The all-things-tennis thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I woke up to watch that lopsided snore fest.

Well, I've seen matches like that before in the finals. Sometimes you just have to appreciate a superb performance. I'm more of a Nadal fan, but I like Djokovic too. Just would have preferred another epic 5 setter no matter the winner.

Nadal didn't seem to have his legs today. But I suppose Djokovic had something to do with that.

Let's see how Djokovic fares against Nadal at the French Open.

Djokovic is only 5 away from tying Federer's Grand Slam titles record. I wonder if the competition will be strong enough to stop him from doing so.

I fully expect Djokovic to surpass 20 Slams with ease if he stays healthy.

Nadal? Well, the window is closing. His only shot might be to win another 4 French Opens. A tall order even for him.

I just can't bring myself to cheer for him. He's too frustrating.

In what sense? I only ask because, there are some extremely lazy, and quite frankly, racist tropes when it comes to discussing Kyrgios, they're everywhere in Australia. Not accusing you of that at all, it just makes my eyes roll hearing it so often. I adore him.

Thank you. And what about the women's side?

Ash Barty, duh.

In what sense? I only ask because, there are some extremely lazy, and quite frankly, racist tropes when it comes to discussing Kyrgios, they're everywhere in Australia. Not accusing you of that at all, it just makes my eyes roll hearing it so often. I adore him.

Totally fair. From my perspective, I have no idea what those stereotypes or tropes would be. I had to look up his ethnicity on Wiki just now to see if that was possibly what it was.

It's 100% just his attitude. I don't like him for the tanking. He's possibly gotten better at this, but I see one of the most wasted talents in the sport in him. I didn't pay a lot of attention to ATP last year, so maybe he was better. I love a lot of what he does off the court, though. I recall he had some wonderful soundbites last year in regards to COVID, but I may be misremembering.

Very upsetting. But the way Serena played the other night, no one will get close. I'm about ready to say she's the best sportsperson of all time, perhaps even better than our dear Bradman.

I'm rooting for Nadal on the men's side. He'll pass Fed for #1 on the men's grand slam list if we wins. Of the Big 3 in men's tennis the last 15 years, Nadal is my guy, so I'd be happy to see him accomplish that.

I always assume Serena will win on the women's side until she loses.

What this guy said ^^.

I love Serena. I also think she may be (always on a scale or relatives, of course), the greatest athlete of all time. But damn, has it been rough to follow her since the time I got into tennis.

Am I the only Federer fan here?

When he was at his peak, it was such a wonder to watch. He seems the most worthy to me of holding the best-ever title so I'm hoping he's able to win again soon and keep pace with Nadal.

I'd be fine with both of them retiring while tied for the Grand Slam record, as long as that piece of shit Djokovic doesn't catch up.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Federer is the king, by far my favourite player, and easily the best of them all. Tsitsipas' win last night was shocking, as was Serena's comfortable loss today. It is fucking infuriating however how much of the women's games have been played during the day while all the men's finals have been at night. Plenty of sexism in tennis still. Djokovic is a fuckwit, so I hope he loses, Tsitsipas is a bit of a fuckwit as well, so I'd be happy with an all-Russian final, don't know much about the two left, but it would be cool to see a qualifier win it all. As for the women, huge fan of Naomi Osaka, so hope she wins.

Remember though, before getting too angry, even if this is fucked in a different way: Williams vs Osaka was on during prime time in the US. So the scheduling is probably less sexist and more US-centric.

Although that wouldn't explain other women's matches.

So far, Naomi has been boom or bust in grand slams, either winning it all (incredibly impressive for her age) or not even making the quarters. This one looks to be hers to lose, as she's a massive favorite over Jennifer Brady, who has been in a couple of exhausting three set matches the past few days. Naomi has mostly cruised except for that wild match with Muguruza.

Am I the only Federer fan here?

When he was at his peak, it was such a wonder to watch. He seems the most worthy to me of holding the best-ever title so I'm hoping he's able to win again soon and keep pace with Nadal.

I'd be fine with both of them retiring while tied for the Grand Slam record, as long as that piece of shit Djokovic doesn't catch up.

Federer fan here. I lived in Switzerland in 2001 when he was starting, then from 2004-9 when he was at his peak. Hated Nadal then, but I find him ok now. Djoko is a COVID-denying nationalist.

You'd be hard-pressed to name a better sportsperson than Naomi Osaka. Not only is she great at tennis, and a diverse role model, but she's an incredibly wonderful human being. Legend.

Only dropped one set the entire tournament. That's 21 straight wins for her.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom