SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a lot more over-the-top big U2 type stuff on this record. Even when it's not part of a great song, it's nice to hear the wind-up/sheer ambition.

I can imagine reasonable people disliking it, but I can't imagine anyone saying U2 didn't do their damnedest this time.

Over-the-top big U2 is my favorite U2!!

Wow...Love is Bigger gave me immediate goosebumps and is absolutely beautiful.

Honestly, someone earlier said there is something for everyone on this album, and they are right. It is very strong from start to finish. Even songs that I am not crazy about (TBT and American Soul) fit well on the album. It has classic-sounding U2, modern-sounding U2, distorted-sounding U2, and even some new stuff.

U2 left everything out there on this one, folks. I am sure some people won’t love it, because that’s the nature of the beast, but there is a lot of heart and passion in this album. You can feel that it’s a love-letter from Bono to those closest to him.

Last edited:
Here is my review, just one listen and I'm deep in the weeds here.

1. Love is All We have Left: Reminds me of Love is Blindness or perhaps some slow Depeche Mode. Great opener, loved it.

2. Lights of Home - My early favorite. Sounds like Led Zeppelin.

3. TBT - We already know - fun pop song

4. GOOYOW - We already know - Reminds me of the Beatles transitioning into Beautiful Day-ish vibe.

5. American Soul - Sounds much better in the context of the album...Kendrick Lamar fits in beautifully between tracks 4/5

6. Summer of Love - Same vein as A Man and a Woman, a bit of a Spanish vibe

7.Red Flag Day - Reminds me of early punk from The Police, or perhaps a calmer version of Green Day (if that makes sense)

8. The Showman - The Beatles/The Beach Boys-ish - Great backup vocals by The Edge

9. TLTTGYA - Stunning...I love it. It is the MOS or SYCMIOYO of this album

10. Landlady - Ends abruptly but very pretty

11. Blackout - we all know - it's good. It's Muse/The Killers but better

12. LIBTAIIW - Nice loud chorus, too short, expected more of a lift off. Not entirely sure where they were going with this one.

13. 13 (Song for Someone) - much better than SFS. Some of the same lyrics but the music is better.

The album is great and very varied in style.

Like I said, only one listen.

2 favorite tracks - Lights of Home and The LIttle Things That Give You Away.

Rob is going to stream it once more - NOW !

Anyone else feel like the LIAWHL bass walk-down on the chorus is an awful lot like the walk-down on Wake Up Dead Man?

I'm sure it's a standard thing, but it was notable for me.

Would greatly appreciate it:

Em6972a@student.american.edu

God, this album is awesome folks. Honestly exceeded my expectations. There are some absolutely beautiful tracks here. Can't wait to see them live. Would love to see a LIAWHL intro into Streets.

Can we keep requests in another thread? I’d love to be able to just read everyone’s responses to how the album sounds. Just saying!

Back
Top Bottom