Songs where Larry shines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerangboy

Babyface
I was listening to SOI again recently and it struck me that, unfortunately, none of Larry's drum parts really stood out to me like some of his past performances.

I played drums in school and occasionally nowadays just for fun/relaxation but I don't claim to be pro or an expert. I have so many that I can list, but a few immediately spring to mind.

• A sort of homecoming
  • Please
  • Last night on Earth
  • The refugee
  • I threw a brick
  • Walk to the water
  • Exit
  • Cedars of Lebanon

So, what do you think are some of Larry's best drum(ming) parts/songs/moments?

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Never heard anyone else play it like Larry did on the album and War tour. Not even himself on later tours.

Acrobat is my favourite Larry song. Amazing beat.

Cedars? Interesting choice...

I would say Mofo
I've always found Race Against Time interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I thought he and Adam were awesome on SOI...:huh:

I think we can all agree on how awesome Larry was in the 80's & 90's. Here are tunes I think hes great last decade and this one:

-Walk On (good use on fills)
-Grace
-Original of the Species
-City of Blinding Lights
-Unknown Caller
-Magnificent
-Breathe
-Iris
-Raised By Wolves
-Sleep Like A Baby
-Solider Solider

Like the songs or not, I thought Larry killed it on Reach Me Now, Iris and Volcano.

It's funny, for the guy who formed the band he's clearly the most expendable.

Can't believe no-one's specifically mentioned "Gloria" yet the opening is great and his fills in the last minute of it are brilliant in particular.

WOWY is another deceptive one, this drumbeat is fantastic in that it could have been much simpler but it adds so much colour https://youtu.be/nhU24xxbnsU?t=1m37s

After specifically listening to the percussion parts in u2 songs during my morning run I think that many of the songs on soi have some neat drum parts. Especially this is where you can reach me now, volcano and the troubles. Sunday bloody Sunday is my favorite for Larry's drumming but Gloria New Years day and bad are great as well.

As a drummer going on 17 years I am by no means an excellent one, but I like to think my judgement is quite sound when it comes to ranking them. Sure Larry will never be listed in a top 100 drummers list of all time, but that doesn't mean he's not a gifted one. For example the fills he begins to play from 0:40 in this clip of the Electric Co from Phoenix are really difficult to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjn9MJbgzKs

His right hand switching from the floor tom to the crash cymbal at that speed is quite impressive considering that Edge is controlling the tempo after the middle eight/bridge of 'Send in the Clowns'. From a drummers stand point you would be shitting yourself and hoping you would be able to come in on time and not completely collapse. The Electric Co has always had an odd time signature. If you listen to some of the bootlegs from their early shows his drumming is constantly speeding up and then slowing down right before Edge kicks in with his solo in the middle. Bad, Dirty Day and a Sort of Homecoming are also good examples of odd time signatures. Just imagine trying to play the drum pattern from Dirty Day live in Sydney 93 for the entire song and not dropping a beat. It's crazy.

I was listening to SOI again recently and it struck me that, unfortunately, none of Larry's drum parts really stood out to me like some of his past performances.

I played drums in school and occasionally nowadays just for fun/relaxation but I don't claim to be pro or an expert. I have so many that I can list, but a few immediately spring to mind.

• A sort of homecoming
  • Please
  • Last night on Earth
  • The refugee
  • I threw a brick
  • Walk to the water
  • Exit
  • Cedars of Lebanon

So, what do you think are some of Larry's best drum(ming) parts/songs/moments?

Good call on Walk to the Water. His drumming on that song sounds like bubbles under water. Brilliant.

I think just as strong an argument could be made for Adam.

He almost was. Very few groups have a completely intact lineup for thirty years. (it's one of the things I brag about when I tell people that U2 is my favorite band).

Back
Top Bottom