that one lyric/line that hit home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SOOO many!!! For me, "it's just a moment-this time will pass" had a real impact on the direction of my life. Other lyrics from U2 songs also changed my way of thinking : Please, Acrobat, "40", Walk On................:love:

BluRmGrl said:
Like everyone else, I find so many lyrics inspiring and/or comforting, but the one that always comes to mind first for me is from Acrobat: "Don't the bastards grind you down." :up:

Yeah, I've always liked that lyric as well. It's kinda like people are getting you down, life is getting you down. No one can fix it but you, don't let the bastards grind you down. They try to get you down, don't let them. I love that line.

Stuck in a Moment has helped me greatly - I was going through a real bad mood in early October just before Bathurst - something I'd normally be excited about. I put Stuck on, and listened to the lyrics - and they helped. Especially the last verse.

And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
If your way should falter
Along that stony pass
It's just a moment
This time will pass

Kite is probably the big one for me though. My Grandfather died last year, and this was the first song I listened to and I dedicated it to him at his funeral. The chorus speaks to me in big ways.

Like many of you I also have many lines that speak particularly to me at different times. The current lines that I can’t get out of my head are:
One day you'll look back, and you'll see Where you were held now by this love. While you could stand there, You could move on this moment Follow this feeling
from Mysterious Ways.

I had a fairly rough childhood and adolescence and looking back now I probably shouldn’t still be around. This summer the thought came to me that maybe I had not survived my teenage years (which is the way I had always thought of it) but that I was brought through it. It’s like the whole corny “footprints in the sand” poem thing, but it made me think of those lines.

It also makes me more aware to look around for where I may be being held by Love now.

Last edited:
nightninja56 said:
when i realized what U2 and Bono's faith was really like

His Love is like a drop in the ocean
-Yahweh

that line is so true...

I’m not sure I understand that line

For me:
a secret is something you tell one other person/It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success - The Fly -

a woman needs a man/Like a fish needs a bicycle - Tryin' to throw your arms....

Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die - Crumbs from Your Table

pattip2000 said:

I’m not sure I understand that line

My interpretation: God's love is so vast and infinite, what we experience is just a drop in the ocean.

I forgot my other favorite: Hey Hey, Sha-La-La. Its so true.
(Sorry, everyone's been so serious...)

Thanks Beverly56! There were more than one of us that did not get that line in Yahweh!:wink:

This has been a really fun thread to read. It's a slightly different take on the favorite lyric question and in a lot of ways is more enlightening.

For me, it will always be Running to Stand Still. For the moments when I'm screaming and crying internally, but the world around me hasn't a clue:

You gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice.

That's the ultimate one, that always hits home. Others that come close include Stuck in a Moment, which is the basic song to get me out of a funk. When I'm not in a funk, it feels cheesy and over the top. But when I am . . . it works, and that's makes it powerful. I'm particularly fond of:

I'm just trying to find a decent melody
A song that I can sing in my own company

For every day life, I'm always in awe of the prayer that is Yahweh:

Take this mouth
So quick to criticise
Take this mouth
Give it a kiss

(Not to mention All Because of You. It took me *way* too long to figure out that it can be heard as a prayer, too. Considering almost every U2 song has some element of prayer to it, you wouldn't think I'd be that dense.)

I going to endeavor teaching this to my children to become independent!

"and a women needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"

Song: Tryin' to throw your arms around the world

people here at interference are fantastic - I can't stress enough the quality of the feedback I get to the threads I've started.

blindinglights -
indeed, your perspective on zooropa's added another dimension to the song for moi! Grazi mademoiselle.

mickey said:
Grazi mademoiselle.

Why thank you... What exactly does 'Grazi mademoiselle' mean? :reject: :shifty:

--------------------

Indeed, this thread is great!

--------------------

The lyrics that have really hit me lately are from Summer Rain, the very beginning and the very end:

"When you stop seeing beauty
You start growing old
The lines on your face
Are a map to your soul

When you stop taking chances
You'll stay where you sit
You won't live any longer
But it'll feel like it

I lost myself in the summer rain
I lost myself
I lost myself in the summer rain
In the summer rain...

It's not why you're running
It's where you're going
It's not what you're dreaming
But what you're gonna do

It's not where you're born
It's where you belong
It's not how weak
But what will make you strong"

I'm just at a place in my life where those lyrics provide a lot of comfort. We can all 'lose ourselves' at times. The lyrics to me are kind of a testimony of life and how our perceptions of life can be distorted. For example, we worry about how weak we are instead of trying to find what will ultimately make things better, what will make us strong. And musically, I love the part toward the end of the song, "Rainin down. It's rainin down. Rainin now. Rainin now." Just makes me wanna cry every time.

another coincidence – recently I discovered “summer wine” myself and have taken quite a liking to it. perchance, have you seen the Bono + Corrs video? If not, then check it out at www.youtube.com, it’s an exceptional duet. All you need to do is run a corrs search on the site and locate the video.

wait, strike the above – I’m going on about a different song altogether. “summer rain” is one that I haven’t heard before. I just did a search and it’s by…….U2! (erm….ah….um, this an embarrassing turn of events)

Oh, by the how:
grazie = thank you (Italian)
mademoiselle = honorific (French). akin to ma’am

i can tell you’re the type that is drawn to lyrics – I’ve been using the above wordplay for sometime now, and you are but the third person who has asked for an explanation. I find French & Italian, when rolling off one’s tongue, lend remarkable grace to the most ordinary string of words.

adieu/till the next installment

Last edited:
"So the hands that build, can also pull down...even the hands of love" That line is just so true (and the whole Exit lyrics is awesome)

"If you wanna kiss the sky better learn how to kneel"-also brilliant

"True colours fly in blue and black
Bruised silken sky and burning flag
Colours crash, collide in blood-shot eyes" my favourite

mickey said:
another coincidence – recently I discovered “summer wine” myself and have taken quite a liking to it. perchance, have you seen the Bono + Corrs video? If not, then check it out at www.youtube.com, it’s an exceptional duet. All you need to do is run a corrs search on the site and locate the video.

wait, strike the above – I’m going on about a different song altogether. “summer rain” is one that I haven’t heard before. I just did a search and it’s by…….U2! (erm….ah….um, this an embarrassing turn of events)

:lmao:

I have the Summer Wine video somewhere on my computer... I'll have to go watch it now :hyper:

----------

oooh yes, Staring at the Sun...
lyrically brilliant.

BluRmGrl said:
Like everyone else, I find so many lyrics inspiring and/or comforting, but the one that always comes to mind first for me is from Acrobat: "Don't the bastards grind you down." :up:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :up:

That is one of the best lines written. The lyric that i say to myself every day.

It's my favorite, the song is one of my favorites.

"When you stop seeing beauty, you start growing old - the lines on your face are a map to your soul." -philosophical lyrics, very true, inspires me to always try and see the best in things/people!

"They say a secret is something, you tell one other person", " it's no secret that a liar wont believe anyone else", every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief - all kill their inspiration and sing about their grief!" -honest observations!!

"i am not afraid of anything in this world, theres nothing u can throw at me that i haven't already heard", - this line makes you realize that whatever negativity is said about u, its an insult only if its taken as one!

"and if your way should falter, its just a moment, this time will pass!" - this song helps me cope with bad days, it really does.

when i look at the world - the whole song!

'i know it aches, how your heart it breaks, walk on, u've got to leave it behind..." lovely. just lovely.

"there is a silence that comes to our house where no one can sleep, I guess that's the price of love, I know it's not cheap...."

PERFECTLY captured my marriage falling apart.

achtungjulie said:
i think mine would be from 'ultraviolet':

there is a silence that comes to a house where no one can sleep/i guess it's the price of love/i know it's not cheap

almost every time i hear that, i get a bit teary-eyed. it just reminds me of everything bad in my home life, but it always ends up being cathartic to hear bono sing those lines.

:up:

"Home...hard to know what it is if you've never had one. Home... I can't say where it is, but i know i'm going home..."

^Walk On is loaded with good ones. Please is also another good one. The line that stood out in Please for me was - " So you never knew what was on the ground til they made you crawl.."

Hot Bono said:
"Home...hard to know what it is if you've never had one. Home... I can't say where it is, but i know i'm going home..."

That has to be one of the sadest lyrics. I know they have a lot of sad and melancholic lyrics, wich are usually the most well written. But this one really hits me, because when you feel bad and miserable the only thing that can make you feel better is a home (not a house, a real home). If you don't have one, it's just depressing.

annie_vox said:

That has to be one of the sadest lyrics. I know they have a lot of sad and melancholic lyrics, wich are usually the most well written. But this one really hits me, because when you feel bad and miserable the only thing that can make you feel better is a home (not a house, a real home). If you don't have one, it's just depressing.

yep... but even so, this song was very uplifting, even though i never felt like i had a home my entire life... now, that i've finally found one, this song and this lyric mean so much to me...

Back
Top Bottom