SPOILERS U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unknown Pre-Recorded song (Possibly vocals by Bono)
“Love is All We Have Left” (Pre-Recorded)

Set One
“The Blackout”
“Lights of Home”
“Beautiful Day”
“I Will Follow”
“The Ocean”
“Iris”
“Cedarwood Road”
“Song for Someone”
“Sunday Bloody Sunday”
“Raised by Wolves”
“Until the End of the World”

Set Two
“Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me”
“Elevation”
"Desire"
"Vertigo"
"The Showman"
"You're The Best Thing About Me"
“Staring at the Sun”
“Pride (In the Name of Love)”
“Get Out of Your Own Way”
“American Soul”
“City of Blinding Lights”

Encore
“One”
“Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way”
“13 (There is a Light)
?

That is a terrible set list.

The last 6 songs of set 1 is exactly the same as the i&e tour. Why??

Blackout opener and lights of home 2nd song in I'm happy with aswell as hold me thrill me kiss me kill me opening the second set. I'm keen to hear the new songs so I'm not going to knock any of them.

Wouldn't end the gig with 13 though, on par with ending the 360 gigs with moment of surrender.

Only 4 80's songs, there's going to be a lot of people unhappy

The same 2000 songs repeated over and over

I bet you any money when you come out the concert you will hear more then one person say they didn't play the big hits. I'm all for playing new stuff but there has to be a fine balance, even Radiohead are staring to acknowledge their past.

Replace the last four songs of set 2 with:

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
With or Without You
Acrobat
Streets

Then the setlist would be as good as I could realistically hope for, apart from the oddity of set 1 having the last 6 songs as last time.

I always thought ending on a low key tune was an odd way to close a show. Yes 40 works when the crowd joins in but it still wasn’t a blood pumping moment. When they do the surprise “I will Follow” or “out of control” type song, people leave with an extra pep in their step. It’s a good way to close out.

I always thought closing with Streets would have been interesting.

I always thought ending on a low key tune was an odd way to close a show. Yes 40 works when the crowd joins in but it still wasn’t a blood pumping moment. When they do the surprise “I will Follow” or “out of control” type song, people leave with an extra pep in their step. It’s a good way to close out.

I always thought closing with Streets would have been interesting.

A final segment of Love Is Bigger-13-Streets would actually work really well to close the show

Last edited:
So this proposal allows U2 to use the same general I&E model, but freshens it up with newer songs. Also, it makes the screen a bigger part of the show.....it seemed weird to me that they had this big piece of technology but only used it maybe half the time.

* Blackout
* Desire
* Vertigo
* Get Out Of Your Own Way (screen turns on at the end to show Kendrick Lamar narrating the outro, leading into...)
* American Soul
* The Ocean
* Lights Of Home
* Cedarwood Road
* Raised By Wolves
* Bad (works so thematically well coming after RAW)
* Until The End Of The World
INTERMISSION BREAK
* Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
* Elevation
* You're The Best Thing About Me
* random e-stage song
* random e-stage song (I think there's a much better chance that songs like Acrobat, Wild Horses, Staring At The Sun, etc. are played sporadically during this segment than as central parts of the regular setlist)
* The Little Things That Give You Away (taking the EBW spot from last tour)
* The Showman (acoustic version to give Adam and Larry time to get back to the other end of the arena)
* Pride
* City Of Blinding Lights
* Beautiful Day
* One

ENCORE
* I Will Follow
* Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
* Where The Streets Have No Name

This certainly isn't an ideal setlist and not the direction I'd go with the show, but it's better than some of the rehearsal leaks.

Boring and lazy if you ask me.
Same final six songs from opening set, really??
Why not change SFS to Landlady and change SBS/RBW to Seconds/Red Flag Day. It would have the same effect IMO and they would satisfy a HUGE chunk of fans for the rarity and great new songs.

I’m sure I will have fun at this concert but I can’t wait honestly until the SOI SOE theme is finished. Unless SOA is still in the cards.

