SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where the heck is he streaming this from? He has got a monster screen. A cinema? Would love to be there and experience the sound filling that big room.

Yeah, do it. I have been firmly in the no leak for me camp. But... almost finished my first listen. Up to Blackout (track 11). This is a good album. Way better than I expected. Sound is fine too re quality.
Do it man!
Yup. Midway through lights of home. Liking it.

OK, I'm going to say it after 4 listens (and drunk): best since Achtung Baby. Name an album since that is superior to this. I love Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB, but there's something extra to this one...Easily better than Bomb, Horizon and SOI.

OK, I'm going to say it after 4 listens (and drunk): best since Achtung Baby. Name an album since that is superior to this. I love Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB, but there's something extra to this one...Easily better than Bomb, Horizon and SOI.

obviously, you're drunk :wave:

Very good collection of songs... Showman is the only low for me until now... currently listening to Landlady (what a beautiful song!)

I know. But this is really a good album. What are the albums that would challenge this one for "Best since AB" title though?

pop, atyclb, bomb ( but , yeah , i'm not drunk :p )..and zooropa have 4 or 5 classics songs.

On GOOYOW. Have surprised myself not skipping the three that I have already heard. American Soul is going to be a big test

Know what you guys mean about the songs sounding better in the context of the album. Having all if Lamar in one place helps too.

Post 1000

pop, atyclb, bomb ( but , yeah , i'm not drunk :p )..and zooropa have 4 or 5 classics songs.

There are some serious lows on those three that I don't see on this one. And the heights are magnificent. Out of those 3 I would say ATYCLB is the greatest contenter. But this album has no "Grace." ;)

So how bad is the sound quality? I don't want to ruin the first listen of this album if the sound quality is really crap.

(Please say it's not that bad because I'm not sure if I have the willpower to restrain myself from listening to this shit right now! :hyper:)

So how bad is the sound quality? I don't want to ruin the first listen of this album if the sound quality is really crap.

(Please say it's not that bad because I'm not sure if I have the willpower to restrain myself from listening to this shit right now! :hyper:)

It's good enough. You'll love it, don't hold back.

My impressions of the new songs after ONE listen, so take with a massive pinch of salt!

Love Is All We Have Left - A nice, different kind of intro song. Not much happening but it's not that kind of track, and I kinda liked it.

Lights Of Home - The concept of them using Haim bothers me, the verses themselves are good, but the Haim riff, while a good riff, was never gonna sit well with my OCD (Please don't make this into a sampling debate!). Not that I didn't enjoy it though. The chorus on the other hand, I thought was great.

TBT, GOOYOW, AS - Same opinions as before.

Summer Of Love - More of a laid back sound like IALW and AMAAW. Some nice bits, but mostly indifferent, need more time and listens.

Red Flag Day - Sounds familiar, can't put my finger on it. Sounds ok but mostly indifferent, need more time and listens.

The Showman - Reminded me of Beach Boys or something. Super catchy chorus. One of the better songs on first listen.

The Little Things - Studio version seems interesting and quite different. Think I prefer it to the live version, but I bet most will disagree.

Landlady - Found it boring on first listen.

The Blackout - Same opinion as before.

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - The best track on the album on first listen. Instantly grabbed me. Most songs on here might take time to grow, but this one is an instant like for me.

13 (There Is A Light) - Just pointless, very pointless. The non-recycled bits sound nice enough.

Someone earlier posted that they heard the bonus tracks (Book of your heart etc). How? Can we have links to those please?

Overall: Not a masterpiece, about as good as SOI, which makes sense. Little Things is a late career triumph, and Love is Bigger might be that perfect pop song the band has been searching for. Only track that gets on my nerves is GOOYOW. Curious to hear Book of Your Heart now.

My first impressions for each track, sorted into hits and misses...

HITS
The Best Thing - That middle eight is still magic.
Little Things - Takes off like a rocket. The confessional feeling is compelling. I prefer the more anguished "And all my innocence has died" vocal in the Kimmel performance, though.
Landlady - I like how open and clean this sounds. Clearly defined melody.
Blackout - Still a great groove.
Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way - My favourite so far. Uplifting, hopeful, dynamic, catchy. Should be a single, no doubt about it.
13 - Love the dark string/guitar in the background. Could be a great closing track after The Troubles on a SOI fan track list.

SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN
Love is All We Have Left – Music not doing much, basically just Bono's voice. He sounds good. The repeated title gets a bit annoying.
Lights of Home – Solid album track, solid rocker. Clear meaning in lyrics.
Summer of Love – Reminds me of Summer Rain, but more mellow. Percussion sounds like a drink being shaken.
Red Flag Day – Loose, jumpy sound. I like how the song changes things up as it goes along. This one's not blowing my mind, though.

MISSES
Get Out of Your Own Way - I would probably like this more if it didn't sound so much like an inferior Beautiful Day (a top 5 U2 track for me). As it is, I find the "get out of your own way" sentiment a bit too obscure, can't relate to it.
American Soul - Starts with a good groove, the "na na na" bridge is kind of neat, but otherwise not much to enjoy here.
Showman - Something new from U2, but not doing anything for me so far.

Last edited:
So who are the interference members that the guy says can kiss his ass?

C'mon, own up! :D

Man I really like the verses to 13, but really hate how it doesn't have its own unique chorus :(

Also, anyone know why it's called 13? Other than being track 13? Does it have anything to do with Psalm 13?

recording! just FYI

Why the fuck did you record it? It wasn’t meant for that. That’s exactly WHY I streamed it on Facebook because the quality wasn’t going to be good enough and to avoid ripping. Take that shit down I’m serious. The album comes out next week.

This reminds me of the kid in high school whose parents go out of town, tells 3 friends to come over, them 200 people show up, and the cops are called.

Why the fuck did you record it? It wasn’t meant for that. That’s exactly WHY I streamed it on Facebook because the quality wasn’t going to be good enough and to avoid ripping. Take that shit down I’m serious. The album comes out next week.

:down: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom