the clarence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Souly said:

Definatly not student friendly :der:

Definitely not! I don't think I've ever paid more than $75 for a room for a night, and that's before you get 6-8 other people in there and split the cost! I'm more of the camping/hostel/freeloading type. Looks yummy though.

Got asked to leave the Tea Room and got drunk at the Octagon Bar........

Lovely place that Clarence Hotel. :wink:

Ahh, if only I had the cash to stay there, but when I went to Dublin for Popmart, our group went to dinner at the Tea Room. Of the five of us, three of them kept bitching about the price and only ordered like soup, me and one other person were like you only live once (and please, the prices are not unexpected for fine dining) and chowed down, and it was good. :D

Yeah, The Clarence is on my "to-do" list. Wow those beds sound amazing, so I think it's officially been bumped up a few notches on that list.

Mr. LG was supposed to take me to Ireland this year, but evidently his geography skills aren't all that great; instead we're going to Vegas. (Actually I think it's our bank accounts that are dictating we do something much cheaper. For the price of a week in Vegas (air and hotel) we could stay for probably 1.5 nights at The Clarence, and that's NOT including getting us there.)

I was watching an Irish cooking special on the Food Channel last week and they made mention of a dish that's served at The Clarence that Edge helped the chef create. It looks like potato balls, and of course they said it was divine. Unfortunately for me it includes pork, which I avoid (I just love pigs too much to eat them).

I think there should be a PLEBAn discount at the hotel. :yes: Of course, if any of them happen to see us on the list to check in, I'm sure they'll make a mad dash outta Ireland!

I go to the Octagon Bar every now and again, but only because the cocktails are absolutely divine (even though very expensive). I had a tour around the hotel, because I was writing a travel guide about Dublin for a Dutch publisher, which was pretty cool. Very nice rooms. The manager also told us that they're turning the space where the Kitchen used to be in a spa/swimming pool. And they've bought the three buildings next to it to extend the hotel. Big plans!

The rooms are quite expensive, but sometimes they do have some good (weekend) deals on the website.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
How does the Clarence compare to other hotels in the area? I've never been to Europe, only Africa, but I want to see the Netherlands (where my fam is from) and the Englad, Ireland, Scottland area. Is it a super nice hotel? Any reasons to stay there as opposed to another nice hotel other than U2? I love sleeping and you guys are really getting me hooked describing the beds!

it´s a very nice hotel but there are better places in town to be honest.

very nice hotel..breakfast was excellent,room not so big..bed and sheet so nice..:))I was there sept'03..will be back soon!!!

Oh shoot! My brother is going to Dublin next week on a business trip and I told him to go to the Kitchen, and that he might see Bono there (as I did back in '94!). Anyway, reading this thread reminded me that the Kitchen no longer exists. Uggh...

Anyone know the reason they got rid of it? I loved that place!!

Lemon Grrrrrl said:

I think there should be a PLEBAn discount at the hotel. :yes: Of course, if any of them happen to see us on the list to check in, I'm sure they'll make a mad dash outta Ireland!

:applaud:

hmm... maybe we can go there with a lot of PLEBAns XD wonder how the staff would react of a complete army of U2 addicts :wink:

and I think the kitchen was closed after a fire or so... cna't remember precisely..

Copied this from the website:

EASTER BREAK IN STYLE (3/4 nights)

"EASTER BREAK IN STYLE" : The enticing Easter In Style Package includes Superior Room accommodation from €229.00 per room per night. Full Irish Breakfast in the hotel’s renowned Tea Room Restaurant for up to 2 persons sharing and a special Clarence Easter gift for everyone of course!

The Easter In Style Package is based on a 4 night minimum stay when booking from Thursday 13th April and on a 3 night minimum stay when booking from the Friday 14th April.
Deluxe Room Upgrade : €30
Suite Upgrade : €360

Price: €229

My "special Clarence Easter gift" would have to be seeing Bono hop around in a pair of bunny ears.:)

As far as Dublin "Posh/Nice" hotels go, the Clarence isn't any more expensive than anywhere comparable in style and amenities AND location- all of which you pay for. There are less expensive "Americanized" hotels in Dublin but any nice hotel is going to cost you. Dublin has become a very rich city and it was never cheap to be there in the first place. If you need to do Ireland on the cheap, then B&B it or rent an apartment for the time you are there.

And yes as it was said- there ARE nicer places to stay in Dublin.

Last edited:
longingforBono said:
Copied this from the website:

EASTER BREAK IN STYLE (3/4 nights)

"EASTER BREAK IN STYLE" : The enticing Easter In Style Package includes Superior Room accommodation from €229.00 per room per night. Full Irish Breakfast in the hotel’s renowned Tea Room Restaurant for up to 2 persons sharing and a special Clarence Easter gift for everyone of course!

The Easter In Style Package is based on a 4 night minimum stay when booking from Thursday 13th April and on a 3 night minimum stay when booking from the Friday 14th April.
Deluxe Room Upgrade : €30
Suite Upgrade : €360

Price: €229

My "special Clarence Easter gift" would have to be seeing Bono hop around in a pair of bunny ears.:)

As far as Dublin "Posh/Nice" hotels go, the Clarence isn't any more expensive than anywhere comparable in style and amenities AND location- all of which you pay for. There are less expensive "Americanized" hotels in Dublin but any nice hotel is going to cost you. Dublin has become a very rich city and it was never cheap to be there in the first place. If you need to do Ireland on the cheap, then B&B it or rent an apartment for the time you are there.

And yes as it was said- there ARE nicer places to stay in Dublin.

WOW!!! WHAT A DEAL!!! :ohmy: only $277 dollars...! compared to the regular price that is almost half of what they normally charge.

We love that hotel!!! The Octagon room is so lovely. They have the best soundtrack too from Sinatra to Bjork! :)

And the cash you put down for the tea room is well worth it... A toast to the Clarence.

I long to stay there one day&roll around with someone on their beds! :drool:

That place sounds swell. Yes I would love to have a toast at the Clearence, among other things(spoons). I bet I know who susanp has in mind for the roll around;)

U2Fanatic4ever said:

WOW!!! WHAT A DEAL!!! :ohmy: only $277 dollars...! compared to the regular price that is almost half of what they normally charge.

I can find a deal on anything anywhere. I am the queen of bargain shopping. He he!

Hi susan! LTNS! Hi carmel too!

Last edited:
i love the octagon bar - always go there whenever i go to dublin... i've got drunk there many a time :D

Niamh_Saoirse said:
we are known for having spent 700 euros in 5 hours. :shifty: :lol:

700 euros hey flav - i remember that bill:

18 pints of guinness
9 gins
8 vodkas
6 bulmers
a bunch of other booze and mixers
so on and so forth
and a couple of millers for the resident lightweight!

:lol:

Last edited:
I certainly can't compare to that ^ :wink: but I did have a couple of nice cocktails at the Octagon back in 2001. And they have very nice toilets too! :D

digsy said:
i love the octagon bar - always go there whenever i go to dublin... i've got drunk there many a time :D

18 pints of guinness
9 gins
8 vodkas
6 bulmers
so on and so forth

I believe the resident lightweight made up for it later that night! :wink:

And the same day we spent those 700 euros there, we went to a resturant for dinner and drank ourselves stupid with beer and sake. :drunk:

yeah i remember - i had to increase my overdraft after that weekend!
and i still have a wad of those goddamn handtowels in a drawer at home! :lol:

digsy said:

18 pints of guinness
9 gins
8 vodkas
6 bulmers
so on and so forth

Take me with you next time :hyper:

after that much booze, i dont think anyone remembers! (or cares...!)
:drunk:

I'm going to stay at the Clarence for a night in May! I'm already looking forward to it! :) It will be my last night in Ireland...
I also paid 230 Euro for a room/night - you can book it online using the link on the Clarence homepage!

And I like the Octagon Bar! Miroslava- maybe we meet each other there one day ;)

Back
Top Bottom