SPOILERS U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thrilled they have rehearsed Gloria. Really did not expect that to be in the mix.

All Because of You, though? Of all the songs they could possibly revisit? A single that tried and failed to build on Vertigo's momentum and disappeared before the end of its debut tour with barely anyone to mourn its absence?

How on earth you'd think to revive that rather than Please or Love Is Blindness or Wire or whatever other rarity is just beyond me.

It charted well in the UK and Canada, but that's all I got. Maybe it's just a straightforward rock song that is easy to whip out? Maybe Edge randomly heard it on the radio and so he remembered it existed?

Maybe they like ABOY because it is so short and therefore keeps the show short (after all, they couldn't possibly exceed anyone's expectations on this front, could they). I would guess also that it being easy to play is also attractive for them.

Well, this is shaping up to be, gasp...not spectacular. Of course, who knows? Of all the Bomb songs to revisit, you'd think Love and Peace or Else would make some sense, it actually worked well coming after Bullet and then going into SBS on the Vertigo Tour. I imagine preachy/political Bono will be the mode of choice, unfortunately American Soul will cover that and daily, oh the horror.

Please would be tremendous to bring out or Gone or literally anything from Pop since it was ignored last year, my goodness...another shocker.

Who knows? Maybe they'll play Book of Your Heart for the entire leg of the tour. They did play Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom at a few gigs, and while the latter is especially killer, I guess they never quite nailed it live.

I imagine Walk On will never be played live again due to the recent Aung San Suu Kyi events, but not sure that would work or if anyone really wants it.

I don't really mind them leaning on the SOI/SOE material as this is a continuation of that tour and I sadly missed them on the I&E tour and they generally play a decent number of new songs, which can be rare for an older rock act.

No Streets would be bold, but with these tickets prices, I can't see them completely ignoring TJT, but I'd be kinda surprised and impressed if they don't play a single track from that album.

Who knows? Maybe they'll play Book of Your Heart for the entire leg of the tour. They did play Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom at a few gigs, and while the latter is especially killer, I guess they never quite nailed it live.
Nope, not gonna happen I'm afraid (would love it though!). Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom are both great songs. Played a few times in the US. No reaction from the audience, hence it was buried in the graveyard of great U2 songs. I don't understand why they test material in the US and then never give it a chance in Europe. The reaction would sometimes be quite different... The audience is different. Sucks for us. I would have loved to hear those two songs live.
I don't really mind them leaning on the SOI/SOE material as this is a continuation of that tour and I sadly missed them on the I&E tour and they generally play a decent number of new songs, which can be rare for an older rock act.
Yep, agree, but they should play different SOI songs, at least partly. I agree that RBW works in telling the Dublin story, so I get why they keep that song. But Iris and SFS? Those can be changed. If they want to tell the mom story, they could play Lemon as well. Heck, that would make a few fans happy. I'd even take Iris if that's the price to get lemon ;)

All Because of You, though? Of all the songs they could possibly revisit? A single that tried and failed to build on Vertigo's momentum and disappeared before the end of its debut tour with barely anyone to mourn its absence?

I thought Miracle Drug was an odder choice myself a few years ago, but even that only got a few airings overall.

All Because of You was one of the songs that stood out a bit more during my first U2 show though, so I don't remember it being anything terrible. But that was just me.

Nope, not gonna happen I'm afraid (would love it though!). Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom are both great songs. Played a few times in the US. No reaction from the audience, hence it was buried in the graveyard of great U2 songs. I don't understand why they test material in the US and then never give it a chance in Europe. The reaction would sometimes be quite different... The audience is different. Sucks for us. I would have loved to hear those two songs live.

I was at one of the two shows they played The Crystal Ballroom at. I didn't mind it, but it was a bit on the "meh" side for me. I could take it or leave it, but I can see why it was never played consistently.

Well, this is shaping up to be, gasp...not spectacular. Of course, who knows? Of all the Bomb songs to revisit, you'd think Love and Peace or Else would make some sense, it actually worked well coming after Bullet and then going into SBS on the Vertigo Tour. I imagine preachy/political Bono will be the mode of choice, unfortunately American Soul will cover that and daily, oh the horror.

Please would be tremendous to bring out or Gone or literally anything from Pop since it was ignored last year, my goodness...another shocker.

I imagine Walk On will never be played live again due to the recent Aung San Suu Kyi events, but not sure that would work or if anyone really wants it.

No Streets would be bold, but with these tickets prices, I can't see them completely ignoring TJT, but I'd be kinda surprised and impressed if they don't play a single track from that album.

Bullet came after Sunday Bloody Sunday on the Vertigo Tour, not before Love and Peace or Else.

Love and Peace
Bono drumming like a loony
Sunday
Bullet f/ neutered solo
Running to stand still / Miss Sarajevo
Weird fog human rights face thing
Pride
Worst Streets ever

Love and Peace is also a dreadful song that was made better live... so there's hope for American Soul, which is a better song (refujesus aside) than Love and Peace (and would probably get less hate if not for the baffling recycling of parts of the worst i/e song)

Worst Streets ever

100% agree

[/QUOTE] Love and Peace is also a dreadful song that was made better live... so there's hope for American Soul, which is a better song (refujesus aside) than Love and Peace (and would probably get less hate if not for the baffling recycling of parts of the worst i/e song)[/QUOTE]

I would guess I’m one of the few around here that think Love and Peace is an awesome song. It was also done right Live and I think would have made a great opening ala what they did in one of their Boston shows (I think).

