The Killers single-How U2 should have sounded.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinn77

The Fly
I heard "When You Were Young" for the first time on the radio today and felt such a musical rush since God knows when. It's the sound of U2 as they should have been after there glorious 90s creative period. Instead we got staid middle of the road crap, Now there's a statement. Discuss!!!

jinn77 said:
I heard "When You Were Young" for the first time on the radio today and felt such a musical rush since God knows when. It's the sound of U2 as they should have been after there glorious 90s creative period. Instead we got staid middle of the road crap, Now there's a statement. Discuss!!!
Oh man I love statements that will get bashed by the EYKIW sheep :love:

Going to listen to it now and report back, keptin.

EDIT: It's fresh, the lyrics are suprisingly good, and although Brandon Flowers just about ruins the vocal hook with him campness, it still shines. I can't wait for the album. Wait for it, wait for it, "I think this album is going to be better than three Bombs."

Last edited:
There is alot of Springsteen Born to Run kinda stuff going on in the track too, never a bad thing.

Go to YouTube, and type in .........................When you were young.......hey presto, you get the full video.

Hmm, I dunno. Hot Fuss is more akin to Pop. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but Sam's Town is seeming a bit Joshua Tree to me.

...or maybe it's just the black and white Anton Corbijn shots of the band members looking moody and scruffy in the desert:

thekillers.jpg

:hmm:

Maybe more like Joshua Fluff, but still great sounding stuff.

Gah, too lazy to go back and put the hyphen in there.

I like the song. As Canadiens said, it's fresh sounding and interesting but don't know if I wanna compare it to U2's current material. I'm curious about the album now. :hmm:

That's not the album cover I saw to sams town :huh:

The track doesn't really seem much like U2 to me....but i don't know i tend to think of one band as themselves and try to not too often compare them to other groups

jinn77 said:
It's the sound of U2 as they should have been after there glorious 90s creative period. Instead we got staid middle of the road crap,

Wait you mean they should have re-emerged sounding like a cross between themselves and an 80's snyth band?:huh:

He's improved somewhat lyrically compared to the god-awful lyrics of the last album, well somewhat. But that's pretty much all I can say. Yeah it's catchy, but it's still rehashed catchiness...

U2 better innovates itself in such a way that they will end up sounding like Aphex Twin, or even better AFX, on their next album or I will start a moanfest that has never seen its equal

U2 is U2, The Killers are The Killers. i dont think U2 'should' sound like any other band, but the Killers seem to have that experimental idea going on, because of necessity. The Killers absolutely cannot release Hot Fuss II. I love that album, but if they just do it again, they're dead in the water (rumours are that Sam's Town is headed in a very different direciton). U2 is big enough that they can do whatever they want, which, unfortunately, means they can write songs like the new beach clips (aka. ATYCLB II) and release this crap in an album. :|

they can still get Howie B in to stink up the beach clips with some misplaced beats and we will be able to rejoice in the glory left behind :hmm: :drool:

The vocals in the intro sound a bit like Eddie & The Cruisers... :eyebrow: and then move into a mix of his Hot Fuss voice crossed with the dude from Matchbox 20 crossed with Meatloaf....:huh:

I'm glad they ditched the suits...I've always hated bands that wear suits. Looks like they've gone for the Red Hill Mining Town look....

okay guys, let's compare every new song to U2.

I think that <insert song here> is really fresh compared to U2's last two albums. I wish U2 sounded like <insert song here>, and the 90's.

personally I wish U2 were more like Umphrey's McGee, that shit is the CUT

And, holy shit, Brandon Flowers has more vibrato in this vocal track than Brian Ferry making sweet love to Elvis Costello in David Byrne's house.

And the guitar solo is a nice try at something of Fix You's greatness :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom