Speaking of stage set-ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The two squares on the left are where the main stage will probably be at. The oval will pertrude from the point on. almost half the arena!

nice thought. what you actually see is the netting for arena football league. they have a arena football game at 7:00 on sat night. those yellow squares have nothing to do with the stage. i would advise checking the cam sunday night or monday morning.

I was gonna say there's stuff going on before the show, like gulls vs. longbeach(??) (--- oh, it's minor league hockey...) and some samurai warrior thingie... I wonder if we can watch that on the cams?

Last edited:
or the concert!?!?!?....im sure they will be turning the cam off during events. but during stage setup on sunday night/monday morn it may be on. ill check and post it if that's the case.

bcrt2000 said:
i wonder if the camzone runs during events :hmm:

Typically they get scrambled but not always. I checked the Atlanta Philips Arena cam during Elevation and the stage showed up at one point in the early afternoon but later it was scrambled and was out completely while the show was going on.

There was a camera in Pittsburgh for Springsteen 2 years ago. They left it on all show.

Just taking a look through the SDSA website right now, here are all the events for this week:

Fri Mar 25th - 7:00 pm - San Diego Gulls vs Long Beach (East Coast ( :shrug: ) Hockey League)

Sat Mar 26th - 7:00 pm - Riptide Exhibition vs All-Japan Samurai Warriors (Arena Football)

Sun Mar 27th - 7:00 pm - San Diego Gulls vs Gwinnett (ECHL)

Mon Mar 28th - 7:30 pm - U2//VERTIGO//2005 Tour

So therefore this means that the hockey game will probably be 3 hours (by the time it ends and everyone is cleared out). They will certainly have done load-in by this time but then they need to clear the ice. This should take 2 or so more hours to get gone completely (although they will be working with a wet floor). They will want to be done by mid-late afternoon, if not earlier, so that U2 can soundcheck properly. This means they'll probably start as soon as the ice is gone and just let the floor dry while they work. So, I suspect we can probably expect them to begin loading things into the arena floor around midnight or shortly thereafter on Monday morning, which is 3 am EST, and 8 am GMT.

So start checking up then. :)

Wait...this cam can't be live...

The previous event was a Gulls hockey game last night. That means they would have had the ice in. The next event is another Gulls game on Friday night.

So why the hell did they drain the ice and put up the arena football netting...? :scratch:

Usually, hockey arenas cover the ice instead of melting it down because it takes way to long to refreeze it.

I can't fathom they'd switch the entire arena around simply for a practice. Most even semi-pro teams have practice arenas, simply for the fact that they don't have to drain the ice, convert the whole thing, then remake the ice all the time. Especially because you'd think the hockey team would practice there a lot too.

Good lord this is bizarre. :shrug:

maybe they are having a football practice before the hockey game...

oh wait, headache beat me to it

Arena's do not drain the ice after each game. They just put another layer of floor on top of it, and then the floor for whatever event is going on goes on top of that.

So if there is hockey and a concert, there is the ice, then a padded layer on top of that, and then the floor and stage for the concert.

It only takes about an hour to cover the ice.

Hope that makes sense

cmb737 said:
The hockey game has been pushed back to 5:30 the night before.

Awesome. That means that they'd be starting around 2:30 here instead of 4:30. I might be able to catch the start of it. :)

The ice never left!

I wonder if we'll be able to see some set up today... :hmm:

Edit: oops, I meant tomorrow... This week has been too long. It feels like it should be Saturday already...

Last edited:
U2dork said:
The ice never left!

exactly... big time sports arenas don't melt their ice unless they have to. they have covers that go over the ice for other sporting events... i remember being at the preseason NIT at the garden, having seats in the floor section, and noticing a little bit of ice peaking out from under a cover by the boards.

sometimes low budget big arenas screw up the whole ice under the court/field thing... if you happened to catch the uw-milwauke vs. illinois game yesterday in chicago @ depaul's arena (why they didn't use the united center, i do not know)... they put the court over the ice. apparently they set the temperature on the court too high causing condensation on the court, making it very slippery for the entire game. durring pregame warmups a player for uw-milwaukee slipped and fell on his ass durring layup lines, knocking him out for the game.

so the moral of this story is, if you're at an arena that's a little skimpy on the budget and you're in the GA and the ice is below the floor covering, don't slip and fall on your ass.

Right now, I see two guys on the ice fixing some things.......hmmmm

U2dork said:
The ice never left!

I wonder if we'll be able to see some set up today... :hmm:

Edit: oops, I meant tomorrow... This week has been too long. It feels like it should be Saturday already...

The camera is of the San Diego Sports Arena........they won't start setting up there until after the LA rehearsal gig.

Back
Top Bottom