SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was the first thing I thought of the first time I heard that "OHHH!" part! I'm not knocking the song, or Country music, just saying. U2 is known for conquering new frontiers, so I wouldn't put it past them (I will, at this time, predict a CMA nomination for U2).

Didn't Sting get some sort of award for helping Toby Keith with his version of I'm So Happy, I Can't Stop Crying?

Just to go off on a bit of a tangent - can anyone guess what happened with the other rumoured songs (song titles):

Civilisation (I think this may have become The Blackout),
Tightrope,
Morning after Innocence (LIAWHL?),
Mount Zion,
Instrument Flying,
Where the Shadows Fall,
others?

Edit: Looks like Morning after Innocence became TLTTGYA

Listen #4 now on my commute home.

On Love Is All... , is the distorted background vocal singing "there is a light?" If so, cool tie-in to bridge SOI and then also close the album with 13.

Wow Cori! I think you’re right. Very nice catch. After reading Headaches post about Lights of Home and some other insights, and now this, you can see the planning and care that went into this album.

Really cool

Any guesses at what happened to Morning After Innocence /Lead Me In The Way I Should Go are just that... guesses.

Is that your fountain pen, navy with a nib of gold? You never could write so well or do anything you were told on 10 Cedarwood Road. I'm your older self, the song of experience, I've come to ask for some help from your song of innocence. Lead me in the way I should go. I'm running out of chances to blow, that's what you told me and you should know. Lead me in the way I should be. Unravel the mystery of the heart and its defense, the morning after innocence

Those lyrics don't show up anywhere, and we never heard the music, so it could have become one of these songs, or it could still be floating around out there somewhere on the cutting room floor.

There's no fillers in this album. Solid stuff from the lads.
My 2 cents that the album sounded like it is from The XX.

Any guesses at what happened to Morning After Innocence /Lead Me In The Way I Should Go are just that... guesses.

Those lyrics don't show up anywhere, and we never heard the music, so it could have become one of these songs, or it could still be floating around out there somewhere on the cutting room floor.

Didn’t morning after innocence morph into Little Things?

Have listened thru 1.5 times now (yes...with 3 kids I count half listens [emoji3]).

Gotta say I am so impressed. It feels both fresh and throwback simultaneously. They have accomplished something here. If this is the last big album/tour cycle they are going out on a high.

I am loving summer of love and red flag day a ton! However, I feel blasphemous for suggesting that landlady and love is bigger just don’t do it for me.

Love is bigger feels a bit corny to me and landlady...well I just keep thinking of adam sandler singing about the lunch lady and that image won’t leave :)

Anyway, early days yet but very pleasantly surprised by what this album is.

Looking forward to this tour - something tells me these songs will really take flight live.

Bear in mind it was recorded before the story broke. I bet he wouldn't have made the same comment today.

If he's investing in public / private companies through legit means, by all means go for it. Just stay away from shady offshore stuff Bono.

I love a point someone else made about the singles actually being required to stop this being a thoroughly depressing and heavy album. The levity they bring really completes the circle

Have seen this mentioned a few times, but can someone actually explain why they think Love is Bigger is "corny", aside from just stating it?

Have seen this mentioned a few times, but can someone actually explain why they think Love is Bigger is "corny", aside from just stating it?

A lot of people don't believe that love is that powerful. Anybody who's been in a bitter divorce, or had to deal with psychopaths who don't change, will find the title false. Of course Bono has 13 to handle that problem, because ultimately people do WANT love. That battle over love vs. power is ongoing with factions on each side. Bono's lyrics are mainly directed at people who can still feel love, or there's a small flame left that needs to be cultivated.

Yeah I am not sure why people think this is corny myself. Other songs I think could be considered corny but I think they sound good like The Showman :)

As someone who said that (and granted it was based on a single listen), my impression was that the music was too direct and obvious and the lyrics were simplistic.

The first impression was really that the band was trying to hard on this one.

I have been wrong before but I didn’t feel this was one I would go back to.

Probably not specific enough, but it’s something :)

I love a point someone else made about the singles actually being required to stop this being a thoroughly depressing and heavy album. The levity they bring really completes the circle

Nothing wrong with a sustained mood of darkness. The singles just aren't that good.

A lot of people don't believe that love is that powerful. Anybody who's been in a bitter divorce, or had to deal with psychopaths who don't change, will find the title false. Of course Bono has 13 to handle that problem, because ultimately people do WANT love. That battle over love vs. power is ongoing with factions on each side. Bono's lyrics are mainly directed at people who can still feel love, or there's a small flame left that needs to be cultivated.

I’m guessing those people must hate “God Part II” and “One” as well!

Corny lyrically is The Blackout - Fred, Ned, Jack, Zack.....I wish Bono didnt include these random rhyming names cause the rest of the track doesn't bother me :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom