be more comfortable with a seated ticket.

Yeaaaaaahhh!!!!

Also, it's cute that you think your circle of friends at the front of the line not complaining means the line's not complaining. Trust me, as someone who lines up at about 6:00 AM on the day of shows, usually, the people that didn't know about the list in that part of the line are *not* happy.

Also, it's cute that you think your circle of friends at the front of the line not complaining means the line's not complaining. Trust me, as someone who lines up at about 6:00 AM on the day of shows, usually, the people that didn't know about the list in that part of the line are *not* happy.

This. I’ve been that fan, it’s not fun. But apparently, because I don’t know these guys I’m not really a big fan.

Oh stop.

I have zero issues with anyone who lines up, parks themselves in line and actually stays there. That's not you, and that's not this list horse shit.

It's not open to everyone, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself that it is. It's open to those who know about the process, or anyone who happens to just stumble upon it.

The only publicly stated policy is the one that you stuck your nose up at in Omaha. Nothing else has been stated by the venue or the band. And oh by the way, U2 does not have the right to dictate policy. They have the right to follow the contract that was drawn up. If they're going to venue security and saying "hey guys, let's acknowledge the list to avoid incident" (which is what they're really doing, because you all make such a stink about it) then yea, 9 times out of 10 the venue, who also want to avoid a) incident, and b) pissing off an important band, will just go along with it. But they don't have to, and if they really wanted to put their foot down, venue policy would win out. Alas... it's a silly thing to cause an issue over, so in most cases they end up making a compromise to just get rid of the headache.

But to that point... instead of waiting for a venue to not acknowledge a list before crying to Guy and the band's management, why not just ask them to actually make the entire process a publicity stated "thing". Post it on their own social, and email it to ALL GA ticket buyers?

Wouldn't that be the fair thing to do? If it's all about the fan community and all, why not do what you can to make sure the entire community knows about it and not just friends, people who join closed Facebook groups, and somebody who thinks to search Twitter?

The majority of the "haters" would certainly back that plan, as you should as well. Because the only reason not to support it would be because you want it to remain exclusive, which, ya know, would mean that all the "haters" and "trolls" and "people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about" (psst, you can curse here) would actually be, ya know, right.

So how about it? Use your soap box or Prius or whatever you're standing on to do this check in thing (which isn't a queue, by definition, btw... it's only a queue if everyone sits their asses down and waits) and get the band to get more involved and to share this information publicly, put it in the contract, etc. For the community and all.

Btw the DC1 list started a month ago. Check ins are at 6 am, 3 pm, and 2:09 am behind the Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street (but we move it daily, so i can't really say where it'll be tomorrow). Feel free to stop by and check in. We're using a purple sharpie!

a0dXV.gif

Last edited:
i mean if you want that spot on the rail nobody is stopping you. Nobody will mind you showing up days early and staying put.

However, if you lot haven't got it in you to stay in your spot in line for a day or two then

(puts on shades)

perhaps you'd be more comfortable with a seated ticket.

yeaaaaaahhh!!!!

lol!!

On 360 the lists started overnight at first, but then got earlier on the later dates. I know Anaheim started 2 days before and was in general a clusterfuck. Then on IE it got even more ridiculous.

The Rose Bowl in 2009 was just stupid. People tried to do it overnight and the numbers weren’t honored the next day, people started separate lines — it was just dumb.

I’ve been lining up since 2001. You show up day-of, get your number, and sit. Worked fine 2x on Elevation, 2x on Vertigo, and just fine for the Anaheim show I went to. On IE my wife was sick so we just got there at 6 and walked in (and were one back from the E Stage). On JT we were six back from the front and were about 1,000 in. This time my wife was sick again so we showed up at 6:30 and were 3 back from the E Stage.

All this “we’re just lining up early to help the venue” BS is just that, BS. Most people get that if you come earlier, you get a higher place; it ain’t rocket science, so he’s not actually helping anyone out. By establishing this whole secret “sign in at the Starbucks on East 157th at 6:47 am” thing, these BS’ers confuse people who do indeed get pissed when suddenly there’s a different protocol. (Just see Twitter about today’s show; people are tweeting the venue furious that they followed the venue’s rules and got hosed in terms of GA position.) There’s nothing noble about this either; it’s just about getting to the front first ahead of everybody else, and screw the venue, common sense, and everybody who’s not part of your super secret self-appointed club.

But get that rail position though, am I right?

Last edited:
What are you talking about, didn't you hear? Only the Interference echo chamber is pissed about this!

U2 sets the rules for their show, not the venue.

This is exactly the problem, regardless of whether U2 or the venue sets the rules or works with the list runners. When the venue (or U2, Ticketmaster, whatever) sends out official notices to all GA ticketholders, and then the list folks work with whoever they work with to alter those rules for the GA line, and the venue doesn't communicate the changes to ALL the GA ticketholders via a revised email or whatever, it understandably pisses people off. Plenty of people rely on the venue for accurate information.

We've participated in the GA lists, and other times we've chosen not to. In San Diego JT30, because we were able to, we did the list thing from the first morning it started, did the check-ins, etc, came at 6am per the "list" rules, got our wristbands, and went home for a few hours to take a nap. We got rail up front as a result (first time ever). It was very well run, the list folks worked closely with venue security, and I thanked them in person repeatedly and online for the smooth process.

Then in the early afternoon we returned to tailgate in the parking lot before we had to line up again, and I was asked by at least 5 people where did I get my wristband and number. These people were in line that day according to the "official" venue GA policy. When I explained what went on, every person I spoke with was understandably pissed off. On the one hand I was happy about having a low number and getting rail, I felt bad for those who lined up according to "official" rules only to find out "what 500 people?" were in front of them who mysteriously were not there. And of course the "official" venue email said nothing about the "list" or wristbands.

Same thing happened at the JT30 Rose Bowl show....contradictory "official" information. It wasn't an issue for us because although we knew about it we decided not to do the list thing. Maybe a venue's excuse (or U2 staff's excuse) is that they have no control over what goes on offsite, but once they directly work with line runners, well then they become part of it and part of the problem if they don't communicate to all ticketholders. I personally don't have a problem with list runners working with security to ensure a smooth process, but when that process is not communicated to everyone via the "official" channels, its not really fair to everyone.

So I guess some dude (not a regular "line organizer") took it upon himself to start the line for Chicago. Watching some of the drama & cry babies on the FB page "U2 GA Information". Pretty hilarious. "We have people in contact with United Center, your line can't be official"..."You can't start a line until after Omaha"...

So glad I don't line up anymore. [emoji13]

So I guess some dude (not a regular "line organizer") took it upon himself to start the line for Chicago. Watching some of the drama & cry babies on the FB page "U2 GA Information". Pretty hilarious. "We have people in contact with United Center, your line can't be official"..."You can't start a line until after Omaha"...

So glad I don't line up anymore. [emoji13]

That thread is hilarious.

The hate is thick. Wow. This is like the foxnews bubble. Enjoy the show(s), if you’re able. Be sure to spit on everyone in the rail.

The hate is thick. Wow. This is like the foxnews bubble. Enjoy the show(s), if you’re able. Be sure to spit on everyone in the rail.
The hate for people who set the list up on a way to guarantee they're in front every night, instead of using the connection they clearly have with management to make the GA policy official policy and give everyone a fair shake? Yep. That hate is very real.

Get off the internet and go watch the show you've been "queuing" for for days.

Hey great thanks for swinging by and adding nothing, Nate. Again.

Come back when you're prepared to explain how a couple of people with a notepad and sharpie sat holding 200 spots in line for people who do drive by check ins is queueing. :wave:

Hey great thanks for swinging by and adding nothing, Nate. Again.

Come back when you're prepared to explain how a couple of people with a notepad and sharpie sat holding 200 spots in line for people who do drive by check ins is queueing. :wave:

"Perhaps you would be more comfortable in a seat, Gareth."

As others have said, hang back at the rear of GA, at center ice. I'd recommend trying to get a spot on the rail separating RZ & GA. That way you have something behind you to lean against for support. Or even better get a spot on the rail of one of the small satellite stages, which are located at the rear of RZ, separating it from GA. It will be the same as the GA/RZ rail above, but you'll have a member of the band perform very close to you for one song.

If you don't know where the satellite stages are click the spoiler below. Though you'll be spoiled about one song in the set.
At the bottom of the screen of the video below, Edge leaves the e-stage down the stairs, goes behind GA, down the sideline, to his satellite stage. Notice Adam on the other satellite stage, nearly behind the screen.

https://youtu.be/lNZ7qbTcW1U

I cannot thank you enough for this great advice. We were on the rail just to the left of the Adam side red zone entrance. This meant facing forward we could see the main stage with no one standing directly in front of us and a great view of the catwalk/screen. A little far from the e stage but still a view and a tremendous view of Edge for one song. Grateful for this advice...and the constant comic gold of this thread!!!

Oh stop.

I have zero issues with anyone who lines up, parks themselves in line and actually stays there. That's not you, and that's not this list horse shit.

It's not open to everyone, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself that it is. It's open to those who know about the process, or anyone who happens to just stumble upon it.

The only publicly stated policy is the one that you stuck your nose up at in Omaha. Nothing else has been stated by the venue or the band. And oh by the way, U2 does not have the right to dictate policy. They have the right to follow the contract that was drawn up. If they're going to venue security and saying "hey guys, let's acknowledge the list to avoid incident" (which is what they're really doing, because you all make such a stink about it) then yea, 9 times out of 10 the venue, who also want to avoid a) incident, and b) pissing off an important band, will just go along with it. But they don't have to, and if they really wanted to put their foot down, venue policy would win out. Alas... it's a silly thing to cause an issue over, so in most cases they end up making a compromise to just get rid of the headache.

But to that point... instead of waiting for a venue to not acknowledge a list before crying to Guy and the band's management, why not just ask them to actually make the entire process a publicity stated "thing". Post it on their own social, and email it to ALL GA ticket buyers?

Wouldn't that be the fair thing to do? If it's all about the fan community and all, why not do what you can to make sure the entire community knows about it and not just friends, people who join closed Facebook groups, and somebody who thinks to search Twitter?

The majority of the "haters" would certainly back that plan, as you should as well. Because the only reason not to support it would be because you want it to remain exclusive, which, ya know, would mean that all the "haters" and "trolls" and "people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about" (psst, you can curse here) would actually be, ya know, right.

So how about it? Use your soap box or Prius or whatever you're standing on to do this check in thing (which isn't a queue, by definition, btw... it's only a queue if everyone sits their asses down and waits) and get the band to get more involved and to share this information publicly, put it in the contract, etc. For the community and all.

God DAMN it. Remind me never to make you mad. That was the best mic drop since... well forever.

Back
Top Bottom