SPOILERS U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i'm bringing my dad with me and he only knows some of the hits, like ISHF and WOWY. He doesn't know songs like the ocean or acrobat. I kinda wish that they play streets though. It's nice that the band is finally playing the songs that we wanted to be heard live but they need to give one, MW, Pride and SBS a break.

Ugh... no one said people wouldn’t bother showing up anymore.

My point is that U2 are able to charge $350 a ticket because of their hits. Take those away and replace them with other hits...ok. But take them away and replace them with Acrobat, The Ocean, 13, Cedar wood Road....not going to fly.

Do you really think that Acrobat is going to energize the crowd? There will be hardcore fans that really want to hear it and will flip out and then there will be the rest of the arena. It will likely be the same reaction that the back half of JT got during the JT30 tour with people enjoying the songs but not singing along and not really engaged like they were for the hits.

But maybe I’m wrong and when I watch the clips on YouTube of opening night the crowd will go wild for Acrobat and the song will energize the arena....hope so.
So, this same argument was presented about the JT tour.

OMG they can't front load it like that... everyone will flood to the toilets during side B.

But that didn't happen, because the Joshua Tree is a massive album in which everyone knows the songs, even the deep cuts.

And so is Achtung Baby.

So do I think fans will go nuts for Acrobat? Especially when you see where it is in the set (in the Raised By Wolves slot) and know that they'll do something pretty great theatrically?

Yea, I do.

There are no deep cuts on an album like Achtung Baby.

Always excited to see the band play but...

This setlist (is if it is what they plan on opening with) is pretty lame. I hope they don’t think simply having acrobat in there is going to completely blow us away. It’s a good song but I don’t know how it became this mythological song that needs to be one day played live.

For fucks sake, replace “one” with anything else. I honestly can’t take this song anymore. Probably ever since they did it with Mary J. It’s just become this lame commercial for whatever Bono is pushing in his latest agenda. Heartland would be nice in this spot.

An Cat Dubh hopefully is the slot where they rotate older songs with (electric co, Gloria). That and Out Of Control never did it for me. How about Wire, Like A Song, With A Shout?

Staring at the sun is probably the biggest snooze fest you could pick from Pop.

I get that they did streets all last tour but how can you not include that if that’s the case? That’s one song you never drop from a setlist.

Case of the Monday’s perhaps but the guys can do much better than that shit setlist!

Last edited:
I want to see what happens with the back half of this setlist. I look at Elevation through Pride and it reminds me of the e stage on i+e, except twice as long.

OMG they can't front load it like that... everyone will flood to the toilets during side B.

But that didn't happen, because the Joshua Tree is a massive album in which everyone knows the songs, even the deep cuts.

And so is Achtung Baby.

So do I think fans will go nuts for Acrobat? Especially when you see where it is in the set (in the Raised By Wolves slot) and know that they'll do something pretty great theatrically?

Yea, I do.

Right. As far as any of the lesser-played stuff goes, it probably would be recognized the most in general.

I think the only thing that can really take away from Acrobat otherwise is that it might not work too well as a live song in the end. I'm not saying it will or would be, but perhaps there could have been a reason why it's never been attempted in the past... simply because it never sounded right. But who knows? Guess we're going to find out.

Do you really think that Acrobat is going to energize the crowd? There will be hardcore fans that really want to hear it and will flip out and then there will be the rest of the arena. It will likely be the same reaction that the back half of JT got during the JT30 tour with people enjoying the songs but not singing along and not really engaged like they were for the hits.

I see what you mean, but truth be told... that's going to be any performer with a large catalog behind it. Or any time a whole album is performed by someone... the more popular stuff will get a larger reaction.

Acrobat certainly won't have the recognition that Streets or WOWY had, but being an "upbeat" tune from a album that sold very well should allow it to go down a bit better if it comes across well, I would think.

I brought my sister to one of the shows last year. She wasn't really familiar with the band beyond a few of the singles, much less The Joshua Tree as a whole. Exit blew her away at the show and was definitely one of the highlights for her.

That's certainly one case where a lesser-appreciated song came through in spades live.

I think the crowd was fairly engaged during Exit.

Yeah, Exit was kind of a shot in the arm after the RTSS --> OTH section. Great songs, but kinda killed the crowd.

I will say one thing, the BD/Elevation/Vertigo trio caused the crowd to go fucking crazy. Even though I could do without all 3 of those songs, I don't blame them for playing them every night if it works well. The point of the concert is to entertain the crowd. An entire U2 show without a song from the JT doesn't seem right, and probably will be a point of contention in the reviews.

Last edited:
Yeah, Exit was kind of a shot in the arm after the RTSS --> OTH section. Great songs, but kinda killed the crowd.

I will say one thing, the BD/Elevation/Vertigo trio caused the crowd to go fucking crazy.
I just don't agree whatsoever that the crowd was killed on the 2nd half of JT.

