The idea behind an extra track (i.e. Fast Cars)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soulrock2

The Fly
Why would you do that as a band? I mean, what's the reason behind this? What if the track really fits on the album? What if it does not?

You are a band. You work hard to make an album. You scratch two songs from the original playlist because you prefer quality over quantity (it's mentioned by Bono in the recent interviews).
That logic I can understand. But suddenly it's possible to put an extra track on the cd for special editions like a Japanese release or UK release? That's the point where I cannot follow the quality over quantity logic anymore? It's just a marketing idea to add an extra track on some editions! So marketing is more important than the "quality over quantity rule"?

Can someone explain this? I predict we will see threads all over this place when Fast Cars is a fantastic song. People will be dissapointed it's not on the regular album. Or the other way around...

I'm confused...

Last edited:
This usually happens with all albums. In places like Japan, CDs are very expensive, and piracy is high. So to help make sales more worthwhile in these regions, artists stick an extra track or some other bonus material on the album.

Album had 13 songs and was almost an hour long, so they decided to toss two songs out to make the usual U2 album lenth at 11 songs.

What was the other song that got cut?

I understand the marketing logic. I don't understand why marketing seems more important than quality of the cd. The UK got a bonustrack on ATYCLB because of the high price, but in The Netherlands cd's are more expensive than in the US... Where do you draw the line?

Is marketing more important than the quality of the cd? The majority will say: if Fast Cars is good enough for Japan or the UK, it's good enough for us!

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Album had 13 songs and was almost an hour long, so they decided to toss two songs out to make the usual U2 album lenth at 11 songs.

What was the other song that got cut?

Mercy, which came in at over 6 minutes. Expect that on the third single as a b-side.

Ah yes, Mercy.

Didn't Bono say its "best B-side you've ever heard"? Probably will end up on one of the singles, I agree.

Soulrock2 said:
I understand the marketing logic. I don't understand why marketing seems more important than quality of the cd. The UK got a bonustrack on ATYCLB because of the high price, but in The Netherlands cd's are more expensive than in the US... Where do you draw the line?

Is marketing more important than the quality of the cd? The majority will say: if Fast Cars is good enough for Japan or the UK, it's good enough for us!

Yeah, this is definitely an instance of US vs the world, since I think we're the only country not getting Fast Cars. However, it does make some sense. People in Japan will be more likely to spend the money for a CD if they know it has bonus material. They'll look online, find the US version, and see it only has 11 tracks. They'll then decide to actually buy the album to get the full thing. Basically, there has to be some incentive for them to buy it even though it may cost 10 dollars more than in the US. The unfortunate side affect is, of course, the US buyers don't get the extra track. With that said though, the collectors edition in the US does have it, so if you spend a little more (like the Japanese have to), you will get it. Also, I've seen many local stores that had the import version of ATYCLB for nearly the same price as the normal version. I suspect the same will happen with HTDAAB.

Here's one final thought...

While it's always nice to have more U2, I'm very glad that Yaweh is the closer. I'm looking forward to Fast Cars, but I'm not sure I want it tacked on at the end of HTDAAB. I'll probably look at it as being separate from the album itself. So in a sense, I'm happy with the 11 track idea.

I'm kind of hoping Fast cars will appear elsewhere and not just on special edition; Ground beneath her feet and Summer rain were on some versions of ATYCLB but they were also available in another way. Like Holy Joe on Japanese version of POP.

U2girl said:
I'm kind of hoping Fast cars will appear elsewhere and not just on special edition; Ground beneath her feet and Summer rain were on some versions of ATYCLB but they were also available in another way. Like Holy Joe on Japanese version of POP.

Good point! In fact, Summer Rain and Big Girls Are Best were both on Target's exclusive "7" CD, which was a promo they had for ATYCLB. Something like that could definitely happen this time around, and would probably at least include Fast Cars. Either way though, we'll have it in some form by the 22nd :)

:yes: If only they'd do such a thing all around the world.

I was thinking of MDH soundtrack and Beautiful day/Discotheque single, personally. (Summer rain is also on the 90's Best of)

Of course, there's always the internet...

Last edited:
Just read the NME review and they make an interesting point about Fast Cars.. to quote:

"And if you live in the UK or America, thats it. Because Bono has left a little ticking bomb of his own. Japanese versions of the album will end with "Fast Cars", a dazzling song, albeit a world away from anything else here and the source of the atomic bomb line. Its hypnotic, built around whirling African rhythms: denying the western world a song this good can only be a subtle fuck-you. He wont be drawn on who he'd vote for, but Bono's damned if hes giving us a song thats even influenced by the cultures we're allowing to die. Its the only polictal gesture on the entire album but its a devastating one."

JT: 50:13
AB: 55:28
Pop: 1:00:11
ATYCLB: 50:13

I think where you see why they are afraid to make an album over 50 mins (at least for the US).. I think they could have pulled it off with this album though because the quality of all of the songs can be equated to AB

Point is: people who download and not buy the actual album, will download eventually the 12-cd version. Only one person has to leak the Japanese version. If there's a 12-cd version on the net, why would you download the 11-track version?

I really don't understand the idea behind the bonustrack. Do you really think that Japanese people who have no intention to buy an 11-track album will buy a 12-track album? Doesn't make sense. Downloaders will download. Buyers wil buy. And some people do both, especially with an early leak.

Also, in Japan there are lotsa illegal cd's. Why would those illegal cd's not contain the bonustrack? Does that bonustrack comes with ultra anti-copy protection? No, of course not.

So my opinion is: if you say in interviews you prefer quality over quantity, don't put an extra track on the Japanese version using inferior marketing logic!

Last edited:
"Fast Cars" better be on the collectors edition worldwide. If you pay like $40 or whatever and dont get one extra track, that would suck man. :madspit:

I don't understand why bands are scared of making long albums...sure, if they're just filler tracks that aren't quite good enough, take them off. But if you have 60-70 minutes worth of great material, then make a cd that's 60-70 minutes long. I'd much rather have 60 minutes of great music over 50 any day, even if (shock horror!) I have to extend my attention span another 10 minutes...

RademR said:
"Fast Cars" better be on the collectors edition worldwide. If you pay like $40 or whatever and dont get one extra track, that would suck man. :madspit:

This is exactly my problem: why would an album be different if people pay more money because they live in a certain country?
Especially because Bono said they skipped two songs because they prefer quality over quantity.

I can live with a "bonus dvd", I can live with a "bonus book". But if the quality of the actual album is so important to U2, why put an extra NEW track on some editions? It really has a significant influence on the album IMO. Especially since YAHWEH is a great closer!

I predict we will have at least ten different threads about this subject on this board when Fast Cars is available.

P.S. This has nothing to do with the quality of HTDAAB. I love the album. This topic is purely about the weird logic behind a NEW bonustrack on a NEW album.

Party Boy - thanks for the NME interpretation of why "Fast Cars" is not available in the USA and/or other areas of the West. :applaud:

I happen to agree with their idea and I have to say I actually AGREE with it. It proves a point to those of us in the West that we may be the "first world" but that doesn't entitle us to receive everything in the world. :ohmy:

I think it's the B-man's attempt at leveling the playing field, of giving a "thumbs up" to world cultures

(I thank a certain someone for listening to a suggestion I made to him via a letter about two years ago :wave: )

and of letting those of us in the "first world" experience a little bit of humility.

It's good for our spirit.:hug:

This will be one U2 track that I guess I will download off the Internet.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:bono: :heart: :heart: :bow:

You've got to be kidding. We're talking about a JAPANESE version here! Not really the Third World Bono is fighting for, now is it?

Don't you think they will put out another EP with all the b-sides in a few months...like the target disc for ATYCLB. I mean...there are going to be a lot of americans who won't buy/download the singles and they will still want it made available to the US at some point. More cash in their pocket.

gorman said:

The unfortunate side affect is, of course, the US buyers don't get the extra track. With that said though, the collectors edition in the US does have it, so if you spend a little more

Where is there any proof that the collectors edition will have the extra track? In fact, everything I've seen online states that Fast Cars IS NOT part of it.

Could it be a hidden track, or would that have shown up on the album that has leaked on the internet? I dunno, just random thoughts. :eyebrow:

There is so much conflicting information about Fast Cars its ridiculous:

1) It doesn't appear on any tracklisting for any version on any online store

2) Bono told a fan it would be on the deluxe version. Being that this was during the apple thing, now I wonder if he thought he was being asked about the Digital Box Set rather than the Deluxe CD/DVD version.

3) Both U2Tour and U2 Achtung now say that it will be on ALL CD/DVD versions (not just the Collectors Edition)

4) NME makes a point of saying it will only be on the Japanese edition, which matches the tracklisting on Amazon.com's import version.

With 11 days left until the release we know as much today about Fast Cars (other than it's supposedly a kickass song) than we did 2 months ago.

I getting frustrated.:|

I remember one review described it as like a sequel to Vertigo, continuing that song's lyrical themes..oh and its supposed to be rocky too! If its a really amazing rock song I with lyrical continuity I dunno why it was left off..

Back
Top Bottom