Songs nobody likes but you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnFire

Acrobat
I don't often start a thread but what the hell, it's Friday and I'm bored. I don't know if this has been done to death or not but since the disliked song threads seem to be popular, how about those mangy mutt songs that only you think are worth adopting.

Mine in no particular order are as follows:

Elevation- Yeah, I know the Whoo-Hoos can get on your nerves after awhile and the high-fly-sky rhyme scheme is kinda lame but the song is just plain fun damn it.

Stuck- I admit, I didn't really like it at first but when the album came out I was just going through my upteenth job layoff and found I could really relate to it. Love the acoustic version.

Bullet (studio version)- I know, everybody loves the live version but I'm of the opinion that it can't be good live unless it was good in the studio. I know some live boots are absolutely spectacular but when I listen to the R&H live version it sounds dated to me with Bono going off on Hill Street Blues, etc. I often skip the first three tracks of JT just to get where the album starts getting really good. Which brings me to...

Trip- I can understand indifference to this song but not the hostility. It's lively, got the bluesy harmonica, vague circular narrative and if it wasn't on the album side two of JT would approach Joy Division levels of depression. What's not to like?

Mysterious Ways- Even a dorky, uncoordinated white boy like me might be inspired to get up and boogie to this one. It was never overplayed, One was but not MW.

Good choices - I agree with Mysterious Ways, Trip Through Your Wires, and Stuck.

I don't understand what the deal is about Stuck In A Moment... The acoustic version is pretty good, and I like the studio version (with the possible exception of the horns? lol). It contradicts itself because it's a sugary sweet pop song about suicide! :huh: LOL. I do understand the hatred towards the American football music video, though... Blech. Overall, I do like the song. Bittersweet.

Other ones I like that don't seem to be popular are Trying To Throw Your Arms Around the World and In A Little While. LOL. :reject:

Last edited:
4th Of July. I love how atmospheric it is, and it links Promenade and Bad so perfectly that the three feel like one track.

I absolutely love Trip through your wires! Such a great song I also really like Who is going to ride your wild horses...I know I know super cheesy but I actually like it.:reject:

here's 5 that aren't among the most loved U2 songs, that I like:

The Refugee
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Miami
Trip Through Your Wires

yimou said:
Who´s gonna ride your wild horses

Yimou, I dont think that most people dont like that song. Anyway, I hope so. It's a fantastic song in my book. I luv everything about this song, especially the bridge ("AHH, the deeper I spin..."). It's just one of those songs that I can put on repeat without being bored. WGRYWH rules!!...Did I say that AB rules too? :wink:

MrsDarcy said:
North and South of the River:drool: In love with that song!!!

Have you heard that acoustic version they did with the piano? i think it might be the best live rendition of a song that they have changed, its really awesome.

mkdominatr said:

Have you heard that acoustic version they did with the piano? i think it might be the best live rendition of a song that they have changed, its really awesome.

!! Where can you find that, pray tell?? I'd love to hear it :drool:

As for a song I like that not too many people are especially keen on...I'd have to go with the recent "A Man and a Woman" Goodstuff, don't care what anyone says...as is "The Playboy Mansion" and "The Wanderer" :yes:

With a Shout. It's a great song for me, but a lot of people(including the band) hates it with a passion.

djerdap said:
With a Shout. It's a great song for me, but a lot of people(including the band) hates it with a passion.

With A Shout is an awesome song. The drums at the start are heaps of fun.

The Refugee: those drums..... :rockon:

Red Light: I do not really understand the hate for this song. Love that sax solo!!! There's no other U2 song I know of (or nothing I can think of right now) with a sax in it.

Miami: Best percussion ever!!! Clayton & Mullen :rockon:

OnFire said:
I don't often start a thread but what the hell, it's Friday and I'm bored. I don't know if this has been done to death or not but since the disliked song threads seem to be popular, how about those mangy mutt songs that only you think are worth adopting.

Mine in no particular order are as follows:

Elevation- Yeah, I know the Whoo-Hoos can get on your nerves after awhile and the high-fly-sky rhyme scheme is kinda lame but the song is just plain fun damn it.

Stuck- I admit, I didn't really like it at first but when the album came out I was just going through my upteenth job layoff and found I could really relate to it. Love the acoustic version.

Bullet (studio version)- I know, everybody loves the live version but I'm of the opinion that it can't be good live unless it was good in the studio. I know some live boots are absolutely spectacular but when I listen to the R&H live version it sounds dated to me with Bono going off on Hill Street Blues, etc. I often skip the first three tracks of JT just to get where the album starts getting really good. Which brings me to...

Trip- I can understand indifference to this song but not the hostility. It's lively, got the bluesy harmonica, vague circular narrative and if it wasn't on the album side two of JT would approach Joy Division levels of depression. What's not to like?

Mysterious Ways- Even a dorky, uncoordinated white boy like me might be inspired to get up and boogie to this one. It was never overplayed, One was but not MW.
Shit man you've chosen a real bag of spanners there,except for stuck(i quite like that one...............waits or hostile reactions)

Zootlesque said:
The Refugee: those drums..... :rockon:

WOH-WOAH! :rockon:

Red Light: I do not really understand the hate for this song.

