South America cast aside...again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRoberto

Babyface
Hopefully not...I'm still waiting the band's awareness about the thousand million fans they have here to kick in, and make them schedule at least 5 or 6 dates here.

It's been 10 years ...

JRoberto

Seven years, actually. It's 2005, not 2008.

And they won't be announcing any further dates (US second leg, Australia, Japan, et cetera) for a while yet.

I think HTDAAB's success may make U2 re-think and play S. America in 2006.

I don't think they will come..... :( They could totally fill stadiums if they come here, would they not get their money back? I mean, Popmart was a huge tour with lots of stuff to bring and shit, I doubt this tour is going to be as big as Popmart but I guess they either don't want to do such a long tour or they don't feel like they're going to get their money back...... :sad:

The reason for not playing in South America in January 2002 (as originally planned) was mainly a money issue. Due to the decreasing value of the currency against the dollar or the Euro, it makes it hard for them to go there. For Popmart in 1998, for the only time ever, U2 accepted tour sponsorship from a company to help with the costs of bring that tour to South America and Paul MacGuiness later stated that U2 did well on the 1997 portion of Popmart but lost money on all the 1998 portion.

A potentially good sign for South America this time is the fact that the Rolling Stones are planning to take their tour to South America in early 2006. The Stones are also promoted by the same company that promotes U2's tours, TNA. If TNA has found a way with South American promoters to allow the Stones to tour there and not lose money, then maybe they can convince U2 that they can do the same for them. Also, Bono stated when he received the Pablo Neruda award last fall in Dublin that he hopes they can get back to South America on this tour, but then again, in November 2000 on Globo TV in Rio De Janeiro, he stated that U2 would come to Brasil for Elevation and that never happened.

I really hope it happens for all the great U2 fans in South America. They really deserve it after how great they made U2 feel on the Popmart tour. I wish Paul MacGuinnes would think that even if U2 lost money on taking the tour there, that they would end up selling a lot more cds to excited fans. Ths is a lot of extra money that U2 may not otherwise earn in South America.

Halup said:
The reason for not playing in South America in January 2002 (as originally planned) was mainly a money issue. Due to the decreasing value of the currency against the dollar or the Euro, it makes it hard for them to go there. For Popmart in 1998, for the only time ever, U2 accepted tour sponsorship from a company to help with the costs of bring that tour to South America and Paul MacGuiness later stated that U2 did well on the 1997 portion of Popmart but lost money on all the 1998 portion.

A potentially good sign for South America this time is the fact that the Rolling Stones are planning to take their tour to South America in early 2006. The Stones are also promoted by the same company that promotes U2's tours, TNA. If TNA has found a way with South American promoters to allow the Stones to tour there and not lose money, then maybe they can convince U2 that they can do the same for them. Also, Bono stated when he received the Pablo Neruda award last fall in Dublin that he hopes they can get back to South America on this tour, but then again, in November 2000 on Globo TV in Rio De Janeiro, he stated that U2 would come to Brasil for Elevation and that never happened.

I really hope it happens for all the great U2 fans in South America. They really deserve it after how great they made U2 feel on the Popmart tour. I wish Paul MacGuinnes would think that even if U2 lost money on taking the tour there, that they would end up selling a lot more cds to excited fans. Ths is a lot of extra money that U2 may not otherwise earn in South America.

I hope this deal happens!!!!!!!! :hyper: A new way should be found for more international bands to tour here more often and have more dates and go in more countries. In 2003 Rush came over here with a really big tour and in São Paulo they had their biggest crowd ever!

=offtopic=For what record will The Rolling Stones be touring in South America for? :love: Are thy making a new record? :drool: =offtopic=

The Rolling Stones have begun work on a new studio album which is probably going to be released somewhere around July to September, with a world tour starting in the US. People who run some of the Rolling Stones web sites who have good insider contacts have kept on mentioning that they do plan to visit South America on this tour. Mick said the shows in Buenos Aires in 1998 were the best shows of the entire Bridges to Babylon tour so you know he really wants the band to play there again. The rumors have said that the South American promoters are trying to not have them only play in Brasil, Argentina and Chile, but also in Venezuela and Peru.

In the past few years, South America has had some very big bands play there. You mentioned Rush, but also Roger Waters, Eric Clapton, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Linkin Park. All of these shows were very expensive for the bands to go there, but they did it successfully, so I don't know why U2 cannot do the same. Linkin Park went all the way to S America for only 1 show in Sao Paulo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom