Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would we say about a person who gripes that the team that won the basketball championship isn't really all that good?

Who would suggest that the winner of the Super Bowl just "got lucky."

In no other game would we suggest that the winner (much less a two-time winner) is completely undeserving.

Yet, in Survivor we do it all the time.

Perhaps it's because we can't agree on what the game is about. It's pretty clear what it means to be a good basketball or football player--but even then those skills gain their value because they lead to winning. Who hasn't seen a basketball player in a pick up game who is all flash and dazzle but doesn't actually score much? In the end, the ability to win is ultimately what makes someone a good player.

So what do the great players of Survivor have? What are the winning qualities? I would suggest an ability to keep a clear head--to stay focused on the goal. All the best players have not let emotion cloud their judgement. Sandra tried her hardest to get Russell out--but only to the extent that it wouldn't come back to bite her. As much as she couldn't stand him, she stuck with him--until she didn't need to any more. The best players are flexible--they change their approach to the game as the circumstances around them change. The best players know how to work with people--at best they can get others to do what they want, and at the very least they can at least keep them looking at someone else when tribal council comes around. Winning challenges? Challenges are only important as a means to an end--they're sole purpose is to increase your odds of staying in the game. If you can stay in the game without winning them, than so much the better. This isn't the Olympics--you don't win the money for being the best athelete. It's outwit, outplay, outlast--not outmuscle.

Overall, I felt Pavarti was the best player, but I do not in any way feel that Sandra was undeserving. She wisely played her oppositon to Russell to the jury. I think she could read their mood, and new that distancing herself from Russell was to her advantage.

Russell's game has a short shelf life. His kind of scorched earth play only works when no one knows who he is. If they ever invite him back, I think it's unlikely he'll be able to get away with playing the kind of game he did these past two seasons.

Russell's got his story and he's sticking to it.

To me it does reveal his (not the game's) fatal flaw--both Sandra and Parvarti seemed to be able to take a step back and analyze the game objectively. Russell can't seem to do that. If you can't step back and see "here's what I'm doing well, here's what's working, here's what's not working, here's what others are doing well" that creates a huge blind spot. He's started with the assumption that he's the greatest player ever and then spends the rest of the time trying to make the facts line up with that that assumption.

How in the world do they even know all that.

The survivors leak it to people. I asked and someone said Russell spoiled the last two seasons. Though I dont know if they're bullshitting me or not. I suppose any of the producers, staff, survivors could tell just 1 person and it goes from there..

Yeah it's people who work on the sets and production teams that leak stuff too. Like Sicy says all it takes is for one person to say one thing to another person and it spreads like wildfire (and can snowball out of control too).

I agree with Sean, and he said it better than I could, re: Sandra winning.

I do think it's a bit unfair to Russell that he played twice before he really understood how the end works...but I don't think he'd change. But then again, it should have been pretty obvious as the jury formed that it was going to be a jury of mostly "heroes", and most of them would value a straight game over the other style (call it strategic or "social game" or scumbagging depending on your point of view).

I actually thought Parvati deserved to win, she played strategically without Russ' abrasiveness, and I think that's the right balance. I was also impressed with her performance in challenges. And I actually thought she would win, until I started hearing comments about how she "rode Russ' coattails", which I thought was off-base. And when Rupert said what he did about Sandra repeatedly trying to reach out to the Heroes I started thinking Sandra would win.

That's his bad for not watching previous seasons.

Well, I meant how it would work for him. You know, if he'd been able to finish his season and reunion before doing H vs. V. Though somehow I doubt it would change anything; I kind of think he is who he is.

Call me a fanboy but I really like the "all star" type shows. I suppose it does get old when you start seeing people for a 3rd time, and I could have done without seeing half of the people from HvV again, but I could definitely get into seeing Russ, Rob, Coach, Parv...even goofy Rupert again.

I thought Coach was such a dick and now I like him after the changes in him this season and how cool he's been communicating with Sicy! But on the other hand in the beginning I liked Russell cuz I thought he'd be a good player floating under the radar what with him not wanting to reveal too much about himself then he turned out as time passed to be a Devil. Now I think he's such a dick.

Do keep us posted on any Coach communication, Sicy!

No problem.

So Survivor is going to be switched back to Wednesdays. It aired on Wednesdays Season 1 and its been Thursdays ever since. That is going to be WEIRD.

No problem.

So Survivor is going to be switched back to Wednesdays. It aired on Wednesdays Season 1 and its been Thursdays ever since. That is going to be WEIRD.

That's better for me, I watch a bunch of (FOX) stuff on Thursdays but only Criminal Minds on Wednesdays.

I was away for the weekend, so I had to wait until Tuesday to catch the finale. In short, I'm glad Sandra won. I think Par VD should have won, though. She played a better game than the other finalists. As for Russell, well the guy shit on everyone on the show, why should he be surprised that he didn't win?

I agree with Jeff when he said that this could possibly be the best edition of Survivor in the show's history. Every episode was pretty much awesome. I also agree with Sicy, when she said they should only have a Final Two at the end. 3 sucks.

What do you all make of Jeff's comment on his blog about the "next two seasons." Is that all he is planning to do?

I'm praying there will be more than 2 more seasons. I'm assuming that because as of right now he's only confirmed for the next 2, so maybe he just doesn't want to get ahead of himself.

I can, and I sure hope his departure (if it is soon) doesn't mean the end of the show. I love him, but he can be replaced.

I can not see Survivor without Jeff.

I agree, hard to imagine.
I can, and I sure hope his departure (if it is soon) doesn't mean the end of the show. I love him, but he can be replaced.

I think you are right, they would need to do a real good job choosing them.

I imagine there has been someone working closely with Jeff all these years.
(that has not murdered his wife) If that person can past a screen test, he/she could be a good pick.

Also, perhaps one of the Survivors, that has some charisma and a good temperament would be a good fit. I can't think of anyone now.

They could do some screen testing on them, too.

(We could send them an auditon tape of Sicy on the dance floor
and the one of the Tribal Cousel she did where Zoey votes her out!)

Jeff was starting to lose interest around Survivor: Vanuatu before coming to the conclusion not too long after that he's meant to host the show indefinitely. As of right now, CBS is only going to renew it on a yearly basis, but it shouldn't really face any problems. The rest of CBS's lineup took a big enough hit comparatively that Survivor looks even better than it did last year. It was their highest rated show on Thursday nights and one of their highest rated overall. Factor in the cheaper production costs and it would be unfathomable for it not to return in the Fall 2011 season.

I'm kind of annoyed that CBS's own news site is reporting that Season 22 is going to be in Nicaragua also...argh. Please, no more returning contestants. Next All Stars should be Season 26 and feature the most interesting contestants from the previous five. There is no reason that we should ever see a contestant from the first 20 seasons again.

Yeah, I'd say that Russell's time has passed. He's been very entertaining the last 2 seasons, but it's time for him to end his Survivor run. Maybe some niche cable channel will give him his own show.

I'm kind of annoyed that CBS's own news site is reporting that Season 22 is going to be in Nicaragua also...argh. Please, no more returning contestants. Next All Stars should be Season 26 and feature the most interesting contestants from the previous five. There is no reason that we should ever see a contestant from the first 20 seasons again.

I agree with this. Some of these reality and contest shows get so old when it seems the same "celebrities" keep returning for the reunion and All Star type seasons. This is especially true with the MTV shows. I like the idea of them only going back 5 seasons and maybe, just maybe a special All Stars every 10 or 20 if the show is that popular and lasts that long. Sometimes it is fun to see some of the old contestants return.

I really hope Jeff Probst stays with Survivor. Myself included, there are an awful lot of fans who watch the show because we are Jeff Probst fans. I don't think I would be as big a fan of Survivor with ANYONE else hosting the show. Long live the show and I hope they are smart to keep Jeff around!

Just watched last night finally.
Russell getting zero votes is quite funny.
Pavarti probably did more to deserve the win than Sandra, but Sandra played it very well with the jury at final TC and I think that got her the nod.
I've commented every reunion show about how the women are way too made up and have looked better on the island than in studio. Although Pavarti looked quite good at the reunion. Jerri...kind of scary.
And I keep praying for a tie when they do a final 3 (Hoped maybe Russell would manage 1 vote this time and we might get a 4-4 tie with Pavarti and Sandra), cause I want to see how they would resolve it, and I think it would put an end to the final 3 for good.

Back
Top Bottom