SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While admittedly actually skipping songs in your first listen to the entire album? Yeah, ok.

Keep giving us the blow by blow, mate

let's not derail this thread into some sort of pissing contest. Axver doesn't like Best Thing and Get Out. we've all known that for a bit. not really a big deal. there are going to be people who don't like the album. that's also ok.

I want to get to the new shit, and I have a dinner appointment soon too. You got a problem with that?

And damn right I'm going to live post. Hope it pisses you off you miserable stalker prick.

It does amuse me, so I guess I should thank you for the morbid entertainment.

Wow, that version of Little Things is definitely better than the version I saw live in London. Seems Edge is doing a bit more in the studio and the end is powerful.

The Showman, like Red Flag Day, didn't really make much of a strong first impression.

One listen

I'll wait to listen again next week

But man, this is a band in their 40th year, still touring, still putting out new music/albums. As soon as U2 spoke of SOE after the SOI release we wanted it. We wanted to have some kind of spark. That spark that could ignite a classic.

SOE has something. I feel different after listening to this one. Haven't felt it since ATYLCAB (not a fan favorite around here but it had that spark). The feeling of new territory for this band. U2 delivered here

Not sure why everybody is hating on Landlady. Didn't seem nearly so bad and the ending was solid. Few clunker lyrics perhaps, but there's way worse in the stuff already released.

Not sure why everybody is hating on Landlady. Didn't seem nearly so bad and the ending was solid. Few clunker lyrics perhaps, but there's way worse in the stuff already released.

A couple of the initial responses here were “meh” on Landlady, but since then it’s gotten a lot of love

It's certainly getting love after this leak. I think it's one of the more pleasantly surprising tracks.

Defiant joy really does describe this album.

To me, this album is surprising, not sonically but melodically. Not a lot of U2 cliches. It's really a nice surprise,..I would have been satisfied with SOI part 2 but I really didn't think they had an album like this in them.

I might be with Bill Flanagan on this one...but ask me again in a year.

It s fresh... incredible after 40 years and 14 albums. However very hard to have an opinion after 1 listen.... it feels it could be a huge grower ala AB.... what a way To start the weekend. I need a beer! :hmm:

Love Is Bigger sounds really good. Good vocal performance. Wish I didn't hate the repeated title line.

13 is... I just don't know. Maybe better than Song for Someone? But unlike Lights of Home and American Soul, which repurpose bits from SOI within the context of something new, 13 feels more like a Song for Someone II. And there didn't need to be one, let alone two. I hate that he even keeps "this is a song for someone".

But in general, like SOI, the better part of the album is the second half. My highlights are Lights of Home, Summer of Love, Blackout, and Love Is Bigger. Best Thing is absolutely the worst song on the album and a poor ad for the whole thing.

What songs from the album do you all think will be the main features during the upcoming tour?

Most of them can show up. The question is how they translate live and fan reaction. Some great songs don't stay in because they can't be played live very well. I really hope all of them get some play.

Red Flag Day is going to sound great live. And I think a good pair of headphones for the album track will elevate the song even further.

The Showman is the only track from the new ones that didn't grab me, not saying it's a bad song, it just didn't connect on first listen. I'm pretty surprised though, wasn't quite expect them to deliver this, especially "Love Is All We Have Left". I didn't think we'd hear a track like that open one of their albums again and now makes me wish they'd have opened NLOTH with "Soon". That last leg (9-13) is also probably one of their strongest too.

Bono should show up with a bike and cast for The Showman. That will be his alter-ego. :giggle:

244207A000000578-0-image-a-26_1419462882296.jpg

Beautiful album. Delighted to see it stand on its own and not try to be reminiscent of any old U2 album. Love the line in 13 "are you tough enough to be kind?"

Just woke up. Where is everyone getting the album from?! I can't find anything on the usual torrent sites.

Back
Top Bottom