100% agree
Love and Peace is also a dreadful song that was made better live... so there's hope for American Soul, which is a better song (refujesus aside) than Love and Peace (and would probably get less hate if not for the baffling recycling of parts of the worst i/e song)[/QUOTE]

I would guess I’m one of the few around here that think Love and Peace is an awesome song. It was also done right Live and I think would have made a great opening ala what they did in one of their Boston shows (I think).[/QUOTE]Vertigo Tour was strange in that it took two of the best live tracks they have in Streets and Bullet and made them both a giant MEH at best, and the tour was still pretty damn good.

Which is why it's way too early to get all pissy and want to burn GA tickets because of a rehearsal setlist. Give em a few shows first.

Love and Peace is also a dreadful song that was made better live... so there's hope for American Soul, which is a better song (refujesus aside) than Love and Peace (and would probably get less hate if not for the baffling recycling of parts of the worst i/e song)

I would guess I’m one of the few around here that think Love and Peace is an awesome song. It was also done right Live and I think would have made a great opening ala what they did in one of their Boston shows (I think).[/QUOTE]Vertigo Tour was strange in that it took two of the best live tracks they have in Streets and Bullet and made them both a giant MEH at best, and the tour was still pretty damn good.

Which is why it's way too early to get all pissy and want to burn GA tickets because of a rehearsal setlist. Give em a few shows first.[/QUOTE]

I really don’t understand how anyone thinks American soul is better than anything except maybe stand up comedy. I would gladly hear love and peace Or else instead of American soul.

I would guess I’m one of the few around here that think Love and Peace is an awesome song. It was also done right Live and I think would have made a great opening ala what they did in one of their Boston shows (I think).

I like LAPOE, and thought it was great live, and was at the Boston show where it opened. Much like the one time Magnificent opened in Foxborough on 360, thought it worked better as an opener than COBL, got the energy amped up (and wearing Mom Jeans, right Headache) right from the jump.

I really don’t understand how anyone thinks American soul is better than anything except maybe stand up comedy. I would gladly hear love and peace Or else instead of American soul.
Hey, stop the SUC bashing please, I like that song ;)
But yes, American Soul is definitely not one of the songs I'm looking forward to. But since in Europe we'll get RFD instead it's all good :D

Mentioned this a few pages ago, but subbing Landlady in for Song For Someone as part of the "Innocence" sequence would be a big improvement. You get a new song in here, there's no reason to do both SFS and 13 in the same concert, and Landlady works just as thematically well with the overall narrative.

Last edited:
The horse has left the barn on this idea, but it would've been fun if U2 had done a nightly setlist of 8-9 songs from SOE, one song from each of their previous 13 albums, plus a couple of one-offs (Sweetest Thing, HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarajevo, etc.) It would've been a cool tie-in to the "experience" idea.

Given the songs they've been rehearsing, it's still not totally out of the question?? At least one track from every record has been played thus far, except for Joshua Tree, Zooropa and NLOTH.

Mentioned this a few pages ago, but subbing Landlady in for Song For Someone as part of the "Innocence" sequence would be a big improvement. You get a new song in here, there's no reason to do both SFS and 13 in the same concert, and Landlady works just as thematically well with the overall narrative.

Never thought of this, but I like the idea. I only see two downsides, neither of which I think are that troubling for the idea:
1) SFS was a single and thus may be more recognizable, but it didn't appear to chart well so there really may not be much recognition risk.
2) SFS seems to be written from the perspective of a young Bono, while Landlady is from older Bono looking back. I don't think this is a dealbreaker since Iris and Cedarwood are arguably written from the perspective of an older Bono looking back at his youth.

The horse has left the barn on this idea, but it would've been fun if U2 had done a nightly setlist of 8-9 songs from SOE, one song from each of their previous 13 albums, plus a couple of one-offs (Sweetest Thing, HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarajevo, etc.) It would've been a cool tie-in to the "experience" idea.

Given the songs they've been rehearsing, it's still not totally out of the question?? At least one track from every record has been played thus far, except for Joshua Tree, Zooropa and NLOTH.

These three are the albums I'd love to hear live this tour... :wink:

Sounding like a broken record here: this is all very lazy. Falling back on the SOI tour experience and songs is weak. What a rollercoaster of emotions from that first rehearsal setlist until now.

Jesus christ I didn’t buy tickets bc I thought to myself the only thing that would make it worth it is if they played Acrobat and get real there’s no way that’ll happen. Lol

Ooooooh, interesting. And this email was just sent out:
The tour opens in Tulsa next week and as of now you can download the U2 AR eXPERIENCE App which promises a new kind of experience at a U2 show.

#U2eiTour will see a specially curated AR scene-setter—triggered by the 100-foot-long LED wall running the length of the arena floor—herald the band’s arrival on stage. Then check out the opening song... for a live show experience you can share with all your friends, as well as thousands of other fans at the show.

Download the U2 AR eXPERIENCE App for iOS or Android ahead of the show and see how it responds to the Songs of Experience album cover image at home.
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f330/augmented-reality-222063-4.html#post8255254

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom