Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2songs reported a surprise November 18th drop

That prediction was made about a month ago and unfortunately they don't have any new info since then. So all we can do is hope that their initial report is still correct and that they didn't change anything.

That prediction was made about a month ago and unfortunately they don't have any new info since then. So all we can do is hope that their initial report is still correct and that they didn't change anything.
U2songs first mentioned that date around 6, 7 months ago roughly. For some reason they changed it to the 1st November but 18th November was the date they mentioned back in April, in fact it was April 1st because people thought it was an April fools. It seems like the most recent information suggests the physical release could be a bit later, into the new year isn’t unthinkable, but the digital release could well still happen on the 18th. Friday 2nd does make sense as well letting Bono’s solo tour wrap up, not that I think that’s necessary but it could be the logic they are going with.

Last edited:
U2songs first mentioned that date around 6, 7 months ago roughly. For some reason they changed it to the 1st November but 18th November was the date they mentioned back in April, in fact it was April 1st because people thought it was an April fools. It seems like the most recent information suggests the physical release could be a bit later, into the new year isn’t unthinkable, but the digital release could well still happen on the 18th. Friday 2nd does make sense as well letting Bono’s solo tour wrap up, not that I think that’s necessary but it could be the logic they are going with.

Yep still hoping they're right, but definitely a bit concerning that the band has been radio silent on the back channels too. Even before the Apple event, the rumors picked up some steam for a few days before. So we'll see. Hopefully all on schedule but don't be surprised if Friday comes and goes and we're left wondering what happened.

The timing seems to fit nicely with a very last minute Black Friday announcement for it. Digital release Friday 18th, Black Friday special edition the following week and then the wider release following that at some point but with pre orders available from the 18th. The Black Friday thing goes against what u2songs say though but it could be a very well kept surprise possibly?

Last edited:
The lack of any rumours/buzz ahead of the 18th definitely doesn't inspire confidence.

But then again, if this is a very muted release - generally quite mellow, understated music, with no performances, and no real press outside Bono's book tour - then maybe it's easier to keep under wraps as a surprise release?

Based on the snippets we've heard so far, I'm getting more of a sense that SoS might exist as a companion soundtrack to Surrender, rather than as its own thing.

(But maybe I'm wrong - maybe the tracks on SoS sound different to the audiobook clips, maybe there will be performances, press etc and they're just waiting for Bono's book tour to finish for a clean break. In which case, the Dec 2 date is a good suggestion)

Worth mentioning that if Bono is indeed doing Marc Maron's podcast at the latter's home studio in Los Angeles, it would be happening today or tomorrow, as he's got a show in London on the 16th.

Not that he won't ever be back in Los Angeles, especially if they're doing the talk show rounds with the album, but now would seem to be a better time in terms of promoting the book specifically. And Maron was at Bono's show last night, so it's possible they even recorded the interview on-site (he's done the remote thing before).

Hope we get a confirmation soon.

Last edited:
What about the whole Yondr pouches thing. That’s very out of character for u2 who have previously shown fairly relaxed views on fans recording at their shows: perhaps this policy relates to the fact that these arrangements don’t exist on record, and are actually u2 related. Maybe they don’t want the internet bursting with recordings of these arrangements and confusing them for a Bono solo project? May also explain why sites like u2start were asked to remove bootlegs of this tour by U2 when they don’t give a shit about the thousands of other shows in their archive.

I imagine that because this is a more intimate, mostly spoken-word show, it would be even more distracting than normal for people to have their phones out the whole time. For Bono and the other audience members.

Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

With that in mind, maybe 2 December is more likely? Or 18 Nov is still possible but they didn’t want marketing to shift focus from Bono to U2 until the tour was pretty much sold and largely done. The more I think about it the more it makes sense that the taking peoples phones relates to the unreleased nature of the versions of the songs - and if there was no plan to release them, then why bother taking the phones in the first place?

Last edited:
I imagine that because this is a more intimate, mostly spoken-word show, it would be even more distracting than normal for people to have their phones out the whole time. For Bono and the other audience members.

It’s a fair point - but it doesn’t explain why the u2 organisation is telling u2start to remove recordings.

I’m sure SOS will at least be announced this week and set up for a physical release just in time for Christmas.

Didn’t Bono say one member of the band is recovering from an injury ?

Assuming it’s Larry, maybe they won’t release the album until he’s in better health and can play some of the promo shows.

Or

They’re second guessing songs they’ve already written

And Amazon in the uk and Ireland have never had any of the audiobook cd’s sent out and don’t even just them anymore?

Hey here's another crazy thought... what if this alleged JJ Abrams Netflix doc is based on the book?

Not sure if this is sarcasm, so forgive me if I'm being clueless here, but from the interview bit with Bono about it, he said that Abrams was using the book as a jumping off point for the series.

for the album, I think if it doesn't appear Friday as originally rumored, it's because they're choosing to prioritize book promo - that's Bono's tour, related promo, documentaries, etc.

I think the album will come out once the bulk of the book promo is finished, and promoted as a proper U2 release, separate from the book, except maybe via brief mention in the press release ("on the heels of lead singer Bono's memoire, U2 are now also looking inward...")

I think the physical release date is set in stone maybe for early 2023 or something, but they have flexibility on the digital side, and are gauging success of the book and its related promo before releasing the digital version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom