Songs of Experience - Let The Chart Speculation Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big climbs on uk iTunes

Songs of experience deluxe 24
Joshua tree 72
U2 18 99
Songs of experience standard 103
Best of 80-90 147

Wow got it at number 13 now!

And back to 52 Jesus what's happening with iTunes? It's obviously making a massive rise but keeps shooting it back down

I've got 13 now aswell

Joshua tree 57
U2 18 58
Soe standard 77
Best of 80-90 106

That's quite some rise, I am actually a little shocked by it, don't think will last to long without anymore push but just shows they can still sell records if they try

Think it can stay high this week and maybe even xmas week with sales over xmas but when the new year hits it will drop.

Plus it's repeated over xmas at 11pm so people will watch it then aswell

Could do with dropping a new single around January

Think it can stay high this week and maybe even xmas week with sales over xmas but when the new year hits it will drop.

Plus it's repeated over xmas at 11pm so people will watch it then aswell

Could do with dropping a new single around January

Fingers crossed mate, just imagine what another appearance somewhere could do for it though, sounds sad but honestly made up with that show tonight, proved they still have it

The album is too good to bomb like it has. The LIBTAIIW performance alone from the BBC should shift a lot of copies. Let's hope.

Bomb? It was the #1 album in the US and didn't fall totally off a cliff in week 2.

That's a roaring success for a band in their 42nd year of existence.

I'm going to have to second headache here.

Lets put some things in perspective:

U2 hasn't had big "hit" song since Vertigo and haven't had a mild hit song since Sometimes You you Can't Make it on your own (#97). Yes, Boots hit 39 and Magnificent hit 79 and Ordinary Love hit 84 but they didn't get there from sustained airplay or sales like Vertigo and Sometimes You Can't Make It. The NLOTH songs had big 1st weeks sales from core fans and then fell like a rock.

Even without a hit song in 11-12 years, they still opened up #1 in the US, Canada and a slew of other countries with a NEW album. Perhaps most impressive is they had the number 1 album world wide last week with sales near half a million copies.

A "bomb" in the US would be top 10 opening and then dropping out of the top 40 the next week and they are FAR from that. Here is some context....The Killers latest album opened at number 1 on 10/14/17 in the US and then fell to #59 the next week!

In the US, they will end the year in the top 40 best selling albums with only 4 weeks clocked in.

UK I was talking about.

A #5 opening in the U.K. was surprising to me as well. That used to be their biggest or one of their biggest strongholds.

BBC might boost it back into the Top 10....well see

Soe 13 on uk iTunes now. Been 11 since the show finished last night. Looks like it's peaked. If the BBC special had been on the week it came out they may have got to number 1. Definitely had a better chance anyway

Any UK iTunes chart number is only a small % of all the week's hard copy buys, digital downloads and streaming site stats/numbers so it is never wholly accurate of a final UK Album or Singles chart position as TBT #16 position kinda proved didn't it...

If anything and given the time of year, this BBC thing will probably have more effect on the more popular elements of the back catalogue (JT, 18, Best of etc) than this album.

And it's dropped to #28

SOE reg #47
U2 18 is #118
The Joshua Tree #147

Last edited:
Has anybody actually done a country by country comparison of U2s total album sales to what country they were purchased in?

I don't think the UK has been that strong for U2 in the last 20 years or so, from ATYCLB onward it has got progressively weaker.

Has anybody actually done a country by country comparison of U2s total album sales to what country they were purchased in?

I don't think the UK has been that strong for U2 in the last 20 years or so, from ATYCLB onward it has got progressively weaker.

Bomb did very well, sold over a 1.2 million in the uk. Which was higher then all that you can't leave behind. No line on the horizon had a massive opening weekend, did 150k. But then it dropped really bad and ended up selling over 300k, which when u think it sold 150 in its first week, 300k was poor.

Singles in the bomb era up until get on your boots all did really well. Always guaranteed top 5. Get on your boots got to number 11 i think it was. Ever since then they struggle to get in the top 40

Songs of experience seems to be doing well to very well around the world but here it hasn't done very well at all.

The standard version has just overtook the deluxe on ukitunes and the highest the standard version Has been

Just to put above in perspective the standard version was at 60 something it is now at 27, that's a massive increase again

Back
Top Bottom