The "dah dah dah" ladies. If it weren't for them or some really bad singing on Bono's behalf, that would be a really good song. At this point, I'm apathetic towards it. I'll listen to it, but I don't have strong feelings either way and think it would have been better as a b-side.

Mysterious Ways - This song is soooo cool. I love pretty much everything about it. Well, I don't like the chorus much. The live version is so awesome.. ahh yes...

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - I think I'm in looove. The bridge is, IMO, one of the best bridges U2 has ever done. Then when he sings "come on now looove, don't you loock baaack", oh my goodness. That note is hard to hit! Yummmm.

Love Rescue Me - I can kinda inderstand how it's not popular but I like it alot either way. I love near the end when he starts to really put his awesome voice to work. Very cool. I don't really like the "I have cursed thy rod and staff" line though...

Elevation - I do not understand the hate for this song at all. Probably one of their catchiest songs ever. Also, the WOO-HOO's... I love em. It seems like they were the trademark of the Elevation era. Some of the rhyming is kinda cheesy, but it still sounds cool IMO. It's also the best show opener in my eyes.

Stuck in a Moment - Easily one of my favorite songs ever. This is the song that got me into U2 you see, so I may be a little biased. Still awesome to this day though. Extremely emotional for me in my relationship with my girlfriend.

All Because of You - This isn't extremely unpopular, but it's one of the least appreciated on HTDAAB from what I've seen. The verses leave a little to be desired, as do some of the lyrics, but I dunno, for me the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Once the bridge kicks in, oh boy it's awesome! One of the Edge's best solos IMO and Bono's wailing is awesome. You gotta to play this song LOUD.

Zooropa - Again, not hated, but way under-appreciated. Kinda unique in the structure. The form is AB, I don't know of any other U2 songs with the same form. The slogans Bono sings are really clever. Then when he gets into "and I have no compass, and I have no map..." section it gets super duper awesome. So catchty. Plus the lyrics are really cool. Ahh, such a clever, moody song. Me likey!

The Playboy Mansion - IMO this is probably U2's most underated song ever. One of my favorites off of Pop. Like Zooropa, it's got some really clever analogies on modern pop culture. Social commentary rocks (when it's not protesting about war. Annooyyiing)!! Edge'd slide guitar is pretty darn cool, and when Bono sings "then will there e no time for sorrow? then will there e no time for shame?" it makes me wanna cry. It's so nice...

Slug - Not much to say about this except for it's really relaxing.

Elvis ate America: I don't know anybody that likes this song.

I Threw a Brick: :drool:

Re: Re: Songs nobody likes but you

boystupidboy said:

Shit man you've chosen a real bag of spanners there,except for stuck(i quite like that one...............waits or hostile reactions)

What country are you from bsb? (UK, right?) I'm just dying to throw out "bag of spanners" in casual conversation around here. Just to be sure I've got the context right, here in the US would the translation be "dude! Those songs suck, except for Stuck"?

Haha, I agree with every song mentioned in this thread (woohoo, a few more "Trip Through Your Wires" lovers! It's rare I'll find those-at least I'll find a few other people around here who like "Mysterious Ways" or "Stuck" or something like that, but rarely do I find a "Trip Through Your Wires" fan. Honestly, I don't understand the downright dislike of the song, either. It's a fun little song-second favorite song off of The Joshua Tree, after "With Or Without You"). I like all of those songs, too :) :up:.

Here's another one that's not overly popular that I like: "Electrical Storm".

Angela

I like most of 'em, actually.

• All of Boy is great. It's repetitive, but it's a good enough formula that I don't care.
  • All of October is great. Every track. It's repetitive too and mostly the same formula as Boy except refined a bit. I don't see why people single out "With A Shout" as the album's loser; it's not much different from, say, "Rejoice," which everyone loves. "I Threw A Brick" also probably has Larry's first memorable drum bit and a somehow wry guitar part. The "no one is wiser..." breakdown always catches me by surprise; the song starts out a little flimsy but shows some unexpected depth.
  • I don't like "Drowning Man" or "Red Light" on War (but think "The Refugee" is fun). This is probably my least favorite U2 album.
  • The Unforgettable Fire is perfect. It's silly to pick out "weak songs" on it. To play off Axver a bit, the whole thing's practically one big piece anyway. The point of the album is a little abstract, which I guess is why it tends to miss people. It isn't about lyrics or hooks or melodies (although there are some great ones; funny that the definitive Edge riff, "Pride," is on such an indistinct album), it's about mood and atmosphere.

"Elvis Presley and America" is this philosophy to its extreme (which is probably why it's the song that gets singled out the most); the music is just a slowed down backing track not even intended for the song, but it provides good ambience. The lyrics are completely improvised in one take and don't mean anything specifically, but Bono's emotive vocals definitely guide the song to something. It's a bizarre song that means something by meaning nothing, and it's an interesting dissection of music in that regard. I could go on about how good music is given meaning at least as much by the listener as by the artist, but I think I've done that in other threads before.
  • The Joshua Tree is also perfect. "Trip Through Your Wires" is absolutely vital to the record; it can't all be doom and gloom, and it fits in musically with the rest of the rootsy American sound of the album (I don't know why everyone thinks they were completely oblivious to the country until Rattle and Hum when The Joshua Tree is leaking with bluesy influences). I always skip "With or Without You," though; I don't think I needed to hear that song more than a few times. It's a lot of build-up for not much.
  • All of Rattle and Hum is pretty slick, even "Love Rescue Me" (which I actually think is one of the best; you guys are the only ones I know who constantly slag it off), although I think the live tracks, while good, mess up the flow and make the whole thing feel sloppy.
  • Achtung, Baby is nearly perfect; the album version of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" doesn't click for some reason. Neither do the Temple Bar Remixes, actually. Hmm. There's a good song in there somewhere, though.
  • Zooropa is very good, except "Some Days Are Better Than Others" reeks of filler. I didn't care for "Dirty Day" either until I heard the live performances and remixes, but now I think it's great.

"The Wanderer" kicks ass like you don't even know. The lyrics perfectly captured Johnny Cash's persona, and Cash's haggard voice brings it an authenticity Bono absolutely could not. The juxtaposition of the album's emotionless synths with Cash's voice, the gospel-like waves of background vocals, and the western-sounding guitar interlude is especially interesting (and effective); it gives it a modern sound (whereas the other elements would typically lend a rustic, nostalgic tone) without deflecting from the aged wisdom in Cash's delivery. The overall effect is this bizarre, vaguely apocalyptic look back at our world from someone who lived through all the static and the babel and found what really matters (which I think underscores the main themes of the album nicely).

Plus, it's Johnny Fucking Cash. I'm sorry, I love Bono (and think his version of "One" is the better of the two), but he couldn't capture all this the way Johnny did. There's a reason he's something of a legend.

Also, as a random thought, the eighties were mostly fascinated by America, but the nineties were all about Europe. The band seems to have turned its eye back to America (or, depending on how the rest of the decade goes, we might remember it as U2's African decade), but I think people often overlook how excited the band was about the "New Europe" and the hope of a unified world after the Berlin Wall fell (and Pop, of course, had heavily European influences).
  • The only good songs on Passengers project are "Slug," "Your Blue Room," "Beach Sequence," "Miss Sarajevo," and "Corpse." But they're really, really good.
  • Pop is fantastic except for "Miami" (and I don't care much for "If You Wear That Velvet Dress," but it's a nice listen when the mood's right). I agree that the album is incomplete, but I think that was a blessing disguised as a curse since the band tends to overthink their arrangements these days.

"The Playboy Mansion" is one of the best songs on it. The lyrics begin unpromisingly, but it collapses into a genuine yearning Bono hadn't captured so perfectly in years. The analogue made between the fake and the real, the Playboy Mansion and heaven, modern conveniences that we often mistake for life and what really matters in life, etc., works brilliantly once it all comes together. Groovy bassline too.
  • All That You Can't Leave Behind is mostly good too, although it took a while for "Stuck In A Moment That You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead" and "When I Look at the World" to register. "Stuck" has this obnoxiously poppy chorus, but I love Edge's guitar melodies, and Bono gives a good vocal performance even if the lyrics are a bit sappy. "Elevation" is an enjoyable throwaway that's dynamic enough to "elevate" it above the rest of the pop tripe of its time (the middle eight in particular is pretty clever), although I wish they'd drop it from their live set. I'm not sure the lyrics needed to be as dumb as "a mole digging in a hole" (has anyone found a Bible passage that this might allude to or anything like that we can take comfort in?), but they're mostly suitable.

"In A Little While" is my favorite track; it's a slick, groovy track, and it sounds so effortlessly stylish, rough enough to sound improvised but smooth enough to flow together wonderfully. "Wild Honey" is a fun acoustic romp with sweet chorus; it's the one song on the album you can't call overdone. Like "Trip," it's the track where the band reminds you life isn't so bad...before getting dark. "Grace" is the only track I would've left off. The bass melody is nice, but the lyrics are awful. I know the point was to keep it simple, but geez, he couldn't have done something more with it?
  • Bomb is great, except I don't care for "Crumbs From Your Table." The guitar sounds like Edge fed every riff he ever played into a machine that averaged them and spit out the most generic thing he could possibly strike in his mold.

Oh, and there's this song called "A Man and a Woman" that I can't even play anymore because the sheer sucking intensity pulls through my speakers and rearranges all my furniture, but that isn't so much a song as a destructive force.
I like most of the B-sides too. All the instrumentals except "Bass Trap," "Endless Deep," and "Bottoms" suck, though (unless we count remixes, in which case the David Holmes Mix of "Beautiful Day" and the Nasty Mix of "New York" are pretty cool).

I tend to think a lot of songs are way overrated, though. I like "Walk to the Water" fine, but it isn't nearly good enough to be an album track. "Mercy" is way too incomplete, and I can't even listen to it because it sounds like a rough demo. "Heartland" is great, but it isn't one of their best songs ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom