[Spoiler] has been played live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:combust:

I don't know how I feel about the changes they've made to the song. Oh well; it's still good to see it get played!

There were some noticable changes to the chorus from the demo version from HTDAAB. :hmm:

I'm glad they played it live.

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, but I must say I'm disappointed. Although the idea of a more frequent chorus isn't a bad one, it's not better and is arrived at far too suddenly, which upsets the song's contemplative feel; the part during which Bono sings "Because, because" is particularly awful.

They perhaps wisely took out:

"If you were ice, I'm water
And with your telescope, I can see further
We're binary code: a one and a zero
You wanted fire ___ and you got____"

Maybe that was for the best, since he kept the stronger lyrics. Yet these lyrics that sounded pretty good needed to be made more subtle and original to be fantastic and this hasn't happened.

I also prefer the guitar sound over the piano line, which is far too simple. Piano should have more loud and soft or maybe Eno can persuade them to use more textured synths. The piano thing is a crutch they've used on "City of Blinding Lights" and other songs; I don't like it. What happened to those piano lessons, Bono?

Later in the song, the entire set of verses with him singing "feel nothing" has been ejected along with its more climactic moments. It's just not grand anymore. The earlier version was also more experimental and ambitious, I think. U2 is going in the wrong direction. The song's melodies haven't acquired any more complexity and have actually lost some of the build up; I don't like Edge's new guitar solo, either.

Anyway, I'm glad the song is still in the running and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I hope U2 might read this and I must be honest in my disappointment.

u2 really blew this one imo. They obviously are trying too hard to write bad lyrics and a boring melody without enough politics and once again they are taking sides with Israel instead of Palestine. Obviously Mercy is a prayer and u2 are clearly taking sides on the west bank.

What i would really like to see is u2 take a good long look at the remake of 'Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' before they write anymore songs. Surely if they watch WW they would know that there's more to life than milk and honey.

More importantly, next tour they can re-create the chocloate factory complete with the glass elevator & Oompa-Loompas.

I really hope u2 might read this and rain chocolate milk down on our parade with the udders of a thousand brown mother cows, thus quenching our disappointment.

Not that I'm at all affected by this, but I think it's a pretty crummy thing to put a spoiler in a thread title in a part of the forum that is unrelated to the tour. I'd be pretty upset if I had been avoiding the tour section to keep away from spoilers, and saw this thread. Especially if I was planning on seeing the next show.

u2 really blew this one imo. They obviously are trying too hard to write bad lyrics and a boring melody without enough politics and once again they are taking sides with Israel instead of Palestine. Obviously Mercy is a prayer and u2 are clearly taking sides on the west bank.

What i would really like to see is u2 take a good long look at the remake of 'Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' before they write anymore songs. Surely if they watch WW they would know that there's more to life than milk and honey.

More importantly, next tour they can re-create the chocloate factory complete with the glass elevator & Oompa-Loompas.

I really hope u2 might read this and rain chocolate milk down on our parade with the udders of a thousand brown mother cows, thus quenching our disappointment.

:applaud: Someone with some sense

Not that I'm at all affected by this, but I think it's a pretty crummy thing to put a spoiler in a thread title in a part of the forum that is unrelated to the tour. I'd be pretty upset if I had been avoiding the tour section to keep away from spoilers, and saw this thread. Especially if I was planning on seeing the next show.
:applaud: someone with some sense

u2 really blew this one imo.

+1

They totally ruined a fantastic song. It's no longer an epic U2 "classic" with great structure. Instead it's become a ramble of nonsense with clunky lyrics.

I thought the chorus of "All Because of You" was uninventive, but Bono's outdone himself - he's trimmed 3 words to be just left with a single word "because, because, because..." zzzz.

This song NEEDS to be 6 minutes long. It has a story to tell and they've butchered it.

+1

They totally ruined a fantastic song. It's no longer an epic U2 "classic" with great structure. Instead it's become a ramble of nonsense with clunky lyrics.

I thought the chorus of "All Because of You" was uninventive, but Bono's outdone himself - he's trimmed 3 words to be just left with a single word "because, because, because..." zzzz.

This song NEEDS to be 6 minutes long. It has a story to tell and they've butchered it.

hmm i don't think you really read the rest of Mrs. Garrison's post

+1

Well, the original "fantastic", "epic U2 'classic' with great structure" version isn't going anywhere

I can't believe U2 renamed Mercy
. They completely ruined it. "Mercy" had such an atmospheric touch to it;
just sounds like they ran out of ideas. Once again Bono has ruined everything. :angry:

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, but I must say I'm disappointed. Although the idea of a more frequent chorus isn't a bad one, it's not better and is arrived at far too suddenly, which upsets the song's contemplative feel; the part during which Bono sings "Because, because" is particularly awful.

They perhaps wisely took out:

"If you were ice, I'm water
And with your telescope, I can see further
We're binary code: a one and a zero
You wanted fire ___ and you got____"

Maybe that was for the best, since he kept the stronger lyrics. Yet these lyrics that sounded pretty good needed to be made more subtle and original to be fantastic and this hasn't happened.

I also prefer the guitar sound over the piano line, which is far too simple. Piano should have more loud and soft or maybe Eno can persuade them to use more textured synths. The piano thing is a crutch they've used on "City of Blinding Lights" and other songs; I don't like it. What happened to those piano lessons, Bono?

Later in the song, the entire set of verses with him singing "feel nothing" has been ejected along with its more climactic moments. It's just not grand anymore. The earlier version was also more experimental and ambitious, I think. U2 is going in the wrong direction. The song's melodies haven't acquired any more complexity and have actually lost some of the build up; I don't like Edge's new guitar solo, either.

Anyway, I'm glad the song is still in the running and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I hope U2 might read this and I must be honest in my disappointment.

AHHHHhh people like you drive me fucking crazy!!! I love how you hear this and they think the original is better and get all pissed. You've heard the "original" now for what? 5 years now? and they have chaged it yes, but you've have heard the new version like once? and jump all over it. Why, why, why, why, are these some many idiots on this planet?

I just don't agree with this at all. I think U2's final choices were the right choices. The only case that I agree is some of the songs from POP they re-did.

really though. every U2 song suffers from them working on it. :D

I'm kind of assuming we're not hearing the true atmospherics of the new version like EBW, I would guess the intro will be longer at the very least.

That said, I want the entire first verse returned, and a bigger bridge (whether its the original or perhaps one that would fit better in this new vein), I actually do like the new chorus and the outro and the rockier aspect to it, although that would make such a cool takeoff if it was building from the extended aspect of the original.

Back
Top Bottom