I mean... there are peaks and valleys in concerts. You can't have it be euphoric highs the entire show, especially in the middle of the first set.

The only energy sapping moment in the show was Miss Sarajevo.

I like they are taking some chances, but I bet some of the warhorses find there way back in as the tour goes on. No way The Ocean stays in as a regular every night- definitely will be rotated. I will Follow will be as well. I keep hoping they will dust off i threw a brick- a day without me combo.

If they are going to play longer as rumored, I still could see the final encore including streets and another warhorse.

If the rehearsal is the setlist, this section is one giant turd:
“You’re The Best Thing About Me” (First time in Canadian Rehearsals)
“Staring at the Sun” (Acoustic)
“Pride (In the Name of Love)”
“Get Out of Your Own Way”
“American Soul”
“City of Blinding Lights”
“One” (First time in Canadian Rehearsals)

I would imagine they'd play Best Thing acoustically with Starting at the Sun next up. Would give Larry a nice breather.

Playing both 13 and Song For Someone seems like a waste of time. If some of the I&E imagery and general setlist idea is being reused, why not just slot 13 into the old SFS spot?

Or take them both out and replace them with Red flag day or Little Things?

I just don't agree whatsoever that the crowd was killed on the 2nd half of JT.

I mean... there are peaks and valleys in concerts. You can't have it be euphoric highs the entire show, especially in the middle of the first set.

The only energy sapping moment in the show was Miss Sarajevo.

Negative. In Seattle there were quite a few unnatural lows - OTH, RTSS, MOTD, Ultraviolet, MS, Little Things... to name a few. Even Exit was not this epic experience people are talking about - at least for me and the area on the floor I was standing in.

the folks I know who were there and who really loved the show, had not seen U2 for many years. i.e. the causuals.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhonACrBgiP/?taken-by=u2

30710587_10156586135936686_8223881727025984187_n.jpg

Looks like there's a new trick up their sleeves - the platform inside the screen comes down?

I'm interested in Acrobat and how it will come off. And if it lasts. They haven't played the song live before for a reason. Now all of a sudden it makes sense? Makes me wonder if this is simply a move to generate buzz versus something they are genuinely committed to as part of the set. It's hard to be convinced of that after not playing this ever, 27 years after its release.

I am betting it become a RHMT thing. I.e. big letdown. We'll see.

And so is Achtung Baby.

Yea, I do.

I completely disagree. I have taken my entire family (10 of us, parents/siblings/spouces) to every tour since Vertigo, sometimes to multiple shows each tour. They are fans but are much more casual than I am. I posed the question of whether or not they had ever heard the song Acrobat and 9/10 had never heard of it; ie, only me the 'big fan' knew the song (and this includes my spouse who has seen 10 shows). Additionally no one knew 'So Cruel' or 'Love is blindness'. I think it's safe to assume every album has deep cuts...

Or some people just listen To the first 5 songs... :doh:

I just discovered the new Killers album and if one is interested in music, he listens at least a few times To the entire album.... The Calling, the 9th song is actually one of my favourite.

Anyway, like Headache said, if you go To a Pearl Jam show, you just can t expect To hear all the big hits... and the show is great. U2 is already so predictable, it s good To see big hits out for other songs (however not Song for someone x2, or The Ocean)

I’d love to hear “Trying to throw your arms around the world”. It would be a nice moment in the show!

I'm interested in Acrobat and how it will come off. I am betting it become a RHMT thing. I.e. big letdown. We'll see.

Well from the soundchecks so far they’re playing Acrobat full band electric with Edge’s guitar sounding amazing, so at least it’s a big step above RHMT in that aspect (which as we know he played piano on — and I agree, a letdown, at least instrumentally). A lot can change in the coming weeks though. They need to be happy with it or else it joins the likes of Drowning Man.

I just discovered the new Killers album and if one is interested in music, he listens at least a few times To the entire album.... The Calling, the 9th song is actually one of my favourite.

The Calling is a great tune. :up: Killer live as well.

Anyway, like Headache said, if you go To a Pearl Jam show, you just can t expect To hear all the big hits... and the show is great. U2 is already so predictable, it s good To see big hits out for other songs (however not Song for someone x2, or The Ocean)

I don't think any band is immune to whatever criticism, really. I've also heard stories about people seeing Pearl Jam and disappointed they didn't hear Jeremy/Even Flow/etc. - since they got the "other setlist" night, or that their show dragged on and one with a bunch of tracks they didn't know. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. But it's safe to say that most people go to those shows or U2's or whoever's and enjoy themselves. Hence why their solid live draws in the first place.

In the end, we can cherry pick what songs went "right" and which ones went "wrong". But the fact is more people are going to enjoy and react to songs they know at just about any show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom