SOI Promotional Apearances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea.

Um

It was only two of them. It wasn't even U2. It was just U.

We could look at it that way. Or we could look at the fact that Bono and Edge don't typically go over that well when they're alone together on TV, at least in my humble opinion. Other than the St Patrick's Day TGBHF (which is the most brilliant thing ever) most of their duo performances are pretty darn underwhelming. Sometimes they appear to have been flogged into coming out and the performances are often dull and a little sloppy. But today they were having fun before they even walked out, were attentive and warm towards each other during the songs, and had a tight and expressive performance. I'm taking it as a good sign.

Thought it was funny when they were playfully pushing each other coming out. They seemed happy and relaxed in the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bono and The Edge, coming to you live from the set of Guitar Hero.

Tremendous first 2/3rds, Boner couldn't finish the deal with the last chorus.

That's going to be a hard song for him to song every night

He'll be fine, he's not singing it like it is on the album, he's extending the notes, which is why on that last chorus it sounds like he's out of it but it's more that he's skipped over words because he decided to hold the note instead. I'm sure the full band electric version he'll be less inclined to to that, he's just filling space. when it's a voice and a piano you have to do things to make it more dynamic.

He'll be fine, he's not singing it like it is on the album, he's extending the notes, which is why on that last chorus it sounds like he's out of it but it's more that he's skipped over words because he decided to hold the note instead. I'm sure the full band electric version he'll be less inclined to to that, he's just filling space. when it's a voice and a piano you have to do things to make it more dynamic.

Actually it's more like he's struggling to finish the song.

If you have an account at a U2 forum and don't love that EBW performance, then I have to question whether you have a pulse.

Thankfully not everyone have the same taste/vision about what they see/hear/experience.
Not only I don't like the solution U2 got for "Every Breaking Wave" (comparing what we already knew) as I don't think that these stripped versions do anything to improve what's damage (I even think it makes it even worse).

Also it's painful to see Bono needing to make a show off of his voice when maybe an stripped version (to me it had to be in guitar, not in a piano arpeggio) asked for a toned down vocal, eventually an octave lower.

Two good performances.

TMOJR sounds like a labored-over single. It's fine, but that's all.

EBW is special. It has that drama and sense of crisis we get in the best of U2.

Good stuff. They need to get out there and play this shit and let the songs fight back against the pomposity of the release.

Sent from

Thankfully not everyone have the same taste/vision about what they see/hear/experience.
Not only I don't like the solution U2 got for "Every Breaking Wave" (comparing what we already knew) as I don't think that these stripped versions do anything to improve what's damage (I even think it makes it even worse).

Also it's painful to see Bono needing to make a show off of his voice when maybe an stripped version (to me it had to be in guitar, not in a piano arpeggio) asked for a toned down vocal, eventually an octave lower.

Thankfully not everyone agrees with you

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Listening to EBW from 360 and yeah the chorus was a placeholder. Every time Bono would sing "hey hey now" I kept thinking he'd sing "don't dream it is over" next.

Listening to EBW from 360 and yeah the chorus was a placeholder. Every time Bono would sing "hey hey now" I kept thinking he'd sing "don't dream it is over" next.

Yep. Quite obviously not finished, and it's probably why they stopped playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I love this, but I'm afraid Bono will lose his voice if he sings like that every night during the tour. I'm pretty sure they'll go and play a full band version with Bono not going into over-dramatic singing. People will complain about that as well, I'm sure. Maybe they should play both versions alternatively.

Thanks for those links! :up:

Is there a link to the interview as well? I couldn't find it on You Tube.

See above.
There is an Italian translator talking over what Bono and the Edge are saying though.

Thankfully not everyone has the same taste/vision about what they see/hear/experience.

Yeah, to each their own.

Sometimes I like acoustic.
Other times I think : "Next".
I guess it depends on the time, mood, song, etc.

I really liked this.

I think The Miracle done acoustically doesn't do the track any particular favours. Although having said that, the lyrics come to life slightly more in this version.

EBW acoustic definitely has something about it. Very cool to see Edge playing the piano throughout & Bono's yearning voice could silence any room full of people.

That would've been better.

Slipknot's first couple of albums are superb :up:

I won't be seeing them on this tour however. Both bands are past it. Unlike U2.

Never been a big fan of slipknot but i use to love Korn. When i got into u2 around the year 2000 i got into nu metal. I loved bands like linkin park,limp bizkit,papa roach etc. the whole nu metal thing was a fad though and it soon passed over? i still listen to linkin park now and again though.

The first two proper albums i got into was atyclb and hybird theroy by linkin park.

Is the Graham Norton show not actually recorded on the Wednesday 15th or Thursday 16th? Definitely not live. This still allows for a 4 or 5 day gap to maybe do some US shows?

I don't think they'll be doing any US shows until the tour.
Of course, I could be very wrong.

In this forum there's this myth that a song is not finished: if it doesn't have a sing along chorus, if it doesn't have enough appeal for radio airplay, if it doesn't have Bono's cliché'd lyrics, and if it doesn't have an ABABCB structure.
Is that why "Every Breaking Wave" was included in NLOTH's tracklist and excluded in the "last minute" from it?
To me, not only the "hey hey now" do not bother me as I think that the "I don't know if I'm that strong, etc..." and the lack of a proper radio-airplay-typical-chorus is waaaaay better than some of Bono's cheesiest lyrics. I only don't feel ashamed for Bono for writing lyrics such as «Baby every dog on the street knows that we're in love with defeat» (in fact, the whole chorus is painful) because he's done even worse. In fact, I think that folks here do not complain about it and uncritically accept it as a lyrical masterpiece because Bono has set the standard so low - specially over the past few years (let's not forget the averageness of "Mercy" original chorus transformed into the grievous «You wanna kill me and I wanna die/We were meant for each other, you and I/Like time in a bed of rust/Like the rhyme of love and lust»).

Is the Graham Norton show not actually recorded on the Wednesday 15th or Thursday 16th? Definitely not live. This still allows for a 4 or 5 day gap to maybe do some US shows?

Im pretty sure its recorded on a thursday. Jools holland is on next week so im persuming that will be recorded this week sometime.

The bands doing jo whiley at the bbc on wednesday

Back
Top Bottom