SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol sorry, bringing up old memories of the pre-NLOTH leak.

NLOTH leaked? I remember an online music store in Australia (I want to say it was Amazon for some reason) loaded up previews of all 11 tracks in error vs just Boots.

I don’t remember it leaking but now that I think of it, maybe it did about a week or two prior to release and I just waited waited for the official release.

NLOTH leaked? I remember an online music store in Australia (I want to say it was Amazon for some reason) loaded up previews of all 11 tracks in error vs just Boots.

I don’t remember it leaking but now that I think of it, maybe it did about a week or two prior to release and I just waited waited for the official release.
Yeah it was that Australian store. Leading up to it, there was a girl from Spain that kept cleaning that she was going to leak the album. She even said she was getting death threats. Lol

Yeah nloth leaked roughly a week before it came out. 500 thousand people illegally downloaded it if I remember right. I remember putting it on a disc and listening to it to death :) still brought all various editions they brought out. I even brought the stupid book version they brought out

500 thousand people illegally downloaded it and almost that many still bought the album the first week. That's how much momentum they had at that point. Wow.

How quickly things change. And how it isn't just them. After No line is when the whole industry just fell apart, and searched for a new way out, and streaming finally has become the best answer.

500 thousand people illegally downloaded it and almost that many still bought the album the first week. That's how much momentum they had at that point. Wow.

How quickly things change. And how it isn't just them. After No line is when the whole industry just fell apart, and searched for a new way out, and streaming finally has become the best answer.

Yeah I'm more or less 99.9% certain there were various reports quoting half a million. Then it did 4.5 - 5 million copies sold

1I Dreamed a Dream Susan Boyle
2The E.N.D.The Black Eyed Peas
3This Is ItMichael Jackson
4FearlessTaylor Swift
5The FameLady Gaga
6Crazy LoveMichael Bublé
7No Line on the HorizonU2
8ThrillerMichael Jackson
9Number OnesMichael Jackson
10My Christmas Andrea Bocelli

7th top selling album that year and biggest for a band, whether you class the black eyed peas as a band is up to yourselves:)

I think NLOTH is the only album that did absolutely nothing for them. You could remove it from their discography and it wouldn't matter a jot.

I think NLOTH is the only album that did absolutely nothing for them. You could remove it from their discography and it wouldn't matter a jot.

Totally totally agree, terrible record. I loved it when it came out but haven't listened to it for years. Breathe/mos/nloth are half decent songs but the rest I never listen to

I've got my wife to go through MTV and I've done it through the u2 link

Unfortunately for me I saw the MTV news before I checked my emails and did one through them aswell. Hopefully they don't cancel my double application. But it did say the u2.com post was separate and if you didn't get picked for that you would automatically be put in the MTV one.

Weird. I didn't see and now can't find a link on U2.com for it. Went through mtv though, so I'll see you there - I'm sure only about 7000 people applied right?! :lol:

Totally totally agree, terrible record. I loved it when it came out but haven't listened to it for years. Breathe/mos/nloth are half decent songs but the rest I never listen to

It's not as bad as Pop...but at least Pop rubbed people the wrong way (or excited them beyond reasonable belief).

NLOTH...has a couple of nice songs...but it's pretty bland...strange, given the fact they were 'experimenting'...:rolleyes:

It's not as bad as Pop...but at least Pop rubbed people the wrong way (or excited them beyond reasonable belief).

NLOTH...has a couple of nice songs...but it's pretty bland...strange, given the fact they were 'experimenting'...:rolleyes:

Interestingly, it was a variation of the Pop problem striking again. With Pop, they’d booked the tour and so didn’t have time to finish the record. With NLOTH, they’d committed to the 360 concept, which required a big bouncy stage show, and were on the path to making a moody, reflective record. That wasn’t going to work, so we got...what we got. As well as a compromised record, they didn’t even get the big bouncy stage show right until the third year in.

‘08-‘10 was an exercise in spending every cent of the cultural capital they’d earned in ‘00-‘06. With the right setlist, Glasto could have recovered it... but no.

Last edited:
NLOTH is the freaking Joshua Tree compared to SOI...or anything I've heard from SOE.

NLOTH is the last U2 record before they stopped trying to be great. Actually, it's just the last U2 record period. Because the thin, over produced, directionless, compromised, uninspired, pandering, largely soulless sound of what they're doing now sound nothing like the band I love. Everything sounds like a b-side now.

NLOTH was a beautiful failure in many ways. But they failed at least trying to do something great.

Last edited:
To me NLOH is their worst album. SOI is now one of my favorites so it was truly a return to form and a sort of miracle (sorry Joey Ramone but not that type of miracle). And for the record Achtung/Zooropa/Pop is the holy triumvirate for me but SOI is still special and SOE should at least be in the same league.

Weird. I didn't see and now can't find a link on U2.com for it. Went through mtv though, so I'll see you there - I'm sure only about 7000 people applied right?! :lol:

Application for the event closed at midday I think it was

NLOTH is the freaking Joshua Tree compared to SOI...or anything I've heard from SOE.

NLOTH is the last U2 record before they stopped trying to be great. Actually, it's just the last U2 record period. Because the thin, over produced, directionless, compromised, uninspired, pandering, largely soulless sound of what they're doing now sound nothing like the band I love. Everything sounds like a b-side now.

NLOTH was a beautiful failure in many ways. But they failed at least trying to do something great.

:giggle:

I'll just leave it at :giggle:

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. Lights of Home
3. You’re The Best Thing About Me
4. Get out of Your Own Way
5. American Soul
6. Summer of love
7. Red Flag Day
8. The Showman (Little More Better)
9. The Little Things That Give You Away
10. Landlady
11. The Blackout
12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
13. 13 (There is a Light)
14. Ordinary Love (Extraordinary Mix)
15. Book Of Your Heart
16. Lights in Front of Me (String Arrangement)
17. You're The Best Thing About Me (U2 vs. Kygo)

Check track 16. BOL.com discription of new u2 album:hmm:

U2 is a rabbit staring in the lights of a passing truck.

But there should be Some great songs on the new album but don't think it's a coherent album. Last one was atyclb. After that you get Some great tracks on poor albums

Yes, NLOTH was the last album where they tried to be a bit adventurous. However, that album still included songs like Get On Your Boots and I’ll Go Crazy - some of my least favourite ever U2 songs. There has only been one album since then, and we haven’t even heard the majority of SOE yet.

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. Lights of Home
3. You’re The Best Thing About Me
4. Get out of Your Own Way
5. American Soul
6. Summer of love
7. Red Flag Day
8. The Showman (Little More Better)
9. The Little Things That Give You Away
10. Landlady
11. The Blackout
12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
13. 13 (There is a Light)
14. Ordinary Love (Extraordinary Mix)
15. Book Of Your Heart
16. Lights in Front of Me (String Arrangement)
17. You're The Best Thing About Me (U2 vs. Kygo)

Check track 16. BOL.com discription of new u2 album:hmm:

BOL.com probably made a mistake. I doubt that that title of track 16 is correct.

I'd go with the tracklisting that u2.com has.

NLOTH is just far too compromised by the middle. SOI has a couple of high quality songs in Cedarwood Road and The Troubles, which are as good or better than anything on NLOTH, and it has a more cohesive sound (an overproduced and all too sleek one, granted) and settled theme.

If they hadn't wussed out on the Morocco sessions, and if they hadn't fucking shat the bed with tracks 4-7 as a result, NLOTH could have stood as their finest artistic statement of the new millennium. But it's a mess.

BOL.com probably made a mistake. I doubt that that title of track 16 is correct.

I'd go with the tracklisting that u2.com has.

Plus the guy who's actually heard the album has confirmed it's Lights of Home with strings.

That random website, and a few others, have simply made an error.

Yes, NLOTH was the last album where they tried to be a bit adventurous. However, that album still included songs like Get On Your Boots and I’ll Go Crazy - some of my least favourite ever U2 songs. There has only been one album since then, and we haven’t even heard the majority of SOE yet.

NLOTH is not a perfect record to be sure...it's uneven and there are definitely some clunkers on it.

And I'm probably being too hard on SOI. It's a completely inoffensive collection of pop songs that, if it lacks NLOTH's highs (and lows) at least is somewhat even and cohesive. There are some OK but entirely forgettable songs on it. It's a nice, comfortable record. It could play nicely while you're ordering your mocachino and it wouldn't offend anyone.

SOI's worst offense is that it was made by a band who is capable of so much more.

Last edited:
NLOTH is just far too compromised by the middle. SOI has a couple of high quality songs in Cedarwood Road and The Troubles, which are as good or better than anything on NLOTH, and it has a more cohesive sound (an overproduced and all too sleek one, granted) and settled theme.

If they hadn't wussed out on the Morocco sessions, and if they hadn't fucking shat the bed with tracks 4-7 as a result, NLOTH could have stood as their finest artistic statement of the new millennium. But it's a mess.

I don't really disagree with any of this specifically. NLOTH is a mess, and it is compromised in the middle, and it is a pity that they wussed out, as you said. But at least it sounded like U2 was still trying. I can still hear the band that made Bad in there.

Cedarwood and The Troubles (along with Iris IMO) are highlights on SOI. But that's relatively speaking. I don't think they're anywhere near good as NLOTH or MOS or Fez/BB.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom