The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, It came with the 16gb flash drive, I got it from ATT for $159
I got a 32gb card at Staples fir $39
so I got 48gb for $198

This is my first Android, the gingerbread os is fine, and I don't know what all the ATT bloatware is that I am suppose to have.
the OS works great, can't imagine how much better ICS could be :shrug:

My phone contract is expiring soon, and there's a lot of Android Sexiness out there with 4G and 4+ inch screens. But a big sticking point keeping the Iphone an option is that I have a Mac desktop and want to use the smartphone to replace my old 16GB ipod, as well. Anyone who made the transfer to Android phones from iOS have any specific thoughts on the transition? I've been perfectly satisfied running itunes and working in a Mac OS environment, so reading that apps are necessary to sync playcounts and the such sounds like it's throwing painful obstacles in the way. And I'm planning to load longer videos from the home desktop rather than do a lot of Netflix-type streaming, so having the iOS integration seems like a plus.

But I'm open. The Galaxy Nexus looks reaaaaaaaaaal fine.

For those of you who have ICS (Headache), is it too amazingly different than Gingerbread? I've seen plenty of videos, but I've only personally checked out the Galaxy Nexus for about 30 seconds.

The reason I ask is becaulse all but one of the devices announced at CES are still running Gingerbread. I guess another way of putting it is should it be called Android 2.4 instead of 4.0?

For those of you who have ICS (Headache), is it too amazingly different than Gingerbread? I've seen plenty of videos, but I've only personally checked out the Galaxy Nexus for about 30 seconds.

The reason I ask is becaulse all but one of the devices announced at CES are still running Gingerbread. I guess another way of putting it is should it be called Android 2.4 instead of 4.0?

yes, it is.

it's so much smoother and more responsive than gingerbread. i haven't even given a thought to installing a custom ROM to the phone because i love ice cream sandwich so much.

google took (almost) all of the great things that the developer community had come up with and incorporated them into 4.0. it's really a fantastic product.

I've had the Nexus for a couple days now (still learning it). It seems like a solid, elegant, well engineered product.

I'll have to figure out how to turn of the notification light (especially overnight), and get rid of a spam app.

I've had the Nexus for a couple days now (still learning it). It seems like a solid, elegant, well engineered product.

I'll have to figure out how to turn of the notification light (especially overnight), and get rid of a spam app.

the notification light doesn't really bother me... but there are apps out there that you can get to adjust it if you don't like the default settings.

one trick i figured out by accident for use at night... if you turn the stock clock app on and use it for your alarm clock... swipe up and down a few times on the screen, and the screen goes black, with just the time showing in a blue font.

I used Light Flow lite for the lights, so those are under control.

Appwise - installed Beautiful Widgets clock/weather on the home page, but the temperature is frequently a few hours old (have to see if there's a setting on that). The SlideIT keyobard looks interesting - may try it out. And want to look into Go Launcher.

instead of SlideIt, get Swype beta. much better.

if you're looking for a good prediction keyboard, go with Swiftkey.

Go Launcher is my personal favorite. I've used LauncherPro extensively, and I've tried to like ADW Launcher, but I just can't deny Go Launcher's awesomeness.

I used Light Flow lite for the lights, so those are under control.

Appwise - installed Beautiful Widgets clock/weather on the home page, but the temperature is frequently a few hours old (have to see if there's a setting on that). The SlideIT keyobard looks interesting - may try it out. And want to look into Go Launcher.

i used beautiful widgets as well... you can set the background update time anywhere from every 15 minutes to once every 16 hours. obviously the more often you set it to refresh the more battery the app uses.

i have mine set up for 12 hours so that it refreshes right before i wake up in the morning, and again around the time i leave work. any other time i want to see the temp i just click on the widget and auto refresh to save battery life.

the RAZR MAXX just came out and apparently has a massive battery included that can last a day and a half on a single charge, which on LTE is kinda amazing, all while still remaining very thin. really hoping samsung puts out an NFC enabled extended battery for my nexus that has similar capabilities.

I think the BW issue was the provider that day - switched to google from accuweather.

Razr Maxx looks interesting - may switch (still in the 14 day period). No ICS though - wish they were more forthcoming with upgrade info.

ntalwar said:
I think the BW issue was the provider that day - switched to google from accuweather.

Razr Maxx looks interesting - may switch (still in the 14 day period). No ICS though - wish they were more forthcoming with upgrade info.

Are there any ICS Roms though? Who needs official ICS when you could get cm9?

https://play.google.com/store

better late, than never

they had been ceding the advantage to apple/ itunes

now if there is a way to get the android os roll out more uniform ( i think there is not, too many hardware suppliers )
Good to see Google getting their app strategy together. Indeed, the greatest argument for Apple devices has not even been the devices, but the variety and size of the App Store itself.

The problem with the Android OS for me at the moment is that it is not as tightly integrated with each handset, and as far as I know cannot be due to the varying hardware Android runs on. The reason iOS feels ''snappier'' for many users is just down to the fact that Apple only has the task of integrating the UI with its native hardware and nothing else. This is why the UI feels ''stickier'' and more responsive on iOS, at least for this power user.

I still think my next smartphone will be an Android device, though.

So i have my low end Virgin Mobile LG Optimus running Ice Cream Sandwich now.

Good stuff. I always say I'm going to upgrade to something high end, but gosh I love the $25/mo plan with unlimited data.

Does anybody have the Galaxy S2 with the official Ice Cream Sandwich update? I just found out my phone (Captivate Glide) is getting the update, and I want to see how Touchwiz is atop of Ice Cream Sandwich. From what I've seen, it looks like a rather extensive overlay...

yeah, i'm glad it's not just me that gets pissed at the upload rate. i prefer Spotify over everything now.

OK folks I'm tired of htc :) should I go with the galaxy s2 or wait for the supposed release of the galaxy nexus on sprint this month?

Justin24 said:
OK folks I'm tired of htc :) should I go with the galaxy s2 or wait for the supposed release of the galaxy nexus on sprint this month?

They're both great, but out of personal preference I'd opt for the S2. It's getting an Ice Cream Sandwich update very soon anyway.

Well I ordered the White Galaxy S2 from Sprint and should be getting it today via Amazon Wireless.

oh neat, just discovered i can take screenshots on the galaxy. i mean, i could on my last phone (desire z), but only if i downloaded software onto a pc to do it. with the galaxy, it works just like an iphone.

now that i have the ability, i'm sure i'll never have a reason to take one. :lol:

oh neat, just discovered i can take screenshots on the galaxy. i mean, i could on my last phone (desire z), but only if i downloaded software onto a pc to do it. with the galaxy, it works just like an iphone.

now that i have the ability, i'm sure i'll never have a reason to take one. :lol:

I have that on my Rezound as well. I really only use it to gloat about weather. :shifty:

yeah, CM9 has that feature built in their ROMs as well. it's pretty awesome having a pretty stable Ice Cream Sandwich rom on my dinky Virgin Mobile phone. :)

Back
Top Bottom