SOI Moments That Give You Chills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"And I'm a long long way from your Hill of Calvary..."
"You took me by the hand, I thought that I was leading you..."
"We come and go, stolen days you don't give back..."
"If you go!" (of course)
The amazing guitar/keyboard sound right before "I have a will for survival" on the first two verses of "The Troubles."

Precisely 1:28 and again at 3:49 on SLAB. :combust: :drool: (There are others, too, among "Iris", "Troubles", RBW & CR, but nothing else for the time being tops these two sections.)

Chills might not be the right word, but this hits home given the times we live in:

"Metal crash I can’t tell what it is
But I take a look and now I’m sorry I did"

Iris at 3:40 I find emotional :sad:

"You took me by the hand
I thought that I was leading you
But it was you made me your man
Machine, I dream where you are

Iris standing in the hall
She tells me I can do it all"

Agreed. For me, Iris, particularly that final coda of "Iris standing on the strand, she buries a boy beneath the sand..." part.... wow. Being a new father I can totally relate to that and it hits you right in the chest.

At first I just kinda thought that Iris was a nice little song, with pretty OK lyrics.

I don't know what changed, but I almost can't even listen to this part anymore, because it makes me feel so stupidly emotional.

"Iris standing in the hall..." evokes such an image, it really does.

I think things changed when I was writing my review of the album up and I made some allusion to a desire not to know what Bono feels like, losing a parent. And then suddenly every time I heard the song, I started thinking of my mom and going to the beach as a kid (I'm from a city on one of the Great Lakes) and playing in the sand and whatnot, and now I just can't get through it without my eyes tearing up. I also just permanently moved 2,000 miles away from home and am generally missing my parents a lot, so that's probably part of it as well.

I think things changed when I was writing my review of the album up and I made some allusion to a desire not to know what Bono feels like, losing a parent. And then suddenly every time I heard the song, I started thinking of my mom and going to the beach as a kid (I'm from a city on one of the Great Lakes) and playing in the sand and whatnot, and now I just can't get through it without my eyes tearing up. I also just permanently moved 2,000 miles away from home and am generally missing my parents a lot, so that's probably part of it as well.

Lost my mother as a teenager...one of the early lines about "the ache in my heart/is so much a part of who I am" is basically the same -- I mean identical -- description I've used. I haven't gotten all emotional listening to Iris maybe because I can't fully go there after all these years.

She tells me I can do it all
Iris wakes to my nightmares
Don’t fear the world it isn’t there

Iris playing on the strand
She buries the boy beneath the sand
Iris says that I will be the death of her
It was not me

Iris… Iris…

Free yourself, to be yourself if only you could see yourself
Free yourself, to be yourself if only you could see…

EBW

AT the 3:10 mark coming out of the bridge. Edge's guitar = first chill, Then again at 3:20 Bono singing -
If you go your way and I go mine
Are we soooooo, are we so helpless against the tide.

Ugh. His delivery on that is just one of the best thing he's done in many, many years.

YES :cute:

I've listened to "Iris" and "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" back to back a few times...powerful tribute to both of Bono's parents.

Speaking of The Miracle, every time I hear the intro I envision the crowd chanting along, waiting for the show to begin, and then the boys finally running out... I really hope they open with that song.

This is perhaps the exact opposite of what I actually like/want to happen in every possible way.

Congratulations, you have met literally the polar opposite music fan. I guess that's something, eh?

I don't really like the chanting on the Miracle. I think the song would be much more powerful if it opened with the crashing guitar. It's probably their weakest opener aside from Vertigo. I love the song though.

I get chills a few times in Every Breaking Wave, and in the lead up to the chorus in Song For Someone.

The Angelus bells on California and the "ba-ba-Barbara" repetition -- now there'd be a way to open a concert (and I would have put it as the first track on the album myself too).

She tells me I can do it all
Iris wakes to my nightmares
Don’t fear the world it isn’t there

Iris playing on the strand
She buries the boy beneath the sand
Iris says that I will be the death of her
It was not me

Iris… Iris…

Free yourself, to be yourself if only you could see yourself
Free yourself, to be yourself if only you could see…

You wouldn't think this would after much, but it changes a lot for me that the final lyrics are actually *she said* free yourself, to be yourself.

Sounds a lot less corny in the context of being some form of find words from his mother.

That's one of a few "mistakes" I've noticed in the album booklet so far.

This is perhaps the exact opposite of what I actually like/want to happen in every possible way.

Congratulations, you have met literally the polar opposite music fan. I guess that's something, eh?

It's not the end of the world for fans of the band's older material. They can always watch ZOO Sydney and enjoy the back catalog.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

You wouldn't think this would after much, but it changes a lot for me that the final lyrics are actually *she said* free yourself, to be yourself.

Sounds a lot less corny in the context of being some form of find words from his mother.

That's one of a few "mistakes" I've noticed in the album booklet so far.

Hmmm, had been wondering about those lines and perspective.

Also was wondering about "if only you could see yourself" -- is that her talking to him, or is it him responding to her and it's punctuated as "if only you could see, yourself."

So many moments, but particularly the falsetto in Sleep Like A Baby... sounds like an angelic choirboy and gives me chills every time.

"You've got eyes that can see right through me, your not afraid of anything they've seen"

Chills every time

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hmmm, had been wondering about those lines and perspective.

Also was wondering about "if only you could see yourself" -- is that her talking to him, or is it him responding to her and it's punctuated as "if only you could see, yourself."

Well, if it's a quotation, it makes sense that she'd be speaking to him as an older, "wiser" person, so "Free yourself to be, if only you could see, yourself." could make sense. It's just as likely the punctuation is inccorect, of course, but either version speaks of someone older trying to explain the world to someone much younger.

Well, if it's a quotation, it makes sense that she'd be speaking to him as an older, "wiser" person, so "Free yourself to be, if only you could see, yourself." could make sense. It's just as likely the punctuation is inccorect, of course, but either version speaks of someone older trying to explain the world to someone much younger.

Yes, that makes sense now.

So many, both musically and lyrically, but as an experimenting agnostic who grew up a Babtist, the following line grabs me by the soul:

And I’m a long long way from your Hill of Calvary
And I’m a long way from where I was and where I need to be

Bono's delivery when he says "Iris" gets me every time.

Edge coming in with his crazy, overdrive guitar in Sleep Like a Baby.

Edge's guitar intro to This Is Where.

Oh and this:

"Iris says that I will be the death of her
It was not me"

Ugh, heart wrenching.

Back
Top Bottom