So this proposal allows U2 to use the same general I&E model, but freshens it up with newer songs. Also, it makes the screen a bigger part of the show.....it seemed weird to me that they had this big piece of technology but only used it maybe half the time.

* Blackout
* Desire
* Vertigo
* Get Out Of Your Own Way (screen turns on at the end to show Kendrick Lamar narrating the outro, leading into...)
* American Soul
* The Ocean
* Lights Of Home
* Cedarwood Road
* Raised By Wolves
* Bad (works so thematically well coming after RAW)
* Until The End Of The World
INTERMISSION BREAK
* Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
* Elevation
* You're The Best Thing About Me
* random e-stage song
* random e-stage song (I think there's a much better chance that songs like Acrobat, Wild Horses, Staring At The Sun, etc. are played sporadically during this segment than as central parts of the regular setlist)
* The Little Things That Give You Away (taking the EBW spot from last tour)
* The Showman (acoustic version to give Adam and Larry time to get back to the other end of the arena)
* Pride
* City Of Blinding Lights
* Beautiful Day
* One

ENCORE
* I Will Follow
* Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
* Where The Streets Have No Name

This certainly isn't an ideal setlist and not the direction I'd go with the show, but it's better than some of the rehearsal leaks.

Maybe open the show with the band already inside the screen? I think there are a TON of cool effects they could do with Blackout.

Last edited:
Just off the top of my head, I'd go with something like this. Plenty of new songs, some rare songs and some classics

Set 1

1 The Blackout
2 vertigo
3 11 o clock tick tock / out of control
4 beautiful day / elevation
5 I will follow /Gloria
6 lights of home
7 summer of love
8 red flag day
9 acrobat
10 New Year's Day
11 until the end of the world

Set 2

12 Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
13 Discotheque
14 Desire /Angle of Harlem
15 every breaking wave ( full band)
16 your the best thing about me
17 who's gonna ride you wild horses
18 get out of your own way
19 American soul
20 Little things that give you away
21All I want is you /Bad
22Where the streets have no name

Encore

23With or Without You
24Love is bigger then anything in its way

Last edited:
I liked SOI and enjoy the returning songs, but it's 3 years after the initial tour. They need to present these songs in a fresh way. It isn't 2016 and most people coming to see them are looking at this a whole new tour instead of the back half of a three year old tour.

On another note, 13 reminds me of The Troubles. It's a strong, moodier song that they clearly like but may not translate as well into a live setting. If they start trimming back SOE songs, I expect it to be the first to go.

Why not change SFS to Landlady and change SBS/RBW to Seconds/Red Flag Day. It would have the same effect IMO and they would satisfy a HUGE chunk of fans for the rarity and great new songs.

I can't believe U2 isn't doing to have Red Flag Day and Summer Of Love somewhere in the show since they're arguably the two best songs on the record.

Landlady-for-Song For Someone is a great idea, that would be a perfect setlist swap.

But in U2 terms, that is their equivalent to Pearl Jam's Mansfield 2003 "experiment".

Was that the 3 night stand where they played all 100+ songs they'd rehearsed? The recording of last one (with the acoustic set at the beginning) was the first Pearl Jam I ever owned, bought on a whim because I wanted to see what they were about. A pretty good introduction, it turned out.

Was that the 3 night stand where they played all 100+ songs they'd rehearsed? The recording of last one (with the acoustic set at the beginning) was the first Pearl Jam I ever owned, bought on a whim because I wanted to see what they were about. A pretty good introduction, it turned out.
Was indeed.

I believe the final count was 82 original songs and 12 covers over 3 nights, with only Yellow Ledbetter being repeated.

The third show was 47 songs long.

That's the one.
I was at all 3.
They planned to play all the songs they had been playing on that year's tour over 3 nights without repeating anything. They did end up repeating Yellow Ledbetter on night 3 as the crowd wouldn't leave/quiet down. Broke curfew that night in addition to the acoustic pre-set before Sleater Kinney that you mentioned.
I think it ended up being like 105 different songs over the 3 nights.

Perhaps we should make sure that, before every show, Bono receives a print-out of angry posts from Interference.

For starters, a stream of invective about the lack of Pop songs.

Uphill battle? You have like two other Acrobat Truthers for company, and the rest of us who just don't care to argue any more with people who think that a song on a massive album will not be recognised by a decent amount of the crowd.

So, yeah. I'm out. Hollow Island nailed it anyway:

Someone had a banner in one of the JT shows last year saying "I'm here for the 20th Anniversary of Pop" - To which I believe Bono gave them the finger

Ha ha ha, I think that was pepokiss.

Me, I am very much NOT into griping about setlists when all we have are two rehearsals that had a setlist-like shape.

I'll have quibbles later I'm sure, but oy vey.

if they play Acrobat then it'll be two tours in a row where they debut songs that fans have always wanted to hear live and never thought they would. that's pretty cool.

My suspicion is that assuming Acrobat is happening, it's not going to be at every show, it'll rotate with something else off Achtung or Hold Me Thrill Me etc.

Which is a shame, because there'll be so many fans just going to one show who would be crushed not to hear it.

(Thank god I'm going to a two-night set of shows, so my odds of hearing it are increased.)

Someone had a banner in one of the JT shows last year saying "I'm here for the 20th Anniversary of Pop" - To which I believe Bono gave them the finger

was that in Seattle? because Bono gave the finger to someone right in front of me on the floor. B was center stage and my wife and I could not figure out why he did that.

it's hard to believe he would flip someone off for holding a sign like that. Had to be something else, like shouting STFU or something. I will have to try to YouTube search this one.

For mine, the first set is ok, the second set is weird (esp. how it finishes) and the encore is garbage. I'd put Streets, WOWY, AIWIY and Bad into the encore. Thought this was meant to be a long show? They can easily play 4 more songs.

Bono appeared to give everyone the finger during Stingray Guitar. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I think they are committed to doing some rarities - however they do them, and they know Acrobat is the biggest white whale in the catalogue. Even if (though I don’t personally agree) they have abandoned the set placement they originally practiced, I think we can be almost certain that it will show up, and at least semi-regularly. It should be a nightly staple.

I wouldn't be so sure just yet. How many times have U2 rehearsed a song regularly in the weeks leading up to a tour and abandoned ship in the live shows? Drowning Man anyone?

That run towards the end of the 2nd set would be a new low for U2 live. If that shakes out as the normal set each night, it makes my decision of multiple shows or not pretty easy.

Am I the only one that thinks Little Things, Landlady and Red Flag Day are the 3 of the best songs from the new album? Can't believe they are going to leave them all out to play so many really mediocre to terrible songs.

The lack of creativity for the first section is pretty dumbfounding. The narrative was great, and I really enjoyed it, but to do the exact same thing three years later is pretty frustrating.

I am willing to bet within one month of opening night, several warhorses will be back into the set.

What are they looking at in terms of when they change the set similar to adding Vertigo into the mix halfway through the JT tour last year?

Are they receiving nightly reviews from their team, looking at online review, getting special fan feedback, or is simply how they feel the shows are going?

was that in Seattle? because Bono gave the finger to someone right in front of me on the floor. B was center stage and my wife and I could not figure out why he did that.

it's hard to believe he would flip someone off for holding a sign like that. Had to be something else, like shouting STFU or something. I will have to try to YouTube search this one.

Not sure of the exact show but it probably was Seattle as I remember hearing about it very early on in the tour.

It made me laugh because I could totally picture Bono doing that! :lol:

What are they looking at in terms of when they change the set similar to adding Vertigo into the mix halfway through the JT tour last year?

Are they receiving nightly reviews from their team, looking at online review, getting special fan feedback, or is simply how they feel the shows are going?

If it wasn’t for Bonnaroo, I don’t think Vertigo would have been played until a little later in the tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom