The 2014 AFL Thread with Wankard and Big Mummy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At like 1am, it's actually a pretty neat game, very past paced too and since you can't really tackle it goes end-to-end effortlessly. And of course, the fact that it's an amateur competition is pretty impressive too.

Gutted. He will be sorely missed. His body clearly wasn't going to hold up much longer though.

I'd like to see it as well, but it's not going to happen. I think Smorgon's rationale for the name change was spot on, and because there's no other teams in the Western Suburbs, that's why they went for Western Bulldogs. It's a team to represent the west, not just Footscray. Exact same reason we have GWS and not the Blacktown Giants.

All I can say is to be thankful that you don't have involuntary exposure to Rucci.

I'd like to see it as well, but it's not going to happen. I think Smorgon's rationale for the name change was spot on, and because there's no other teams in the Western Suburbs, that's why they went for Western Bulldogs. It's a team to represent the west, not just Footscray. Exact same reason we have GWS and not the Blacktown Giants.

I think the article already countered this by pointing out the Southern Saints example. And couldn't they have at least gone for "Western Melbourne" or "Western Victoria" rather than a lonely adjective that can't even stand by itself?

And the fact the Hawks are called Hawthorn rather than "Some Eastern Melbourne Suburbs and Northern Tasmania" doesn't seem to have hurt them in Launceston. Was there really anybody in Sunbury, Laverton, Newport, Sunshine, or wherever whose decision to barrack for the Dogs was based purely on whether they were called Footscray or "Western"? I very much doubt anybody was going "fuck Footscray!" and then suddenly jumped on board when they changed their name, or would get off if there were a reversion. Promotion and community engagement, not the name, is what matters - the Dogs' claim to represent all western suburbs need not have involved a name change.

Essendon's defense really fell off in the last few minutes. Geelong took advantage of some pretty severe gaffes. Who was the idiot for Geelong that watched the footy roll in for a behind without putting any effort into picking it up? Score a goal there instead and it's basically over. That could have cost them the game if Essendon had run it back for a goal once they had control of the footy.

Last edited:
Stupid fucking football team.

(Actually I didn't expect us to get within fifty, so that was a pretty good effort really, especially after a shocking first half good god.)

Really fucking enjoyed that win, despite how terribly we played for a quarter and a half. Motlop's goals were amazing, and those, along with Hawkins' sealer, got me up and excited for the first time in a while, so that was great.

Kudos to the Bombers though. That would have been a hell of a win, and boy, you probably should have taken it after Duncan's inexcusable fumble.

I blame myself. Our best play all came while I was away from a telly. I was walking home from Sydney Road during that third quarter comeback. I should've just kept walking.

Final quarter in the Western Derby looks like it was a real cracker.

Disappointed that Hawthorn beat the hell out of Gold Coast. Considering the Hawks scored 18 more times than the Suns, the score is in no way representative of how bad that game was.

The umpire uniforms are for a charity of some description.

And oh god, Heath Shaw, sickening collision into Kurt Tippett's knee.

Anyone know why the umpires are wearing blue this week? Did they finally revolt against that disgusting vomit-green?

It's for the One Sight foundation. Rasing awareness for avoidable vision loss.

It's still ironic that the umpires are sponsored by OPSM in the first place. :wink:

Can't believe Brisbane have somehow got in front of North Melbourne. They looked completely lost in the first quarter.

This is a stunning turn-around by Brisbane, and you can practically see Brad Scott losing year after year off his life.

I had no idea Brisbane could even kick seven goals in a quarter. That was like a different team. Green was absolutely on fire.

It's for the One Sight foundation. Rasing awareness for avoidable vision loss.

It's still ironic that the umpires are sponsored by OPSM in the first place. :wink:

:up:

And yes, I find that amusing!

I wasn't sure about tipping North (is anyone?), but I'm far less sure now. Brisbane had to pull their fingers out eventually...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom