Songs they should keep, drop, add.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only song I really wish they'd drop is Bullet, I just don't see why it has to be played at every single show. It was never a hit single or (as far as I'm aware) a real fan favourite. The band didn't put it on the Best Of, although Bad found a place despite also never being a single and that gets played far more sporadically, not that I'm complaining mind, its rarity makes it more special.

I think rotation is the key to songs remaining fresh for both audience and band, some nights U2 are going through the motions, it would be impossible for them not to be. Bono knows the lines to Pride, SBS etc so well he doesn't even have to think about them. Personally I'd like to see Streets, Pride, SBS, IWF, WOWY, and One alternate with other more rarely performed songs Dirty Day, PLease, Stay, Gone, Kite, but I take the argument that unlike the die-hard fan the more casual fan expects these songs and would feel short changed by their absence.

I suppose I just feel dropping certain songs for a period would reinvigorate them, the band would approach them again with more enthusiasm which at the end of the day always makes for a better performance.

Last edited:
I hope they dont drop Bullet :) It one of my favporite songs, because in every tour its reinvented somehow :) except the last two tours :p

DROP:

Miss Sarajevo
Love And Peace Or Else
One (album version rocks though)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
City Of Blinding Lights (it should be snippited in WTSHNN)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
All Crap versions of Elevation

Add:
Dirty Day
Electrical Storm
The Electric Co.
SBS (WANT ZOOTV VERSION BACK!!!! :sad:)
Please
Gone
Love Is Blindness
Until The End Of The World (wish it was played every concert like Elevation :sad: )
A better version of Elevation, with Lara Crofty coming up and dancing with Bono :wink:
Seconds

The_Pac_Mule said:
I hope they dont drop Bullet :) It one of my favporite songs, because in every tour its reinvented somehow :) except the last two tours :p

DROP:
Miss Sarajevo
Love And Peace Or Else
One (album version rocks though)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
City Of Blinding Lights (it should be snippited in WTSHNN)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
All Crap versions of Elevation
I have never made a secret of my love for the Vertigo live version of Miss Sarajevo, therefore I protest against the idea of dropping it. I just listened to Vertigo Milan the other day and the song was definitly a highlight. More so, because it was such a surprise they played it on the Vertigo tour, and I found it very touching.

And I don't see them dropping One, it's such a crucial song, especially for Bono, in connection with his political message. I agree though that it a) has been played too much, too often and b) would need a pause and a reinvention. But I freely admit that a good version of One still gives me goosebumps. I have a special love for the orchestra versions, but they were played so rarely.

Sometimes, no way, too important for Bono. I love the song, but think it's not the right song for a stadium concert. And COBL is the perfect start of the show. In fact, I think they should have brought back more songs from the last album and got rid of some of the old stuff they have played for a gazillion times during their carreer.

The only song I wouldnt mind seeing dropped completely at least for a tour is Bullet. ZooTV it was great still, but it has tapered off since that time. Its not a hit and the casual fan isnt THAT familiar with it (to the point where I think they would be disappointed if it wasnt done). It seems like they keep it for the political aspect of it. They could replace it with a full band Please and have the same effect. Plus Please was a single and it would bring some attention back to POP which they largely seem to ignore now.

Songs I think could rotate in and out of a setlist would be Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday. I see why the do them, but they dont same punch anymore. Although if I was seeing U2 for the first time I could see being disappointed if they werent done. (and thats why they continue to get played)

ramblin rose said:
The only song I really wish they would drop is Bullet. I've heard it live over 100 times and I'm really sick of it.

:yes:
Also add Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday to that and keep Gloria, Bad and RTST :drool:

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
Keep:::
COBL
Elevation
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Streets
Drop:::
I Will Follow
One
Pride...maybe...
Add:::
Electrical Storm
Dirty Day
EBTTRT
40---although they had it for the indoor concerts =)
:drool:

- COBL won't make it in the next set lists. U2 were pretty unsure, what to do with this tune. Originally one of the openers, in Europe it made space for the first of two "Vertigo" performances (which was one performance too much...). Then finally it got back to full glory with the long, "Hawkmoon 269"-like slide guitar intro as the best of the tour openers. On the other hand, I'd like to see u2 having a new opener in the new tour – and in the set, there are a zillion other U2 tunes, that should be played/rediscovered. COBL personally I don't need that much.
- Elevation should be kept – yes, it still rocks!
- Mysterious Ways shouldn't be kept every night, it is one of the Greatest Hits now, one of those, the band should keep fresh by playing it from time time, but not every night ...
- The Fly should have a similar aproach in the sets as Mysterious Ways, but maybe not that popular now as it has been more than a decade ago.
- Vertigo definetly will be played, you can count on that. A great tune, a great rocker...
- Beautiful Day I can't listen to anymore. It has been played to death for two tours now, on every night with no variation of the tune musically. Please give it a rest, or play it from time to time to give it some freshness back!
- Where The Streets Have No Name is a sacrosanctum – never to be dropped, but it might resurrect in its old, red-curtain glory!
The DROP list is an utopy:
- One will be played always, though I wish, we would get a rearranged version (maybe stripped down acoustic) and please with not a 15' speech before...
- I Will Follow is great, rocking and was brought back to old punk rock speed in the last tours. Ply it from time to time, and I'm fine.
- Pride is one of the greatest U2 tunes ever. But play it in its entirety – or drop it completely. No medley-like versions anymore please!!!

The add list, well, at least for me:
- The Unforgettable Fire (as a staple next tour)
- Exit
- Spanish Eyes (at least in Spain!)
- Dirty Day
- Please (full band, POP still rocks!)

elevation is a great song live i personally think

i love one ((Studio version)) but live idk it just doesnt have the power it should.

The_Pac_Mule said:

I completely agree with you on that one :yes:

btw I am The Edge :edge: :sexywink: :wink:

Cool, The Edge, then please do some of your elder fans a favour and (re-)learn all together the chords & words for "The Unforgettable Fire", "Exit and ""Acrobat" – then you have three great classics rediscovered for next tour. Any who no acoustic premiere of "Drowning Man"? Thanx, The Edge and walk on (*smile*)...

Keep:
COBL
Vertigo
Elevation (if is like the Irving Plaza version, then we're good)
One (but make it like in Zoo TV, the 5th song or something like that)
Streets (of course)
The Electric Co. :drool:
UTEOTW

Drop:
1 - SYCMIOYO
2 - Bullet
3 - Miss S
4 - New Year's Day
5 - Zoo Station
6 - The Fly
7 - '40' (leave it for the LAST TOUR)

Change for dropped ones:
1 - So Cruel
2 - Like A Song // Please
3 - Running To Stand Still (ZooTV style)
4 - New Year's Day (acoustic, with "maybe the time is right" part)
5 - Mofo
6 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
7 - Mercy or some other new song // COBL

Shuffle:
Bad
WOWY
Pride
ISHFWILF
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways // Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
I Will Follow // Out Of Control // Gloria // 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
The Wanderer // Wake Up Dead Man
Exit // In God's Country
HMTMKMKM // Dirty Day
Last Night On Earth // Gone

Add:
Discotheque
The Unforgettable Fire
Van Diemen's Land // Numb
Walk On // Kite (long version)
October // MLK

I think that's about right :)

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
The only song I wouldnt mind seeing dropped completely at least for a tour is Bullet. ZooTV it was great still, but it has tapered off since that time. Its not a hit and the casual fan isnt THAT familiar with it (to the point where I think they would be disappointed if it wasnt done). It seems like they keep it for the political aspect of it. They could replace it with a full band Please and have the same effect. Plus Please was a single and it would bring some attention back to POP which they largely seem to ignore now.

Songs I think could rotate in and out of a setlist would be Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday. I see why the do them, but they dont same punch anymore. Although if I was seeing U2 for the first time I could see being disappointed if they werent done. (and thats why they continue to get played)

Agree with you. I could live without Bullet, but I can´t see that song being dropped from the setlist. As much as I love Please, I can´t see it happening again, I think that song is definitely buried. As for Pride and SBS, I like your idea, they could rotate the songs, because there´s no way they would be dropped. There are two songs that I think were amazing live, therefore I would love to be able to seem them again: Last Night on Earth and Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.

MT (back after ages without posting here)

i can live without the crappy songs of the s.c. bomb

i wanna hear ACROBAT, GOD Part 2, WIRE, MOFO, DO YOU FEEL LOVED

As they "rediscoved" Boy on the last tour, I'd like to see similar exploration of October, or more realistically The Unforgettable Fire on the next tour. Imagine hearing Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire, MLK and Wire on the next tour :drool: :drool: or in my ideal scenario Promenade and Elvis Presley and America :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Dallas Schoo may retire from working with U2 if BTBS is not played. There is a video interview from the last tour where he says that that solo is his favourite part of the set every night!!!!

Including rehearsals and soundchecks he's really has heard the song 500-600 times.

u2fp

Keep:

Electric Co (it is a MUST)
New Year's day
Love and Peace
Sometimes....
Gloria
Vertigo
One tree hill
Saints are coming
The fly
Discotheque
Mysterious ways
Streets

Drop:

Pride
Sunday bloody sunday (if they keep sleeping on that one)
Bullet (if they keep sleeping on that one)
With or without you (unless it is back to JT - Lovetown versions)
One (some nights)
I still haven't found (can't bear this song anymore)
All I want is you
I will follow
Window in the skies

Add:

11 o'clock tick tock
Twilight
Mofo
God part 2
Please
Lemon
I fall down
HMTMKMKM
Exit
Wire
Unforgettable fire

Assuming next tour is 22 songs again, and 7 will be reserved for new songs, I'd like to see:

1. Streets
2. Please
3. Beautiful Day (1 show in 3 is sub'd with COBL)
4. Sometimes (even split on rotation with Walk On)
5. Vertigo
6. Zoo Station (even rotation with Myst Ways or TTTYAATW)
7. WGRYWH (Full Band)
8. Electrical Storm (B-Side, Band Version)
9. Running To Stand Still
10. One Tree Hill (occassionally sub'd with Bad)
11. UTEOTW (Even split rotation with Mofo)
12. The Unforgettable Fire (VERY occasionally sub'd with WOWY)
13. Seconds
14. Two Hearts Beat As One
15. Crumbs (Assuming they can get it right)

Please into Crumbs into RTSS into Streets would be cool.

Songs dropped entirely:
1. Elevation - dated turn of the century pop trash
2. Pride - If you're not gonna rock it out, don't waste your or our time.
3. The Fly - Same as Pride. The guys just look kinda old playing this.
4. One - Yes, we get the message. Let it rest for a tour.
5. SBS - ditto, and closed circuited to 1988.
6. NYD - This is too "classic rock" and needs to go.
7. Bullet - ditto x1,000,000
8. Miracle Drug - preachy peace of crap.

Last edited:
Assuming next tour is 25 songs, and 6 will be reserved for new songs, I'd like to see:

1. "Mercy" (=new Track#1)
2. "Unknown song" (=new Track#2)
3. "Even Better Than..." or "Discothèque"
4. "Unforgettable Fire" or "A Sort Of Homecoming"
5. "One" incl. "Slow Dancing" (acoustic)
6. "Until The End Of The World"
7. "Exit" or "Dirty Day"
8. "Unknown song" (=new Track#3)
9. "Unknown song" (=new Track#4)
10. "Party Girl" (acoustic) or "Angel Of Harlem"
11. "I Still Haven't..." incl. "Stand By Me" (acoustic)
12. "Unknown song" (=new Track#5) (acoustic)
13. "Please"
14. "God Part II"
15. "October"
16. "I Fall Down" or "Window In The Skies"
17. "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" or "N.Y. Day"
- 1st encore
18. "Where The Streets Have No Name"
19. "Spanish Eyes" or "I Will Follow"
20. "Crumbs From Your Table" or "Mysterious Ways"
- 2nd encore
21. "Vertigo"
22. "Out Of Control" or "Twilight"
23. "Stories For Boys" or "Tomorrow"
- 3rd encore
24. "Bad" or "One Tree Hill"
25. "Unknown closer" (=new track #6)

Omg! I love you Edge!

who woulda thought :wink:

As they "rediscoved" Boy on the last tour, I'd like to see similar exploration of October, or more realistically The Unforgettable Fire on the next tour. Imagine hearing Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire, MLK and Wire on the next tour or in my ideal scenario Promenade and Elvis Presley and America

they did Gloria though, so that counts as an exploration :p so next tour will be War an UF :drool:

Honestly not because I hate the song necessarily but Mercy doesn't have opener 'ooomph'

I agree on One Tree Hill

also

Twilight
Acrobat
Rejoice or Like a Song

and where they did The Ocean, now is the perfect time for Tomorrow. In fact I'd likely experience epiphany on the spot if I heard Tomorrow one day.

I don't want them to drop any 80s classics, just rock them out more.

Maybe also only do 3 shows per week but do 30 songs + encores...

heh...yeah...Larry's SUPPOSED to be the mean one...but that's just a front

anyways, do the math Larry

4 shows per week X 25 songs = 100 songs, and 4 nights of pain, and months of internet losers bitching about how short the sets are

3 shows per week X 32 songs = 96 songs and a hell of alot of happy campers, and only 3 nights of pain

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom