The backlash against Hip Hop is coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoomerang96 said:

matchbox twenty has played a large part in destroying mainstream rock radio, and they deserve all the shit i throw at them - and a whole lot more.

:lol:

I think I still have a Matchbox Twenty CD lying in the deep recesses of my basement (which only proves the fact that basements are indeed scary). It's about time I got a new frisbee...

Flying FuManchu said:
I think I support most of what you say HelloAngel but crunk and booty music is as much a part of "true" hip hop as what the "artists" such as Black Star, the Roots, Blackalicious, etc. put out.

Yes, that's true. It is part of the umbrella. But I guess I just don't want people thinking that what is shown on MTV via Juvenile and the Cash Money Millionaires is what really represents Hip-Hop culture and the hip-hop community. Sure, "crunk" and "booty music" is what is playing in the background while the headz dance, but it's not what they're vibing to necessarily - that's reserved for the artists you and I have mentioned. :)

LeafsNation said:
Maybe I just don't get it, but I simply cannot understand what's so appealing about a guy talking about the crap going on in his life over a drum machine with some scratches

Well, it'd be that they have a unique way of telling their story-they sing about some tough stuff, and their lyrics can be so poetic that it draws people in to listen to their life story.

Originally posted by LeafsNation
Nevertheless, I just can't get into a genre that essentially has little to no melody. Even a loud obnoxious AC/DC song like Hell's Bells has some kind of melody. When was the last time you whistled a rap tune in the shower or hummed one on the way to work?

"Family Affair" by Mary J. Blige is a very catchy song. And "The Message", while it's a very dark song lyrically, has a good beat to it. And so on and so forth. It may not be the most melodic genre of music, but it's still very catchy nonetheless.

Originally posted by LeafsNation
I know Bono likes Hip Hop, but to use his expression that music is a "reflection of the soul", please explain to me people how this music can touch your soul like a rock song can (or even an R and B, Blues or Jazz song).

Well, to those who live the same kind of lives that the rappers discuss in their songs, it's obviously gonna mean something to them right then and there, really gonna touch their souls, 'cause they hear these guys and go, "Wow, someone else understands!"-they can fully relate to the song, and I've heard stories from kids who are into rap music that have said that such and such song means so much to them, has saved their life, etc., etc. And it can affect people who don't live that lifestyle but still find some of the circumstances that rappers grow up in to be very sad nonetheless-I mentioned "The Message" earlier, and that's one hell of a powerful song. It's alerting people to some crap in this world that really needs to be taken care of.

There's songs in every genre-rap, rock, R&B, pop, etc.-that can touch people's souls. Just because rap/hip hop doesn't touch your soul doesn't mean it didn't have that effect on someone else.

Angela

HelloAngel said:
Let's not confuse "crunk" and "booty music" with true hip-hop.

:wink: Crunk ??,, Please educate this silly Dane in what crunk music is :wink: But i get " booty music ",,,

I do respect hiphop music and the fact that we all have different taste in music. I even think Snoop´s new album is quite good,, Its just the videos ( or some videos ) that i find pathetic.. Or atleast the booty videos...

LeafsNation said:
please explain to me people how this music can touch your soul like a rock song can (or even an R and B, Blues or Jazz song).

I listen to a lot of rap, hip hop, r & b, and then some. I've been listening to rap since I was in the fifth grade. A little white girl in Oklahoma who ran home every day after school to catch Yo! Mtv Raps. I feel pretty qualified to talk about these genres of music.

I listen to these genres in all their glory. I'm not just into the less flashy artists, or the more intelligent ones, or the less violent ones. I love Snoop and 50 Cent as much as I love Boogie Down Productions and De La Soul. All of their music affects me in some way on a positive level. I find a lot of the booty, bling, and krunk music fun. It's not going to raise my IQ, but it will get my blood running and my eyes open while I'm driving to work in the morning. Snoop can talk all he wants about bitches and hoes--I know he's married to his high school sweetheart and has three kids. The guy coaches his kid's peewee football team. I know better than to take his music literally. It's entertainment.

But when it comes to how these genres touch my soul, there are many ways, especially when it comes to some rap and r & b artists. With rap, I may not relate to growing up amidst drugs, violence, and horrific poverty in an inner city or in the deep South, but I want to hear their stories. I want to know what it's like and see their victory in overcoming the odds. Life is a struggle for everyone, and I want to hear about theirs. And hearing about it can sometimes break my heart, enrage me to the depths of my soul, and lift me up to think that one day, things may not have to be that way.

And with r & b, their are some fantastic songs about all types of subjects. Beautiful, soulful ballads, angry songs of heartbreak, and still more songs of struggle. Mary J. Blige's 'No More Drama' especially comes to mind. Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, Jodeci (back in the day), even BoyzIIMen, can really make you feel what they're singing about, no matter what they're saying.

The feelings and emotions conveyed in the songs of all these genres are as diverse as they are in any other genre. Anger, love, romance, violence, revenge, sex, joy, depression, fear, confidence, the preciousness of life...it's all there if you're willing to hear it.

If you're feeling really open minded, here are some rap songs that especially get to me. The stuff in parentheses is just a quick note as to what the song is about.

DMX - Who We Be (about the struggle of blacks)
Bubba Sparxxx - Nowhere (poor whites and blacks in the South)
Arrested Development - Tennessee, Revolution (black history)
Public Enemy - Fight the Power (black empowerment)
DMX - Slippin' (growing up surrounded by violence)
De La Soul - Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa (sexual abuse)
Boogie Down Productions - My Philosophy (about stereotypes and the music industry)
Talib Kweli - Get By (optimism for the future)
Faithless - Mass Destruction (the current war in Iraq)

I remember Dynamite Hack doing a cover of NWA's Boyz-n-the Hood - accoustic guitars and pop melodies. Of course it was part joke/ fun/ homage type of song but when you listen to the cover you get a better picture/ understanding of how good some rappers are at telling a story through rhyme and music. That is the impression I got. Of couse a lot on the radio these days over-emphasizes the chorus which IMO takes away from some songs.

I don't really hate on alot of musicans or groups but I CANNOT STAND Cash Money & co. and the beats/ music they produce. Ugh! :yuck: :shrug:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Thankyou, Lester Bangs, for that balanced, articulate, and meaningful assessment of Matchbox20.

Zoo, chill out. if you wanna moan about them that's your business - I just responded with an off-the-cuff remark, which as it stands is not yet illegal. I personally couldn't give a rat's arse what you think about Matchbox20, and I am pretty sure you feel the same way about me. I'm not stupid enough to think otherwise, or to get into a rage about somebody disagreeing with me over something reasonably trivial. I was brought up better than that and also to use a bit of common sense.

As for you bitching about a band for longer than I've been here - how mature! That really made me laugh. The fact that you, in your own words, have been "ragging on them", while I've usually tried to have interesting and reasonable discussions (as opposed to just chucking toys out of the pram at random), says a hell of a lot more about your mentality than it does about mine. What does it matter how long any of us have been here? I'm just as entitled to express my opinion as you are to yours.

To summarise, if YOU can't handle a rational debate... well, suffice to say that it isn't MY problem. Take a few doses of your own medicine: if YOU don't like it, it's tough for you, not me. So back the fuck off, pal. Try logic next time, rather than pathetic bullying tactics - I left the playground a long, long time ago. :rolleyes:

Best wishes,
An ADULT.

did i touch a nerve, princess darling?

perhaps your just upset that i'm right about this?

and what does being an adult have to do with anything? i wear a suit and tie to work, i meet with the most important people to discuss money, sex, and alcohol all the time. perhaps your job is more adulterating?

ah, what a word. another deathbear trademark ready to be coined into a hallmark greeting card.

what i truly am thrilled at is the amount of effort you've made to combat my claims against matchbox twenty. shitass bands like that don't need explanation or ADULT reason to explain why they're awful. if you don't have the capacity to understand what makes them so bad in the first place, perhaps i'm the one who's wasting my time?

um, no. when it comes to fighting the good fight, deathbear has the energy of a million men willing to do whatever it takes until everyone realizes how important it is they feel the same way about things as he does.

and now that i've come to the point where i'm referring to myself in the third person, i'll leave you with an inspiring quote by none other than king.

"to be or not to be - that is not the question. to be like king, and to be more like him than even he can ever be, is not only the question - it's the answer!"

hallelujah!

~king

HelloAngel said:
For what it's worth, Bear, Matchbox 20 are pretty much defunct. Now you can attack Rob Thomas' sure to be dreadful solo "career." They're not even played on any other radio stations besides adult contemporary stations, so not sure the belief that they destroyed rock radio holds a tub of water.

The mainstream rock radio stations I listen to play Muse, The Kaiser Chiefs, Interpol, The Bravery and Franz Ferdinand. I think that's pretty cool :up:

i know, isn't it great! rob thomas will go away eventually too, i'm sure of it. but how much damage will he do in the meantime?

and your mainstream rock radio kicks mine all over the place. there's not a station i can get that plays that stuff except cbc radio 2/3 at night.

Zoomerang96 said:
and your mainstream rock radio kicks mine all over the place. there's not a station i can get that plays that stuff except cbc radio 2/3 at night.

Don't fret Bear. I stopped listening to the radio over 10 years ago and my CD collection has never looked better. :sexywink:

Bunbury said:
Most of the mainstream hip hop is trash. :|

Well...most mainstream anything is trash. :shrug:

Yeah, I'll admit to being a snob. :wink: (Hell, if you read my journal, you'd know that snob is the least of what I get called. :D )

indra said:

Well...most mainstream anything is trash. :shrug:

Exactly. Everything has it's pop. Pop rock, or pop rap or whatever is important, because it's an opening for people into the real stuff, but it is exactly what it is; pop. The fact that you can't find a meaning or soul in any of it isn't exactly surprising.

Try expanding your hip-hop/rap listening a bit, give it a go at least.

If you truly can't see the excitement/soul/innovation/energy/funk/creativity/storytelling etc etc etc in hip-hop then I feel sorry for you, but each to their own I guess.

Zoomerang96 said:

did i touch a nerve, princess darling?

perhaps your just upset that i'm right about this?

and what does being an adult have to do with anything? i wear a suit and tie to work, i meet with the most important people to discuss money, sex, and alcohol all the time. perhaps your job is more adulterating?

ah, what a word. another deathbear trademark ready to be coined into a hallmark greeting card.

what i truly am thrilled at is the amount of effort you've made to combat my claims against matchbox twenty. shitass bands like that don't need explanation or ADULT reason to explain why they're awful. if you don't have the capacity to understand what makes them so bad in the first place, perhaps i'm the one who's wasting my time?

um, no. when it comes to fighting the good fight, deathbear has the energy of a million men willing to do whatever it takes until everyone realizes how important it is they feel the same way about things as he does.

and now that i've come to the point where i'm referring to myself in the third person, i'll leave you with an inspiring quote by none other than king.

"to be or not to be - that is not the question. to be like king, and to be more like him than even he can ever be, is not only the question - it's the answer!"

hallelujah!

~king

hallelujah! right back atcha, bear. Next time try talking sense.

You didn't hit a nerve at all - I'm not particularly fond of Matchbox20: to be honest, I didn't mind their first album but the rest has been utter shite in my opinion. Believe me, I'm not in any particular hurry to listen to Rob Thomas' solo stuff either - I do find that he frequently sounds like an elderly yak giving birth to triplets in a public toilet.

That's not the point I was making originally, and you bloody well know it.

It was you making sweeping claims about Matchbox20 having "played a large part in destroying mainstream rock radio" while not backing them up with any evidence, or even the slightest hint of anything resembling articulacy, that I found childish. If Matchbox20 are that bad they're not going to have a particularly important place in the annals of modern music, are they? Simple as that.

I thought you were behaving like an immature dickwad and i told you so. It would have been different f you'd had anything of value or interest to say.

It appears that the only response you have is to repeat your ridiculous claims of megalomaniac proportions. I will therefore leave you to your own devices, as I see no point in wasting my own time reasoning with someone behaving like an imbecile. Although I have to admit that your Hamlet bastardisation was really amusing:

:up: Okay mate, if you say so. Did they let you out of the padded cell, or did you manage to escape? If it's the latter, well done.

One last thing - try learning basic grammar that most people absorb by the age of five (possibly six, for the slowest learners): you are = you're, belonging to you = your. Thankyou for the memory, and goodnight. Love and Peace (or, Peace on Earth, if you prefer). :lol:

Last edited:
PS: What I would be truly thrilled at, were I that deprived of a life*, is that your response to my last post backed up everything I'd said therein.

*I have an excuse for being here still - insomnia is a terrible thing! :)

deer sally,

i wanted too personally thank you for taking the time too complain about all the "vaults" you found in my post.

seeing as you have steaked a claim in discribing my views as "childish", perhaps you'd expect me to through a tirade at you in response?

no, of course not. you've given me everything i could ever want. when it comes to internet masausage boreds, theres' little i enjoy more then having a healthy debate among fellow respective peers - including you!

i full-heartedly value and cherish your opinions and viewpoints, and together, i feel we can exchange dialogue that would not only change ourselves - but the world that exists in us.

your probably the most best person at like, you know. you really put it too me.

i'm am humbled.

~zoomerang96

p.s. matchbox twenty sucks ass

Last edited:
oh, but wait - theres's more! up until recently i was actually a writer by profession! super!

if you dont beleive me, i have proof.

so don't go making false accusations, silly willy!!!!! :happy: :happy:

hey there bear.

i'm am humbled.

~zoomerang96

p.s. matchbox twenty sucks ass

That was a very good ending! :lmao:

it wasn't your views, at all, that I was calling childish - just the way you put them forward. I guess we've both established our views on Matchbox20 and their environs, LOL.

I dunno about you, but I'm going to go and try to get some sleep, before we bore the other forum folk to death with our mutual silliness.

You're a funny guy and you do make me giggle with your comments. :yes:

I'm wondering if we have managed to kill this thread completely - I think it's a distinct possibility! :ohmy:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
hey there bear.

That was a very good ending! :lmao:

it wasn't your views, at all, that I was calling childish - just the way you put them forward. I guess we've both established our views on Matchbox20 and their environs, LOL.

I dunno about you, but I'm going to go and try to get some sleep, before we bore the other forum folk to death with our mutual silliness.

You're a funny guy and you do make me giggle with your comments. :yes:

I'm wondering if we have managed to kill this thread completely - I think it's a distinct possibility! :ohmy:

well i'm glad we could come to an understanding... :wink:

MrBrau1 said:
I'm waiting for the backlash against white people who think they're black. Wait? everyone hates them already.

when will the world learn that white males are the most discriminated peoples?

Back
Top Bottom