The Edge possibly a better vocalist than Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueyedpoet said:
The thing that I love about U2 is that the members' individual greatness is dwarfed by the band's greatness. Edge has said that he sees his role as doing whatever he can do to make his lead man look best. And, the Edge does this well. One only has to think about SYCMIOYO's chorus - I mean, the falsetto is mostly edge's. He provides a "filler" effect to a lot of other vocals too. His voice on most of these songs sounds great.
But, Bono's voice is just something that goes beyond. I'm, of course, thinking of his wails during New Years Day, Streets, SYCMIOYO, and his Miss Sarajevo.
I dunno...i just think it's unfair to compare the vocal talents of these two individuals. Their lack of individualism in their music is what makes U2 that great entity it is.

Excellent post. Right now, yeah maybe Edge's voice is better than Bono's but that's only because Bono has abused his vocal chords for 30 years. If you pop in the concert videos and listen closely you can hear Bono "save" his "good voice" for the key moments like when he tops out in SYCMIOYO or the opera part in Miss Sarajevo. Edge helps out when he has to and provides backing vocals and he does a fantastic job of it. But I'd much rather have a U2 with Bono as the clear lead and Edge with backing vocals than the other way around. The songs, for the most part, are written in such a way as to accomodate Bono's vocal abilities.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I agree with everything you've said. I love Bono to pieces, and I love his voice too (duh!), but I've always noticed that Edge has a beautiful voice (and it seems to be getting better, or at least more noticable in the last few years).

AMEN.

Bono dare to push his own voice to maixium, something Edge cant. Just listen to him when he sang SBS on Popmart. He sings it very carefully and low because its easy for him to sing offkey. Bono is a safer singer, as read before in this thread, Edge strongest thing is the falsetto. I can't imagine him sing long opera note "amoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuur" like Bono does on Miss Sarajevo.

For those that think Edge is a better vocalist/has a better voice than Bono, how do you come to this conclusion? I mean, what songs are you listening to b/c the only songs I've ever heard Edge sing more than a few lines are 1) Van Diemen's Land, which many times live was shaky at best and 2) PopMart SBS, which Edge sang in a easy/comfortable range with minimal "gusto".

I'm not arguing that Edge couldn't be better than Bono, I just don't get how one can arrive at that conclusion based on two rather simple songs and some backup vocals.

Backup vocals are just....backup vocals. We'd never argue that Bono might be a better guitarist than Edge based on a few bars he can strum along without any significant error, right?

Edge has all of the high range, and none of the power. Bono has a very forceful chest voice where Edge does not.

That's the main reason why Edge will never take over a lot of singing duties.

Bono just has to learn how to use his voice, kinda go where it wants to, rather than trying to push it somewhere else.

As an aside, I want to hear U2 do a live cover of 'There is a Light That Never Goes Out' with Edge on vocals.

Edge's voice has improved tremendously over the years. I recall "Van Diemen's Land" on R&H and thought it was absolutely horrible. Additionally, I wasn't horribly impressed by Edge's solos during the PopMart tour.

However, now, Edge does superb backing vocals that really complement Bono.

What Edge lacks is a certain passion that Bono brings, even when Bono's voice is weak on a given night. This may be because Edge is focusing on his guitar work. Regardless, Edge is a great back-up, but not a lead vocalist. And when Bono is on - and he was on a lot this last tour - Edge doesn't stand a chance. Bono's range and richness are outstanding (and one reason why he's considered one of the best vocalists in rock/pop music).

Edge makes Bono better and is great at harmonizing and providing back-up. But overall, Edge lacks the power and passion to truly be a great vocalist.

The best harmonizer is someone who can sing in key, has a good offsetting tone and knows better than to hog the mic from the guy who can actually sing the whole gamut.

Edge's falsetto support work on the version of "The Wanderer" U2 recorded for the CBS TV tribute to Johnny Cash is AMAZING. It's some of the best vocal work he or Bono has ever done.

LyricalDrug said:
Edge's falsetto support work on the version of "The Wanderer" U2 recorded for the CBS TV tribute to Johnny Cash is AMAZING. It's some of the best vocal work he or Bono has ever done.

No. Bono's studio version of "Can't Help Falling in Love" has a falsetto in the stratosphere.

But Edge is a fine singer. I'm not sure I would want an album where Edge was lead vocalist for all the songs, but I think as a back-up singer or doing a song or two, he's great.

doctorwho said:

No. Bono's studio version of "Can't Help Falling in Love" has a falsetto in the stratosphere.

But Edge is a fine singer. I'm not sure I would want an album where Edge was lead vocalist for all the songs, but I think as a back-up singer or doing a song or two, he's great.

Agreed - also some great falsetto work on that one, too

no way better than Bono. Can Edge hit higher notes than Bono?
maybe, but thats it
Bono's voice is melodic, full of soul, great range, and although his singing has lost some of the flamboyance it had in the past, he remains an extraordinary vocalist, full of control of his voice now, maybe better than ever. The color of his voice is so beautiful, Edge is so nasal, people would not stand him more than 30 minutes

Bono's voice maybe the biggest weapon of U2's "success"
U2 could have been the same great band without Bono, maybe a another good vocalist, with the same extraordinary genius in Edge, and the great rythm section in Adam & Larry. Even with the same songwriting, the same songs...imagine that
Haven't you wondered, what would have happened with U2 if Bono had never been the singer?

LyricalDrug said:

:lol: While yes it was a good falsetto, it ruined the song.

And Bono has many better performances.
LMBLover said:

Conventionally, yeah Edge's may be a bit better, technically--he can hit some notes that bono can't anymore--

Not even close. Edge hardly has any full voice...

I'm so amazed that people can even say something like this. He has a good falsetto and he can harmonize, that's about it. Where have you seen proof of anything else? VanDiemen's, his performance of SBS, etc are barely listenable.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:lol: While yes it was a good falsetto, it ruined the song.

And Bono has many better performances.

Not even close. Edge hardly has any full voice...

I'm so amazed that people can even say something like this. He has a good falsetto and he can harmonize, that's about it. Where have you seen proof of anything else? VanDiemen's, his performance of SBS, etc are barely listenable.

I agree, BVS. Maybe he does have a great voice, but until proof actually exists, the example we have thus far lead me to believe quite the opposite.

doctorwho said:

a friend of mine who's a music teacher and is a pretty talented singer was in the car with me when that song came on the iPod and he commented on how bono must've had his balls chopped off in order to hit that note

tis an amazing recording.

I think we're giving the falsettos (Edge's and Bono's) way too much credit. I've heard falsetto is not that difficult b/c you're only using half of the vocal chords you normally do. If I really cared to, I could sing Lemon no problem. It wouldn't be good, but I could do it. I'd never in a million years even consider attempting Bono's recent version of Miss Sarajevo! Also, I'd rather have a vocalist who's a great singer than one who can do a good falsetto. This is U2, not Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons :der:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I think we're giving the falsettos (Edge's and Bono's) way too much credit. I've heard falsetto is not that difficult b/c you're only using half of the vocal chords you normally do. If I really cared to, I could sing Lemon no problem. It wouldn't be good, but I could do it. I'd never in a million years even consider attempting Bono's recent version of Miss Sarajevo! Also, I'd rather have a vocalist who's a great singer than one who can do a good falsetto. This is U2, not Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons :der:

Sure, anyone can hit the notes in Lemon, but that does not make it good. To sing falsetto so it sounds good, is often very difficult. And to go from open voice to falsetto (and back to open) is considered very difficult. I have never heard anyone who has a falsetto like Bono. It's quite amazing.

ElectricalVoice said:

Sure, anyone can hit the notes in Lemon, but that does not make it good. To sing falsetto so it sounds good, is often very difficult. And to go from open voice to falsetto (and back to open) is considered very difficult. I have never heard anyone who has a falsetto like Bono. It's quite amazing.

My point was more that it seems like the only evidence people have of Edge's vocal talent is his falsetto. As a lead vocalist, what good would that be?

Vocals:
Bono>>>Edge

Guitar:
Edge>>>Bono

I really don't think it comes close. :shrug:
As for Edge's falsetto? Umm, not to offend but I think it gets pretty poor sometimes. Like a bad Prince immitation. The Wanderer, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, City Of Blinding Lights. Not what I would call a lead-singer voice. I'm sorry.

Nube Gris said:

Bono's voice maybe the biggest weapon of U2's "success"
U2 could have been the same great band without Bono, maybe a another good vocalist, with the same extraordinary genius in Edge, and the great rythm section in Adam & Larry. Even with the same songwriting, the same songs...imagine that
Haven't you wondered, what would have happened with U2 if Bono had never been the singer?

Gotta disagree highly with you , 1st u2 is a 4 legged table , so the sucess is based on all of them , besides , ok u made a good point , u2 without Bono wouldn't be u2 , but U2 without Edge would have never reached the places and the high the boys did.

I agree with anyone who has said that Edge couldn't quite take over as a lead singer - as much as i think Edge has a lovely voice&he does great falsetto on The Fly, etc - Bono is still far superior with the raw power in his voice to sing stuff like Zoo station and UTEOTW! :drool:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

My point was more that it seems like the only evidence people have of Edge's vocal talent is his falsetto. As a lead vocalist, what good would that be?

True, true... Falsetto is certainly not enough at all. By the way - I think Bono has a much better falsetto than Edge. It's richer, in a way. And much more controlled.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom