Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if Larry cant play live in 2023, can he record presumably big, booming drums for an "unreasonable" rock record in 2023?

There’s suggestions at the end of this recent interview that the band aren’t looking at releasing a new album as an immediate priority but just to release a few songs or even one new song.

For “Surrender,” U2 recorded 40 stripped-down versions of the songs featured in the memoir, with the collection set to be released next year. They also have a nearly finished album of new original songs called “Songs of Ascent.” But Bono and Edge aren’t sure when to release it. They aren’t sure about a lot.

So confirmed that it's still coming, and confirmed that it's coming next year.

Interesting about Larry not being able to play. So they're either done and using Larry's surgery as an excuse, or they plan on recording most of it without him and letting him do his part when he's able, and/or pushing anything new until 2024.

Also calls into question the Vegas shows. Supposedly they're set for September. Maybe that's enough time - and if it's just two shows a week for a limited run, perhaps that's enough for Larry to get proper rest.

Surgery may also be something he needs to do this live every night - but not something that would prevent him from recording or doing occasional shows.

Terry Lawless was headed to Dublin, so perhaps they're rushing to get something finished before Larry goes under the knife. Thus the sudden shift to single or EP.

Last edited:
“ You only do this if you’re having the best time,” Mullen says. “And not everyone is going to make it because the price is so high. So I think the challenge is for more generosity. More openness to the process. I am autonomous and I value my autonomy. I don’t sing from the same hymn sheet. I don’t play to the same version of God. So everyone has their limits. And you only do this if it is a great time you’re having, you know?”

I think vegas for 2023 at least is off now.
I wouldn't say that at all. Possible but far too early to say.

The gigs aren't until late 2023, and even that is dependent upon the building being finished on time - which is always a concern for large venues like this.

Larry's issues don't seem like something that just popped up, so I'm sure they knew about it.

Seems to me that they’re setting the stage for the eventuality of moving forward without Larry. By his own choice. Or at least he’s purposefully downsizing his role in the band. Maybe recording and writing but not touring, etc. If he’s unhappy or he can’t physically do it anymore, I’m all for U2 finding somebody else to play. I’d still go see them without him, though it would be sad.

Pfffffffff...... so definately no SOS this year. Will it see the light of day at all? I guess it will be shelved, along with most of their work.

Seems to me that they’re setting the stage for the eventuality of moving forward without Larry. By his own choice. Or at least he’s purposefully downsizing his role in the band. Maybe recording and writing but not touring, etc. If he’s unhappy or he can’t physically do it anymore, I’m all for U2 finding somebody else to play. I’d still go see them without him, though it would be sad.

I’m all for Bono, Edge and Adam carrying on without Larry, but I’m not for U2 carrying on without Larry. It’s not U2 without Larry, and they know that. But REM also knew it wasn’t REM if any of the four left…

I’m Surrender, Bono referred to OST 1 as Passengers’ only album to date. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but maybe the name and revolving-door concept will be revived if Larry leaves. Not that I think he’s leaving. They’ll probably wait for him and address his concerns about how the band is run.

The gigs aren't until late 2023, and even that is dependent upon the building being finished on time - which is always a concern for large venues like this.

Larry's issues don't seem like something that just popped up, so I'm sure they knew about it.

Well it brings back the old question then; they can't even announce or sell tickets to these Sphere shows until Larry is cleared by doctors and personally willing to commit. If he's not in a place to make that decision until the summer, that might be too late for November shows, especially if they were meant to be the inaugural act for the venue.

But you know better than me about the sales/show date window. I know they're longer than ever (tickets sold 6, 9 months in advance), but do they have to be? Is this venue a special case because they technically haven't booked anyone yet?

I suspect the band would break up before continuing without him. Adam certainly doesn't have the fire that Bono and Edge do, and is more likely to say "me too" if Larry quits than wanting to go find a drummer for hire.

Honestly, if the band decided to become mostly a recording-only act like late Beatles, I'd be fine with that. I know they've said time and time again "live is where we live" and all that, but doing limited performances and not world tours could be a compromise they could all live with, and they have to be realistic at some point--they'll all be close to 65 years old by the time a new album actually comes out.

As I said above, Songs of Ascent, whenever it comes out, is not likely going to be toured, and will just be a parting gift for posterity.

When I read the article, I instantly remembered this thread from years ago debating the merits of a fill-in.

https://www.u2interference.com/foru...if-larry-or-adam-needed-a-fill-in-217015.html

The quotes certainly raise a few questions. But I'm not going to speculate too much on Larry's long-term status until something suggests otherwise. For now, it just seems like there's a possibility he could miss shows if they tour sooner than later.

Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

That quote from Larry is a bit concerning. I can’t help but think that Larry’s decision on surgery and/or mood with the current state of the band led them to shelve SOA for Larry to decide he’s continuing on. Not because it’s in Bono’s head that he suddenly wants to put out a hard rock EP now. I think it’s buying time for Larry to figure out what he’s going to decide on to figure out their timeline.

an EP or digital single release? Who’s fucking with me?

A Larry surgery comes complete with a recovery timeline that will determine touring scheduling. I’d imagine they already have a view on it and have adjusted accordingly. He can afford the very best care; if they didn’t think he could recover and play, they wouldn’t be voicing touring at all.

As for fill-ins, there’d be no U2 without Lawrence so there should be no U2 without Lawrence.

Yeah, that's not encouraging in any shape or form is it

I know touring is punishing, but if he's suffering that much, rehearsing & recording ain't going to happen either, at least in the ways they'd normally do it. He was laid out for much of the early Pop sessions wasn't he?

The Vegas shows must be looking iffy now too because it's not as simple as booking them on the assumption that whatever Larry needs done gets done, rehab goes according to plan etc. Not if it's his back and not at his age either. Anyway, it's all speculation but hard not to be pessimistic given all we know about the band dynamics.

Maybe that's the reason SOA is 2023 now, because they know there ain't going to be a new album, or tour, or anything else?

There’s suggestions at the end of this recent interview that the band aren’t looking at releasing a new album as an immediate priority but just to release a few songs or even one new song.

I wonder if releasing a single or EP might be a way of 'testing the waters' for a new sound/direction (i.e. a hard rock sound) without committing to a whole album or live tour based around that concept?

They could release a single in the summer, play it at the Vegas shows, and see if it's a sound that resonates with audiences (even if it doesn't chart).

Of course, could also be a way of working around Larry's surgery, putting something out without too much pressure.

i think we're reading a bit too much into this. (shocking for interference - i know)

i don't see this as Larry bowing out at all. but i do see this as an adjustment on HOW they tour - larry's physical issues aren't new. and bono made the same "some of us are broken" quote around the same time he started teasing the Vegas/Achtung Baby shows.

i think it's more or less Larry saying that if anyone is expecting a U2 tour in 2023, you can forget about it. but i don't think they'd be teasing the Vegas shows and getting them planned if they didn't feel confident that they'd be able to pull them off.

i would still say that the biggest threat to their not being shows in the last quarter of 2023 in Vegas would be inflation and supply chain issues. it wouldn't take much to throw the schedule off. even the slightest of construction delays could push this from September 2023 into January of 2024.

Well it brings back the old question then; they can't even announce or sell tickets to these Sphere shows until Larry is cleared by doctors and personally willing to commit. If he's not in a place to make that decision until the summer, that might be too late for November shows, especially if they were meant to be the inaugural act for the venue.

But you know better than me about the sales/show date window. I know they're longer than ever (tickets sold 6, 9 months in advance), but do they have to be? Is this venue a special case because they technically haven't booked anyone yet?

yea i mean for a local show you can get away with a much smaller window - but for a show expected to be a tourist driver you'd want a longer runway. i'd say minimum 6 months from on sale to first show. which for a rumored September first show date would mean a March announcement / ticket on sale date.

at the same time they can't actually make an announcement and/or put tickets on sale until they are 100% certain that the venue will be ready.

i have very little doubt that there is a marketing plan, website and the works already done and waiting to be rolled out - but there is a specific construction-based threshold they must pass before they can be certain on the dates.

i'd venture to guess that much of the show is already well into development as well - if not in it's final stages (minus band rehearsal, of course)

if there was any thought that the band wouldn't be physically able to do the show? i highly doubt bono would be teasing the gigs in recent interviews. so unless Larry had a very recent turn for the worse, as i said above, i think we're reading too much into the quote from the WaPo article.

Last edited:
I'd hope that his comments mean that he's just asking the band to be more accommodating with recording/touring schedules rather than having a strict itinerary.

Getting back to the 'rock' sound, whatever happened to this?

And then there was the clip from the Fender advert featuring The Edge, featuring an unheard tune around 4.45.

Promising sounds nonetheless if they don't decide to tack on some cringe worthy cliches and cut and paste Tedder choruses into it.

I'd hope that his comments mean that he's just asking the band to be more accommodating with recording/touring schedules rather than having a strict itinerary.

Getting back to the 'rock' sound, whatever happened to this?

And then there was the clip from the Fender advert featuring The Edge, featuring an unheard tune around 4.45.

Promising sounds nonetheless if they don't decide to tack on some cringe worthy cliches and cut and paste Tedder choruses into it.

i feel like the first clip, from the tweet, ended up as part of The Blackout.

if there was any thought that the band wouldn't be physically able to do the show? i highly doubt bono would be teasing the gigs in recent interviews. so unless Larry had a very recent turn for the worse, as i said above, i think we're reading too much into the quote from the WaPo article.

You're right, a couple of nights in the same venue, every few weeks for a few months isn't the same as a world tour.

You're right, a couple of nights in the same venue, every few weeks for a few months isn't the same as a world tour.

Uhm. He needs surgery and likely wont be there in 2018 live. Does it sound to you like it matters how many shows happen ?

My biggest issue with the WaPo piece is this:

IMG_5938.JPG

A take so bad I didn’t even notice it was credited to the wrong album until just now.

The key line is from Larry, I believe:

The interview he gave for this story was, he said, his first in seven years. He’s blunt — he says if the band plays live in 2023 it will likely be without him, as he needs surgery to continue playing

So I don't think we're likely to see any talk show/small performances to promote SOS. And it makes me wonder whether those Vegas Sphere dates are legit. Of course, November 2023 isn't the same as May 2023.

Also:

As the ’80s wore on and U2’s stature grew, band decisions would be made by what they called the “Politburo,” named after the policymaking committees in most communist systems. In Mullen’s view, the system that served the band well for so long has now become more of a benevolent dictatorship.

Larry not on board, stated publicly. One could hypothesize (as some have before) that SOA is intended to be their final album, and it's being held a bit for that reason.

Sphere residence is likely in jeopardy. Since this is the first they came out with this , Larry' s condition probably worsened considerably quickly/fairly recently. Unless anyone genuinely thinks live U2 means no Larry.

What else is new ? Larry hated the business side ...pretty much always. SOA=last album theory sounds a little far fetched. They are 60 +, not 70 or 80.

trying to wrap my head around this logic...

it's stupid to think about the end game because they're only 60. also larry is dying and one line in an article means he absolutely won't be available until 2037, with no wiggle room whatsoever, even though a gig at the end of next year has been teased as recently as last week.

Just seems like Larry is quite sure he won’t be playing any live shows any time soon. He didn’t just speak of not doing a tour but says if they play live shows in 2023 it would be without him. If he said he wouldn’t be able to do a tour in 2023 then I’d take the comments differently. He may just be leaning on the side of caution but it seems a bit of big statement to make when he’s not the type to just say something for the sake of it. Nothing definite but my money would be on no vegas in 2023, maybe very early 2024 is a possibility. Just my own thoughts now based on what’s been said.

I'd actually prefer 2024, for personal reasons.

I'm not saying it isn't possible for Larry's surgery to push the shows back, merely that it would be silly to put all eggs into one basket based off one quote without any follow up.

And if the venue is ready to open but U2 aren't, then the venue will obviously have to find someone else to open it. It's not going to just sit empty waiting for them, which would likely have an impact on the plans as a whole.

There are billions of dollars riding on this venue - which is why I hesitate to think that Bono would still be teasing the shows in recent interviews without a pretty good idea that they were moving forward.

He also opened his solo show in a venue that is owned by the same company as the Sphere and is a testing site for the audio technology the venue plans on using. Hardly coincidental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom