The Bible: How Much of It Have You Read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How much of the Bible have you read?

• All of it: both the OT and NT.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Some entire books. Not all.

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Some verses here and there.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I've never read any of it.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
melon said:
I wish I could take a college-level scholarly course on the Bible. I'd love to study it stripped of all the baggage and traditions accompanied with it. I'd love to learn about the history involved surrounding when it was written. I'd love even to study the evolution of and differences in translations over the past 2000 years.

I did this. It took several months to get through everything....it was fascinating.

melon said:
I wish I could take a college-level scholarly course on the Bible. I'd love to study it stripped of all the baggage and traditions accompanied with it. I'd love to learn about the history involved surrounding when it was written. I'd love even to study the evolution of and differences in translations over the past 2000 years.

I took one last semester, by far one of the most rewarding classes I've ever taken.

My only regret was that our professor was sick when we hit the NT, so we had a substitute and she wasn't nearly as knowledgable. I still feel I'm lacking, historically, in that area.

I read more of the Bible in that class than I ever did in my years of Lutheran school. :wink:

As a theology student I've completed core subjects for both the Old and New Testaments.

I've probably read a great majority of the Bible...I've read the entire New Testament.

I'm reading a book by New Zealand writer Mike Riddell who argues that the Bible was never meant to be read cover-to-cover and that the Bible is an early form of hypertext ...much like the internet.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
I have read all of it, the OT and the NT. I occasionally still read from it.

Ant.

All of it. (It appears from previous posts, Ant. and I have the
same taste in literature).

Incredible book. Many agnostics love it. You can read it on a ton of levels.

Bad Templar said:
I'm reading a book by New Zealand writer Mike Riddell who argues that the Bible was never meant to be read cover-to-cover and that the Bible is an early form of hypertext ...much like the internet.

I'd very much agree. With the formation of the New Testament canon, we have the luxury of original documents from that era stored by the Vatican. We see how it took two centuries for the early Christian church to make up its mind for the final canon.

The Old Testament...we don't have nearly the same luxuries of seeing how it was a work in progress. The best we can do is conjecture from various texts we find from various Jewish sects. The Dead Sea Scrolls was a great window to the idea that every Jewish sect had their own OT canon, along with some changes.

Our OT canon came from the Pharisees. Of course, we know what Jesus said to them in the end. :wink: The idea of "textual accuracy" probably didn't exist until the advent of the printing press, IMO. When you have to "hand write" every book prior to that, there's too much temptation to make changes/additions. Even then, though, we have how many Biblical translations even now that aren't the same?

Melon

melon said:
The best we can do is conjecture from various texts we find from various Jewish sects. The Dead Sea Scrolls was a great window to the idea that every Jewish sect had their own OT canon, along with some changes.

I've been fascinated with the Essene sect for years.

Even though they hated the Pharisees and every other branch of Judaism, they pretty much had the complete Old Testament canon and apocrypha.

I've got two books: The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible and The Complete Dead Sea Scolls in English which contain every document uncovered at Qumran.

I'd love to know whether Jesus or John the Baptist (in particular) had anything to do with the Essenes.

I don't read the bible cause I hate it I hate religion I hate every aspect of it God doesn't exist Atheism is no believe because God doesn't exist so why read the bible full of bullshit I think so lalala

I don't read the bible cause I hate it I hate religion I hate every aspect of it God doesn't exist Atheism is no believe because God doesn't exist so why read the bible full of bullshit I think so lalala

Well, that was constructive.

Ant.

U2democrat said:
My favorite snippets from the bible is from an "obscure" book.

Habakkuk, all of chapter 1 plus chapter 2, verses 1-6. read it and think of iraq, 9-11, just watching the news in general. its very eerie, but good.

I love that book too! How strange?!?! And we're both PK's...hmmm. The latter prophets had a whole different outlook and relationship with God than the more legendary myth-like prophets that went up to heaven in chariots of fire.
Oh, and yeah i'm one of those strange people who have actually read the entire thing.

Last edited:
I've read "In the beginning..." and then got bored. I read psalm 40 once to see what it was about, so my answer is one sentence and one psalm.

BassTrap82 said:

You hate the Bible even though you haven't read it?

I read all of Ecclesiastes for a philosophy course on death and dying, strangely enough.

I've read all of Genesis, I think most of Exodus, probably most of the Gospels (I know I've read all of Luke and I think all of John), and chunks of everything else.

I'd like to check out The Message translation--my current Bible is the "big red one," the Oxford Annotated NRSV.

Have read large chunks of it, at one time or another. At school, I would have been pretty familiar with Acts of the Apostles and St Paul's letters and would have been able to quote from them.

I read the entire Bible during my sophomore year of college. I didn't have any classes in religious studies, I was just reading it out of my own interest. Since then, I've read the NT again (The Message). I would definitely recommend The Message to anyone.
I love all 4 Gospels. They can enlighten, comfort, and challenge the reader all at the same time. And Job is a masterpiece just by itself.

Coemgen, What does your latest avatar mean?

I've read all the NT and a few chapters from OT, I really don't like reading the OT. I just don't understand it I guess. :shrug: I'll have to give The Message a read.

If you want a scholarly, yet easy to follow study guide for the Bible (particularly the OT), I highly recommend "Understanding the Bible" by Stephen Harris. It was my textbook last fall and I loved it. One of those books I wish I'd purchased a new copy of!

Obviously, it is a scholarly and non-denominational approach, but it is very illuminating and a good jumping point for further research.

deep said:

give me a break

I'd be interest to read your inciteful treatise into why you disagree.

If nothing else Job is significant because it is one of the earliest pieces of literature known to humankind.

Then again I suppose Homer's Iliad and Odysseyare overrated too...that's not Homer Simpson incase you're wondering.

I guess Deep's screen name is a misnomer. :wink: Seriously though, Job is a highly respected work by virtually all scholars. No Judeo-Christian beliefs are needed to appreciate it as a piece of literature.

AvsGirl41, thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
2Hearts said:
I guess Deep's screen name is a misnomer. :wink: Seriously, Job is a highly respected work by virtually all scholars. No Judeo-Christian beliefs are needed to appreciate it as a piece of literature.

:up:

Yeah, deep, that was kind of harsh. I read Job in a philosophy class when we were talking about stoicism and suffering. It's really an amazing story.

Back
Top Bottom