The folks at NME have heard the WHOLE CD!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AussieU2fanman said:
But it seems this is going to be a heavily political album, which I would have preferred it not to be. But the songs seem to sound fantastic!

There's political and then there's political. I mean there's a difference between "This is what you should think...." and "This is what I feel...."

Most 'political' musicians these days are pretty lame, just a lot of finger pointing and shouting, so I understand you being nervous about a political album, but U2 have never forced a belief or simply heckled a different belief. The thinking is left to the listener.

To be honest, I'm not really getting a massive political vibe from that run down. It seems a very personal album, that Bono is really digging within himself. I think any political statement that's made will be more a personal opinion than a preaching sermon (typical of U2 of course).

Maybe the songs will maybe have polictical backdrops, like New Years Day, songs that you can still connect with on a personal level, but will have another level to them you can take or leave. What I am happiest about with the little snipits we've read from the NME article is Bono seems to have retruned to slightly more darker way of writing, more in the vain of AB. I feel the B-man is lyrically at his strongest when he's challenging his faith and his own downcomings.

Seems like the album could have the same momentum as ATYCLB with the second half being a little more reflective and understated.

Okay I really can't wait to hear 'One Step Closer' and 'Original of the Species.' Epic ballads like WOWY I can't wait for! This album is gonna be huge after carefully analysing the reports.

Political songs are fine by me - as a bad poet, to be able to write anything, you need some sort of muse - for some its love and all that goes with it, for others its the state of the world, religion or a combination of all of the above.

I think one of the best things about U2's lyrics is that they can be interpreted from a political, religious or personal point of view - maybe that is why they have such a broad support amongst fans - caters for all tastes.

Either way, am loving what i am reading and hearing about new album!

Party Boy said:
Political songs are fine by me - as a bad poet, to be able to write anything, you need some sort of muse - for some its love and all that goes with it, for others its the state of the world, religion or a combination of all of the above.

I think one of the best things about U2's lyrics is that they can be interpreted from a political, religious or personal point of view - maybe that is why they have such a broad support amongst fans - caters for all tastes.

Either way, am loving what i am reading and hearing about new album!

I should clarify, I am the bad poet, not bono or U2..... :ohmy:

poppyZbrite said:

This means that the single is in the same format as on the album (no power outage or guitar solo???)

The album version is even shorter than the radio version? LOL
There was never going to be a solo in Vertigo, it's just not Edge's style. But there will be a power outage as the Edge said in the interference interview.

"This means that the single is in the same format as on the album (no power outage or guitar solo???)"

Note that they did say it was an UNMASTERED version, so it's possible that the lengths may change??

Thanks for typing that up man. Awesome!!

I'm really surprised from the description of ABOY. From the clip it sounds like a rocking tune, but kind of just a fun song. This makes it sound like it's a LOT deeper. One of Bono's most confessional songs ever??? Yowzer.

HOLY SHIT.

I am breathless from reading that.

Oh wow.

Before, I've said this album will blow our minds. Now, let me just tell you it won't just blow our minds, it will BLOW OUR MINDS TO THE FREAKIN' MOON AND BACK.

What a review! Can you imagine what the more pro-U2 magazines are going to say? More importantly, can you imagine just how good this is going to be?

Wow!

Axver said:
HOLY SHIT.

I am breathless from reading that.

Oh wow.

Before, I've said this album will blow our minds. Now, let me just tell you it won't just blow our minds, it will BLOW OUR MINDS TO THE FREAKIN' MOON AND BACK.

What a review! Can you imagine what the more pro-U2 magazines are going to say? More importantly, can you imagine just how good this is going to be?

Wow!

I concur! The thrill of hearing these song for the first time is going to be breathtaking......
2 more months!? PISS OFF! It's right in the middle of my high school exams! I want it now........:(

I have NME in front of me now - they have the photo of the band (the one with Bono looking to his right, in denim) with the caption

"Bono was distracted during the shoot when his mates the Pope and Colin Powell started making silly faces at him"...

Good 'ol NME, even with a good review, always the odd dig here and there!

AussieU2fanman said:

I calculated 48 1\4 minutes for the whole album, not including the bonus track ;)

Hey thanks.

Okay......................the thought of waiting 7 weeks for this 48 1/4 minutes (not including the bonus track) is going to kill me.

(By the way did you get the email with the video file from 60 minutes?)

So if theres a copy of the album in the offices of NME what are the chances of a LEAK!:drool:

Or do they encript or do some tecnhology thingy to stop digital copying.........or did a rep play them the cd and take it back

OPINIONS?

AussieU2fanman said:

I concur! The thrill of hearing these song for the first time is going to be breathtaking......

Guuuh, I know! When I read that review of City Of Blinding Lights, I began singing Last Night On Earth. Oh, I can already imagine COBL/LNOE/UTEOTW/NYD. What a combination that would be! I'm getting myself so excited here. To see such a positive review come from a magazine not known to be favourable to U2 is a fantastic sign.

2 more months!? PISS OFF! It's right in the middle of my high school exams! I want it now........:(

Mate, you should come live here in Queensland! I graduate on 19 November so the timing couldn't be more perfect. The next two months cannot pass quick enough.

ramblin rose said:

Hey thanks.

Okay......................the thought of waiting 7 weeks for this 48 1/4 minutes (not including the bonus track) is going to kill me.

(By the way did you get the email with the video file from 60 minutes?)

Oh thanks! I just found it then, I didn't think anyone would send it to me. Cheers :)

philod said:
Hello there!

I'm a first time poster here, but I got so excited by this that I left my desk at work (who really needs a job anyway when there's new U2 on the way?), went out and bought a copy straight away (I think that it comes out a day early in London anyway)......

So, here it is (although I'm afraid I have no access to a scanner, but the only picture is the new colour Anton Corbijn one anyways).....

'It's one of the most eagerly anticipated albums of the year, is set to be one of the biggest-selling and NME has heard it first: it's U2's new album 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'. There are only two copies in the country but we got our hands on one of them.

The album, the band's 11th studio collection, is the follow-up to 2000's 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' and is an all-guns-blazing-guitar album produced by Steve Lillywhite (sp?). Because of a security lapse in the summer when a CD containing the record was lost or stolen from a photo session in France, security around the album is tight. However, NME managed to pull some strings to get a sneak preiew of an unmastered copy.

Out on November 22, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' is direct, loud and often heavier than their previous album, with a couple of songs big enough to shake stadiums. The first taste will come in the form of a single, 'Vertigo', released on November 8, but until then here's NME's exclusive track-by-track guide to the record.

'Vertigo' (3:07)
The first single, and as you'd expect, it's a corker. 'Vertigo' features a riff from The Edge as big as 'Beautiful Day', perfectly complementing Bono's cries of "Feeeel!" throughout the chorus. "Hello, hello, we're in a place called vertigo", he sings. It's an anthem, probable Number One single and an electrifying opening to the album.

'Miracle Drug' (3:54)
After the punky 'Vertigo', 'Miracle Drug' is much slower but still heavy. "Want to trip inside your head/Spend the day there", Bono croons. It's a love song with tribal drums and a massive guitar-led chorus. Could be a single.

'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' (5:02)
After two all-out rock numbers, 'Sometimes....' is the first ballad. Backed by simple chiming guitar and drums reminiscent of 'Where The Streets Have No Name', Bono sings "You don't have to put up a fight/You don't always have to be right....let me take some of the punches for you tonight". The feel is a lot like REM's 'Everybody Hurts'.

'Love and Peace or Else' (4:47)
An industrial growl and host of Nine Inch Nails-style noises hide Bono's whispering intro, before the song evolves into a clapalong, glammy chorus "Give me love and peace", Bono sings. It's the first hint of his political side, with references in to "troops on the ground". A thumping bassline makes it all sound a bit like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

'City of Blinding Lights' (5:44)
The second Big Stadium moment. Pretty piano opens the song, which sounds like an updated 'With or Without You', Bono's in reflective mood, singing, "The more you see, the less you know".

'All Because of You' (3:37)
'Achtung Baby'-era guitars back one of Bono's most confessional songs ever. "I'm not broke but you can see the cracks", he sings. The lyrics suggest that he may walk the corridors of the UN, meet with Presidents and be able to call the Pope on his mobile, but sometimes he'd just like to be simple old Paul Hewson.

'A Man and a Woman' (4:25)
If the first half of the record is direct, simple rock, from here on in it gets more chilled. 'A Man and a Woman' is the last of the straight-ahead rock numbers dealing with similar themes of lost love.

'Crumbs From Your Table' (4:57)
Compared to 'Vertigo' and 'All Because of You', 'Crumbs...' is one of the more understated songs on the album. Could probably have been a B-side.

'One Step Closer' (3:50)
An ambient-sounding track their old producer Brian Eno would have been proud of is the stand-out song on the second half of 'How to Dismantle...'. Bono's dejected, or in his words has "crossed the road from hope", but is resigned to his fate. "A heart that hurts is a heart that beats", he sings. It'll be the lighters-in-the-air moment on next year's stadium tour.

'Original of the Species' (4:33)
In keeping with the calmer mood of the second half of the album, 'Original...' has subtle, cinematic strings backing a pretty piano. It builds into an epic ballad which is classic U2.

'Yahweh' (4:20)
The title is the transliteration of the Hebrew word for the name of God, so it's appropriate what the closing song is a plea for peace. "Take these hands, don't make a fist", Bono sings, "take this mouth, give it a kiss".

'Fast Cars' (bonus track)
Unlikely to appear on the UK version of the album, this track is currently slated for inclusion on the Japanese pressing only. That's a tragedy for UK U2 fans as it's by far the most exciting song here. With a distinct Middle Eastern influence in the music, it's also where the line 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' comes from. NME says: put this track on the UK album!

NME verdict:
For fans looks for that classic U2 sound, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' is well worth the wait. Some strong tracks - particularly on the early part of the album - guarantee this will be a massive-selling record and will set them up for some monster live shows next year.'

My first post, but I doubt I'll ever make a more important one. My hands are shaking now....is that the excitement or the typing???

Forever a servant of the Blue Crack....

thanks for that...must have taken u ages!!....well worth it though

Back
Top Bottom