Tea, South Dakota Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:
hey whore. i'll still be gone for the summer but my africa plans fell through this week so i'll probably be with full internet access learning french in europe, ready to compete, next year.

in fact funny fucking story. i'm looking for an au pair job. i'm also in a class on central africa where we read a book by an explorer today that was in some ways a self-charicature and certainly was packed with tropes/stereotypes of africa, the african traveller, white people in africa, etc. so the professor mentions this book about a few women who went to Africa to save rhinos (wtf) and how each chapter of the book is "we went to a village. we told them about our project. the people loved us. we loved the people. etc etc." so i get an email about an au pair position in germany (not what i'm looking for really) and they say "we are two families with very interesting pasts - mother1 and mother2 spent 3 years in africa saving rhinos." i fucking wet my pants laughing.

I've never heard of a better real-life example of something that would happen in a Seinfeld episode. Great story.

phillyfan26 said:
I think I've discussed before that I write as I speak. So, every once in a while, I'll type a word like "one" instead of "won," despite knowing the difference, just because they sound the same. I often will type the way I say something too, even if it's weird (i.e.: cuttin' the "g" off the end of "-ing" words).

I try to avoid it usually, and usually succeed if I'm concentrating. But when I type fast, sometimes I miss things.

(Example: This isn't even a word, but when I first typed "every once" above, it was written as "everyones in a while.")

I'm just thankful that you aren't one of those idiotic write-as-you-speak people who types "would of" instead of "would've/would have".

Personally, I'm probably more a speak-as-I-write sort. So sometimes that means that I turn acronyms into words - just ask Ali or Daniel, I've spoken about U2 songs such as "asoh", "aiwiy", and "wowy" to them. And some words that I sometimes pronounce differently in my head to the way they should be pronounced and use more frequently in writing than speech, I fuck up when I speak. The best example of that is "hyperbole".

Axver said:
I'm just thankful that you aren't one of those idiotic write-as-you-speak people who types "would of" instead of "would've/would have".

Personally, I'm probably more a speak-as-I-write sort. So sometimes that means that I turn acronyms into words - just ask Ali or Daniel, I've spoken about U2 songs such as "asoh", "aiwiy", and "wowy" to them. And some words that I sometimes pronounce differently in my head to the way they should be pronounced and use more frequently in writing than speech, I fuck up when I speak. The best example of that is "hyperbole".

Yeah, speaking is sort of my profession, so I get used to it. There's some fucking weird names out there. Since my main job is saying people's names, I'm a bit of a study when it comes pronunciation. There was one name a few years back that was the most complex last name I've ever seen, and it's a shame I can't recall the name. It started with two A's and had about 16 letters, all one word.

Holy shit it's cold. 9C. And that may not be cold to some of you right now, but when it was fucking 40C just two weeks ago, you feel it. Doesn't help that I left a couple of windows open all night.

I like the cold, but after all of our heat, I've got to get used to it!

Knowing Melbourne, it'll probably be 35 again in a week. :|

Our weather today was gorgeous considering spring has just started. It was 61F (converts it in head), which is I guess about 16C.

phillyfan26 said:
Yeah, speaking is sort of my profession, so I get used to it. There's some fucking weird names out there. Since my main job is saying people's names, I'm a bit of a study when it comes pronunciation. There was one name a few years back that was the most complex last name I've ever seen, and it's a shame I can't recall the name. It started with two A's and had about 16 letters, all one word.

Ha, what an awesome name.

As I've debated less and less over the last few years, I've noticed my speak-as-I-write side has become a bit more dominant. I'd say when I was 17, things were fairly in balance, but since then, I've been doing lots and lots of writing and it's shown.

Axver said:
Ha, what an awesome name.

As I've debated less and less over the last few years, I've noticed my speak-as-I-write side has become a bit more dominant. I'd say when I was 17, things were fairly in balance, but since then, I've been doing lots and lots of writing and it's shown.

I've been doing more writing online like this thanks to you guys, but the only reason I've even joined here is to interact with people! So, in my normal life, I'm always looking to hang out with people. When I'm not, I'm here, still with people. I'm like the textbook case of a 21st century extrovert.

phillyfan26 said:

I've been doing more writing online like this thanks to you guys, but the only reason I've even joined here is to interact with people! So, in my normal life, I'm always looking to hang out with people. When I'm not, I'm here, still with people. I'm like the textbook case of a 21st century extrovert.

In contrast, I'm the textbook case of an 19th century introvert stuck in the 21st century. Or something.

Actually, I think I've been doing a good job at being social lately.

Axver said:

In contrast, I'm the textbook case of an 19th century introvert stuck in the 21st century. Or something.

Actually, I think I've been doing a good job at being social lately.

You have, which has disappointed the postwhoring threads to no end, you epic phailure.

phillyfan26 said:

You have, which has disappointed the postwhoring threads to no end, you epic phailure.

I think it's just that you lot need to up your effort a bit. I can't carry the team all the time. :tsk:

I may just be going out over the weekend too ...

Oh, fuck you.

My reliability has been consistent: relatively regular, pretty good on non-school nights (I was up till 3 AM one night for this).

We don't have these problems when the Aussie crew's around in the evening. :tsk:

You outnumber us. It's really just me, Vazza, and Andrew, and Andrew's been busy lately, and Vazza has a social life unmatched by any of us, and I've school 8 hours a day.

It's numbers, André. It's allllllllllll numbers.

phillyfan26 said:

We Americans are about quality, not quantity. Only the best make it here.

You haven't been producing much of either in this thread. :tsk:

Axver said:
Holy shit it's cold. 9C. And that may not be cold to some of you right now, but when it was fucking 40C just two weeks ago, you feel it. Doesn't help that I left a couple of windows open all night.

I like the cold, but after all of our heat, I've got to get used to it!

Knowing Melbourne, it'll probably be 35 again in a week. :|

it's freakin freezing here, I'm going to buy some slippers later

phillyfan26 said:

We wouldn't be if Axver would live up to his massive postwhoring ego.

It's all your fault. When I went train-hunting for ... shit, nine hours yesterday, I expected some of you to pick up the slack while I was gone. You didn't. Epic phailure, guys. :down:

Axver said:

It's all your fault. When I went train-hunting for ... shit, nine hours yesterday, I expected some of you to pick up the slack while I was gone. You didn't. Epic phailure, guys. :down:

:reject:
I had yesterday off as well but was too busy sitting in the Dr's waiting room for an hour then traipsing around the shops waiting for a prescription. Oh and watching telly and stuff :wink:

cinnaminson said:

it's freakin freezing here, I'm going to buy some slippers later

I put on socks and found that made my feet warm enough. But a little bit colder and it'll be slippers weather.

phillyfan26 said:

They can't all be winners. I blame South Dakota.

Vazza made a comment early on in the thread about nothing happening in South Dakota that has proved to be rather prophetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom