Staring @sun LIVE question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that they tried to perform it live a few times as a band on the Popmart tour, apparently without success... not really sure why though. I play in a U2 tribute myself, we play that song as a full band, sequences and all, and it works pretty well. A bit of speculation follows: The band were widely reported as being under rehearsed at the start of that tour because they were still trying to get the record out of the door right up to the start of the tour so perhaps they decided to make this one acoustic because it allowed them to keep the song in the set but not to have to play it as a band, that way they could cut the number of songs they had to work on by one. Just a guess there...

Mick

From www.atu2.com

April 25, 1997 "..the band is forced to stop and restart "Staring At The Sun" after beginning it off-key...."

May 14, 1997 "...During a concert in Memphis, U2 continue to have trouble playing their current single, "Staring at the Sun" -- Bono begins singing off-key and immediately stops the song, grabs an acoustic guitar, and after he finds the right key, the band begins the song again. .."

From the boots I have listened to, Bono may have had trouble keeping the rhythm of the acoustic guitar part and singing at the same time...I don't think they used a sequence or click-track for this song and they probably should have tried this as it would have filled in the sound and kept the timing right. I wouldn't recommend this for every song but the studio version of SATS is fairly electronic in nature so they should have tried this.

...and Gragravar is right - they were underrehearsed and this may have been an easy way out.

Gone and Mofo didn't sound great on the 1st leg but they worked on them and by the end of the 2nd leg and for the entire 3rd leg they absolutely rocked!!

"Do you Feel Loved" is another song U2 eventually abandoned in the popmart shows which is unfortunate as it had alot of potential...

..by the way - Gragravar is also wrong - his band doesn't play SATS very well - hopefully they will get the hang of it soon though... :)

Cheers,

Brady

A bit of background... Brady is also in the same band as me... he is perpetually convinced we don't play SATS well. God knows why, it sounds great to me. Actually there are one or two other songs he is convinced we play brilliantly that I think are a bit iffy so perhaps it all depends where you are standing that night. :)

Mick

why don't you post an mp3 of you guys playing it and we'll decide?:wink:

Well, we had another go at SATS on Friday, it sounded fine (again), even Brady agreed it sounded good after the show for once. I remember it took us about five goes over maybe three weeks at Gone before it sounded right and SATS gets played around once every eight shows (i.e. about once a month) so I suppose some run-in time is inevitable... we don't have a recording of SATS yet and in fact probably won't bother to record it since there is limited space on our website and there are many other better known songs vying for a place on it.

I didn't reply to the question to draw attention to my and Brady's band since there is quite enough of that sort of thing in the Gatherings forum already and I don't want to be accused of hijacking this thread/forum etc... However, since you ask, Woodworm, the band is Elevation (known in these forums as Elevation Canada) and our website is www.u2tributeband.com. You can have a look/listen at the videos there if you want to see how we handle U2 material. End of self-serving plug...

Cheers

Mick

I will definately check it out!!
And handled in the proper manner, is not hijacking at all...You have to spread the word to like minds somehow...
Check out my original group! (www.saintazimuth.com)

PEACE!:wink:

Sounds good!
Being a U2 tribute band though, you really should offer some QT movies for the Mac...Seeing as Bono spoke at the Apple Keynote, there's a U2/Apple TV commercial, and of course U2 use the Mac exclusivly, along with every other Autobot-Rebel Spy out to fight the good fight!! GO APPLE!!!(Sorry, had to do that!!)
Oh, and do you guys do the MacPhisto--Zooropa thing??
---Wormwood

Hello Wormwood,

Glad you liked the site. Re: Apple etc... you may be right but I'm not involved in that particular aspect of the web site... to be honest I'm delighted that our web guy does such a good job no matter the format of the files.

Yes, we do sometimes put on a complete Zoo TV show, complete with MacPhisto in the encore. We do the same thing for every era from Blood Red Sky and onwards.

Cheers

Mick

Back
Top Bottom