Songs of Experience - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article in latest Q magazine.... No definite release date. Song titles listed (did we already know all these?) are:

Instrument Flying
The little things that you give away
Much more better
Civilisation
Landlady
Where the shadows fall
Red flag day
Get out of your own way
The morning after innocence

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wow they didn't even fix title for Much More Better

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Also cool that Edge mentions them just 'going for it', and that it's something Eno would want them to do, still referencing Zooropa.

But he doesn't say that's what they're doing. Spending 4-6 weeks to finish songs they've been working on for a long time, and then writing more doesn't really constitute going for it, working quickly, and not second guessing themselves.

I dunno, i guess it depends how you define 'going for it'. I know what you mean, if they've been working on stuff for this long and still want to take time with it, that comes off as more hesitant than going for it.

But we know they basically scrapped tour plans for most of 2016 in order to finish SoE. If they get it released at the end of the year, that's only a 2 year gap between albums, which is a massive step up from the time between NLOTH and SoI. So I think i'd cut them some slack when it comes to having the songs they've been working on so far, yet still being keen to write yet more stuff, and make that the priority rather than touring, which shows some urgency behind completing the album.

Also, i kind of interpreted Edge's comments as them having songs, but wanting to write even more, rather than doubting, then re-working the existing material; the former is more forgivable imo.

The most 'go for it' thing to do might be to release the album right now, but i think by u2's standards, i think what they're doing instead still qualifies as that kind of mentality.

So because i was bored, and we now have 11 songs, and based on what we know about them, i took a (very wild) stab at guessing a provisional tracklist:

Civilisation – Album opener; “colossal” drums
The Morning After Innocence - ties into SoI
The Little Things That You Give Away – Anthem quality
Instrument Flying – Motorik beat (like beautiful day + Invisible?)
Red Flag Day
Tightrope – “Very epic, very up”
Get Out of Your Own Way
Landlady
Untitled (Volcano II?) – riff heavy, links back to volcano on SoI
Much More Better – Deeply personal
Where the Shadows Fall

Is this (the song names and descriptions) any more or any less than we knew before previous albums came out? I wonder if the amount of info is any indication of progress..

So because i was bored, and we now have 11 songs, and based on what we know about them, i took a (very wild) stab at guessing a provisional tracklist:

Civilisation – Album opener; “colossal” drums
The Morning After Innocence - ties into SoI
The Little Things That You Give Away – Anthem quality
Instrument Flying – Motorik beat (like beautiful day + Invisible?)
Red Flag Day
Tightrope – “Very epic, very up”
Get Out of Your Own Way
Landlady
Untitled (Volcano II?) – riff heavy, links back to volcano on SoI
Much More Better – Deeply personal
Where the Shadows Fall

Is this (the song names and descriptions) any more or any less than we knew before previous albums came out? I wonder if the amount of info is any indication of progress..

nice - this sums up everything we know about the sound of these songs.

you can add "acoustic" to Much More Better too. akin to Song for Someone, perhaps?

nice - this sums up everything we know about the sound of these songs.

you can add "acoustic" to Much More Better too. akin to Song for Someone, perhaps?

Thanks! Hmm, well they called 'Much more better' an "acoustic demo", and mention that each song is in "various states of completion", so i figure it might only be acoustic because it was a bare-bones early version.

But it could totally stay acoustic, especially as a "deeply personal" tune... besides, they do seem to like well written songs over riffs/arrangements now!

I'm interested to hear this drum breakdown Bono is talking about. As we all know, Larry has never been a flashy player in terms of fills. Eno and flood have referred to "strength through limitation" and Larry being "basically wrong" with his playing. It would be cool to see him try to let loose a bit.

Last edited:
Same here. The people complaining about it got annoying quickly. Sure, have it available for free, but don't mindfuck people by automatically putting it in their libraries. :wink:
How do I get rid of this U2 crap in my ITunes arghhh!!!!

They won't actually release a song called Much More Better, right? Right?

Well, I've heard plenty of songs with goofy titles that I actually ended up liking. So there might be hope here, even though I don't think it's a bad title necessarily...

Stupid song titles =/= Quality of the songs

The Electric Co is a stupid song title, but an awesome song.
I threw a brick through a window, same thing.

I never judge a song title until I hear the song. Some songs like Get on your boots, Stand up comedy and The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) are examples of stupid song titles AND stupid songs.

Not only that but u2 has a history of bad working titles. This couple with modern misjournalism, I mean is there an actual viable source for this Most Mostly wtf title, I haven't been paying attention.

"Much more better" is exactly the kind of thing someone who says "ATM machine" would say

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

The Electric Co is a great time for a song inspired by psychiatry and ECT

"Great title." Fucking autocorrect.

"Much more better" is exactly the kind of thing someone who says "ATM machine" would say

:rolleyes: you've become that person, have you?

If you can't understand colloquialisms being used in music you should just give up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom